Page 1 of 1

Pinus

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:34 am
by fenerolina
Hi!
I looked for a good pine tree in the net without having succes. I'm sorry to say that but all SkUp trees looks very uggly! So I decided to model one from scratch. In this model there are only 3 repeated/rotated/scaled/instanced groups: The central trunk, a branch (the whole tree has the same branch) and a little branch texture I'm cooking to upload. (similar to the fern texture).
So at least it wasn't so difficult! I think it took me about 4 hours to model and texture the whole tree.

Re: Pinus

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:52 am
by wojtek-w
looks great. congrats.
SU trees are weak indeed...

cheers

Re: Pinus

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:50 am
by Pibuz
These are amzing fenerolina :shock: :shock: :shock:
Any chance we see them shared one day in the future? :wink:

I see you're very good at modeling organic shapes in SU: perhaps you could make a tutorial?
Su vegetation is really ugly, indeed.. but your work really boost the quality :wink:

I had some problems rendering your trees lately..
I'll try again and I'll let you know.
Thank you a lot for your work in the meanwhile!

Re: Pinus

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:17 am
by Whaat
very nice! Please upload to 3D warehouse.

Re: Pinus

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:35 pm
by fenerolina
Hey! Glad you like the tree. :D

I'm sorry but I can't share the model at the moment, as Pibuz says maybe one day in the future...
But here are some sceenshots from SkUp I made for you to understand the process. It's a pleasant work and not so hard to do if you have some real pictures as models.
First I model the trunk: push pull+, scale, move. See the first picture.
Then I model the branch: same technique but more curvy shape.
Along this branch I added copies of the same but scaled and rotated following an easy fractal stucture and common sense.( sun and branch position) See 2nd and 3rdpictures.
I applied the pine branch texture. 4th picture.
I copied scaled and rotated the same texturized branch along the trunk and dummy instanced it.
I have fortunately lot of work in the wood shop so, sorry, don't have time to make a more detailed tut.

Re: Pinus

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:19 pm
by Jeff
Very lovely tree you got there! Looks like the real thing on those renderings. Thanks a lot for sharing your work flow on how you did it. I also attempted modeling a couple of trees a few months ago. I probably got the leaf right but the trunk and branches just look horrible as they are formed by just connecting long cylinders and cones. Will try modifying it using these tips you posted.Using dummy instancing for the leafs and branches is really clever.

Re: Pinus

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:18 am
by fenerolina
Thank you Jeff, I remember your tree but above all I remember the awesome forests renders you made with it.
I'm looking forward to see your new tree renders...

Re: Pinus

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:43 pm
by zeitmeister
Fantastic!

Re: Pinus

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 pm
by dakiru
Great stuff!

Re: Pinus

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:13 am
by Thom
SketchUp win! I might try this out some time :)

Re: Pinus

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:37 am
by hcpiter
First render is so good :) ! very nice !