A string instrument

Show off your final renders
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
MadSwede

A string instrument

Post by MadSwede » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:44 pm

Well, I'm afraid I couldn't keep up with the quality of my previous work but here goes. Regarding the instrument, to my defence I'll say that it looked good in my concept sketches even though the result could be compared to an un-ergonomic fretless guitar with some curls...or possibly a weapon.

As for the scene, this was my first setup, explaining the level of detail in the cabinet (or whatever it's called), curtain and plant.

However, I couldn't get a composition I liked so after a few other placements I settled on this. All wood-textures are from cgtextures. The wallpaper bump and decorations I made with inkscape and the textures for the plant (not visible in the final) are baked procedurals.

Quite a lot of post in PS so here's the original rendering as well.

Edit: I'll just add that what (imo) prevented this from being a really good image was my choise of wood for the body of the instrument.
Attachments
InstrumentFinal.jpg
Blender 2.47, Indigo 1.1.11, 4600spp
InstrumentFinal.jpg (109.63 KiB) Viewed 3510 times

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi Mad!
..i agree with you about the texture you used for the instrument: generally, woods for guitars are something VERY shiny, they have sort of a coating which covers them all.. Perhaps you can try enhancing this, first of all!
Then...i really love the wood mat for the table! I think it makes the table feel SO materic, really! Which are the settings for that?
The rest is partially out of focus, so i can't see very well if there are bad textures or mapping, but the FOV gives a nice feeling to the image for sure!
Nice overall work!

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:08 am

Besides the shinyness, the saturation of the guitar wood also was far too strong... Desaturate a bit... ;) (and not just in post-pro... The other things where nicely saturate. Now, they're dull...)
Overall compo is very good, though :)

MadSwede

Post by MadSwede » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:31 am

Pibuz
Yep, guitars generally have a reflective finish, even though it isn't as much in the wood as the...(out of words here, but you know the process I mean).

Kram
I usually don't care for too saturated images but I guess the result was a tad sombre. I'm working on a better texture for the instrument and tweaking the light in the scene.

A good reminder that you should never rush an image just because it's occupied your computers RAM and processor for 30 hours :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:56 am

I usually don't care for too saturated images
By the way may I ask you the ceiling RGB :D ?

The details are well done... for my taste the design is gothic, as in architecture. Straight and massive. Well not that straight luckly :)
obsolete asset

F.ip2

Post by F.ip2 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:58 pm

MadSweden

how did you do those wood textures for the table and bend legs?
The table looks pretty real.

Are those procedurals or images maps where you scanned in n grain
and side grains?

I cannot tell it thus I am asking.

Would u mind sharing how you did it?

Claas
--
C l a a s E i c k e K u h n e n
Artist : Designer : Educator

Assistant Professor Industrial Design
Kendall College of Art and Design
of Ferris State University

MadSwede

Post by MadSwede » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:10 pm

Claas
Although I've used baked procedurals (god I love Blender) in a few pictures I haven't posted here, I'm afraid this is just some half-clever unwrapping.
As I said in my first post, all wood textures are from cgtextures. It was 0020 on this page I believe: http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=14119

The end-piece took me a few tries to fit in a way that seemed at least quasi-realistic. The side of the table and end of the leg (it's only the closest one that's unwrapped that carefully btw) may look pretty good but real wood doesn't actually look like that.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1