Large Resolution Windows Lockup

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
fractal.design

Large Resolution Windows Lockup

Post by fractal.design » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:28 am

Hello,

If I try a huge resolution render, Indigo uses all the available memory resources, locking up Windows.

Maybe this function call can work: GlobalMemoryStatusEx

Hope that helps.

Oliver

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Large Resolution Windows Lockup

Post by Zom-B » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:31 am

yes, to high SubDiv or SuperSampling can crash your System :/

If there is a possibility that Indigo crashes instead (or at least stops working and tells you why!),
then you have my +1
polygonmanufaktur.de

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Troll : use a good operating system :)

More seriously, I am surprised that in 2012 you still can crash a system by allocating too much memory in a standard app. Does working under a standard user account prevent this?

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:47 pm

If someone finds a simple solution that you can apply to multiple programs I'd be happy (DAMN YOU 3DSMAX). It's natural no matter how much memory you have, you always want to push the limits =P

But on topic, just for indigo it would be useful to prevent data loss/system restarts.

fractal.design

Post by fractal.design » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:38 pm

Yes, apparently it is still possible.

I haven't tested with a standard user account..

There is that function which coders must implement to check resources: GlobalMemoryStatusEx
MacOS performs a similar test automatically.

or so I have been told.

Anyway, hope that helps.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:33 pm

galinette wrote:Troll : use a good operating system :)

More seriously, I am surprised that in 2012 you still can crash a system by allocating too much memory in a standard app. Does working under a standard user account prevent this?

Etienne
Yeah, Windows 7 does a rubbish job of this. If a program takes too much memory, then Windows will start paging it to disk, and then grind to a complete halt, allocating so few cycles to the GUI that a reset is required. Pretty lame for 2012.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:51 pm

Adobe has a setting for AE and PS where you choose how much RAM the program is allowed to allocate max...
But wouldn't be a general "paging to disk" forbidance for Indigo possible to halt all operations and release RAM before doing so?

I also dislike about Indigo, that closing it during scene build up waits for finishing that, instead of a clean direct shut :/
polygonmanufaktur.de

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:42 am

Bumping an old topic and wondering if anyone has found some kind of solution yet.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:52 am

Yeah it's really scary to hear and see windows growing the virtual memory in all extents, too much stress for the system and its owner.
obsolete asset

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:32 am

OnoSendai wrote:Yeah, Windows 7 does a rubbish job of this. If a program takes too much memory, then Windows will start paging it to disk, and then grind to a complete halt, allocating so few cycles to the GUI that a reset is required. Pretty lame for 2012.
I had this too often with C4D and too high subdev settings or similar :x

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:44 pm

I wrote a small script in AutoHotkey to kill apps when memory utilization hits the desired value. It's my first real attempt at any scripting language so the blocks and syntax are really messy - I encourage people to read it, edit it, play with the settings, test it with different apps, etc. and to post your version here -- The main thing is that it works. I figured noone was going to make it for me so I might as well try. I am sure using a real programming language would have better results given the greater control you have over windows memory handling, etc.

Script attached in rar (.ahk).

To run the script you will need Autohotkey:
Runs as a little H in the taskbar (can right click to exit, etc)
http://www.autohotkey.com/

The script uses sysinternals pskill.exe:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb896683
The PSTools.zip will contain all the ps tools. You only need pskill.exe. You can place it in the same folder as the script or for tidyness sake in your windows folder.

If memory is filled before the script can kill the application, windows will become unresponsive for a period of time. The application has been killed, windows just takes a long time to recover from 100% memory utilization, on my system that can be 5-10 minutes. This happens because memory can fill quicker than the script is looping, if it happens a lot, set the kill level % lower.

I suggest testing it at lower kill levels to begin with to make sure the script can run pskill.exe (some anti virus programs won't let it run, sometimes windows path variables aren't set properly). To test you can just set the level to 1% and open indigo.exe, it should be killed right away.

Shift+Esc to exit at anytime
Shift+F1 to kill the selected app at anytime

I will add a fancy interface in time that will be much more useful (less annoying) than the popup boxes and tooltip.
Attachments
MemKiller_alpha.rar
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Just a warning about the pstools, they are a sensitive material that can be used remotely. They are network tools really. I miss pskill.exe (when MS kill.exe wouldn't do).

Cool idea ENSLAVER, may do.
obsolete asset

12 posts • Page 1 of 1