[REQ] Light Priority

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

[REQ] Light Priority

Post by pixie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Now the ligh relevance is according to it's power, which can be at times a bit cumbersome, my suggestion was to add a 0-10 value so that the priority for that light is set. Amiga task schedular had something of the like, if you gave 10 tasks the same value, they would have the same amount of time computed, if you happen to given half that value only half of the time.
It would be nice to stop a given light contribution and focus on others.

CTZn

Re: [REQ] Light Priority

Post by CTZn » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:09 pm

pixie wrote:It would be nice to stop a given light contribution and focus on others.
Relates with http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... php?t=4794

I think your request, and mine by the way, are a bit shy. Granted, yours is layer-independent. I'd rather see an automatized normalization based on an estimator over splatted samples.

In other words, Indigo would scale the powers automatically so all lights would contribute by the same amount to the rendered image. Pausing/throttling lights would then become irrelevant. Layers would not be used to conceal the noisy lamps.

Hoping I'm making sense.

I assume it's no easy task also; say, if a glossy transparent is partially masking the incoming rays from a lamp (local discrepancies), then this lamp may result overpowered overall. Pausing/throttling is probably more of a reasonable option for now ?
obsolete asset

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 pm

CTZn wrote:
pixie wrote:It would be nice to stop a given light contribution and focus on others.
Relates with http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... php?t=4794

I think your request, and mine by the way, are a bit shy. Granted, yours is layer-independent. I'd rather see an automatized normalization based on an estimator over splatted samples.

In other words, Indigo would scale the powers automatically so all lights would contribute by the same amount to the rendered image. Pausing/throttling lights would then become irrelevant. Layers would not be used to conceal the noisy lamps.

Hoping I'm making sense.

I assume it's no easy task also; say, if a glossy transparent is partially masking the incoming rays from a lamp (local discrepancies), then this lamp may result overpowered overall. Pausing/throttling is probably more of a reasonable option for now ?
Indeed, a pausing/throttling switch would also fit this very well!

lycium

Post by lycium » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:53 pm

We've considered a feature like this several times in the past, and while it can be very useful in experienced hands, there's unfortunately also plenty of scope for less experienced users to make their rendering extremely inefficient with such a feature.

For example, we already run into situations where users will take a light layer gain from 1 to 10, meaning the light gets under-sampled by a factor of 10 relative to its final brightness. You could exploit this by manually scaling the brightness of various lights and then adjusting in the light layers, but this is somewhat cumbersome...

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:47 am

lycium wrote:We've considered a feature like this several times in the past, and while it can be very useful in experienced hands, there's unfortunately also plenty of scope for less experienced users to make their rendering extremely inefficient with such a feature.

For example, we already run into situations where users will take a light layer gain from 1 to 10, meaning the light gets under-sampled by a factor of 10 relative to its final brightness. You could exploit this by manually scaling the brightness of various lights and then adjusting in the light layers, but this is somewhat cumbersome...
I constantly have the 'start rendering, jack up light levels, quit, adjust lights in Blender, start rendering, tweak light levels, quit...' syndrome ;) Once/if Indigo can get integrated within Blender, I'm sure that will be much more streamlined.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:48 am

lycium wrote:We've considered a feature like this several times in the past, and while it can be very useful in experienced hands, there's unfortunately also plenty of scope for less experienced users to make their rendering extremely inefficient with such a feature.
*Pompous advocacy warning*

Glare Technologies has been doing a truely fantastic work in terms of software performances, I'm saying this with much evidences. Thanks to artists like StompinTom among many.

I have no right to direct anyone down here, but I am entitled to request more awesomness for those who can harness a powerfull beast.

Of course there is the matter of the renderer integration wich is probably a valuable argument enough to forget about that notorious syndrome wich Tom depicted.

But there's also the matter of education. It has just started. I believe that it is the right thing to get anyone up, granted the motivation that the works above will definitely inspire.

Now that's embarrassing, because GT is a small team really, essentially dedicated to what it does best (special mention to the promising video tutorials lycium presented though). Also embarrassing from me, a living example of counter-productivity I recon :oops: Embarrassing from me again because that point of view might be mine only; that's the kind of thing I can endorse (my untimely integrity, you know).

But education is the vehicule of knowledge, and knowledge the condition to the righteous actions. The righteous ways to harness a true beast, as opposed to the kitten Indigo can not be anyways.

However, since that can most also can least, it remains possible to dumb down features provided that this would be an optional move.

For the sake of awesomness, word.

In no case would I ask for the silly, though I may be able to show otherwise. You tell me :) As much as this can be about orientation, it's not about hurry.

Your truely.
obsolete asset

lycium

Post by lycium » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:35 am

Better would be, if Indigo simply did a better job in the first place. Nick's been working on some great core improvements, to be continued after 3.2 Stable's out :)

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 am

Popquiz
Here we have three light layer applied to the scene.
popquiz.jpg
Which of the scenes presented (left|right) has:
a) rendered for longer period of time
b) even light strength applied to it

updated: grammar issues
Last edited by pixie on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:42 am

pixie wrote:Popquiz
popquiz.jpg
a) rendered for long time
b) uneven light strengths applied to it
I know I know, red is weaker !!!

Wait, what was the question ?
obsolete asset

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:53 am

Lovly quiz pixie, you nailed it ;)
There may be customers who uses Indigo for work who could run with forks & torches after you for such comments ^^
Why is the user that knows about that "situation" less worth then a total n00b who just plays around with the software???
polygonmanufaktur.de

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:29 am

Hi Guys,
Let me put it this way:
We will either implement a light priority feature, or fix Indigo so that it's not necessary at all.

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:44 am

Whereas on my previous quiz it was all too simple, namely as both questions shared the same answer my next quiz will be a bit harder.
popquizII.jpg
These three pictures makes two set of pairs, which each share the same attribute. Which pair is which, and which attributes would those be.

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:55 am

CTZn wrote:
pixie wrote:Popquiz
popquiz.jpg
a) rendered for long time
b) uneven light strengths applied to it
I know I know, red is weaker !!!

Wait, what was the question ?
:lol:

Well, in both scenes we have that Red is weaker then Green is weaker then Blue by a 1:100 ratio.
And both have been rendered with the same amount of time (3m), so how can we have the right image so much cleaner then left?
Whereas on the left I left Indigo do it's stuff, on right I rendered each pass separate for 1 minute, merging them thereafter.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:59 am

OnoSendai wrote:Hi Guys,
Let me put it this way:
We will either implement a light priority feature, or fix Indigo so that it's not necessary at all.
This way helps understanding better, thanks !
Zom-B wrote:Why is the user that knows about that "situation" less worth then a total n00b who just plays around with the software???
Besides, Indigo is simple enough already.

It's not a complex thing, though not a random one either to set relevant material parameters. You got to have an idea of the real thing (use references in addition to just textures !), the schemes themselves are rather intuitive.

@pixie: Sound, gold trick thank you ! http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 29#p114429
obsolete asset

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:44 am

easy way: set 'Light Normalization' on in indigo for cinema 4d, and set each and every light to the same amount of lumen,apply different layers to different groups, and in indigo set the relative power to your taste. It works like a charm.

31 posts