Sunny afternoon

Show off your final renders
BbB

Sunny afternoon

Post by BbB » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:51 am

Hey guys.
I've been trying to add an interior to my latest street exterior. So here it is, recycling some architectural elements from the aforementioned scene (though positioned differently. I tried to take into account Oleg's comments about the trees (no dead trees this time, but Xfrog and Evermotion plants). I'm afraid I didn't pay too much attention to the golden rule again, so I stand to be corrected on that.
Apart from the tree, it's all self-modeled, though quite a few elements come from older scenes of mine. The blurry chair in the background outside is a free model I got off the web.
This was one of my longest-cooking images. A real bitch to render - cooked over 30 hours at 2100x1800. Here downsampled to 1000 height. No glare while cooking but added later in Violet. Minor contrast tweaking in post.
C&Cs much welcome.
Attachments
InteriorOptim.jpg
InteriorOptim.jpg (191.81 KiB) Viewed 2528 times

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:06 am

Much better than your last scene, where you used those pillows :D

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:09 am

Better and better !
The background makes it look so real... And the wooden ground is perfect (do you use some exponent map btw ? Or just one bump map ?).
The trees look really convincing.
I just noticed some strange reflections on the left window.
Appart from that... perfect.
I wouldn't bother too much with that golden number if I were you.

BbB

Post by BbB » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:17 am

Thanks a lot guys.
Yep Dr, the left windows was one of these situations where you've left the pic render for 15 hours and realise something's wrong but don't have the courage to relaunch it again. :oops: I would say the same about the pillows, whose white is a bit too white.
Yes, the floor uses both bump (very little) and exponent (very strong) maps.
So, what have you been up to Doc?

kwez

Post by kwez » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:37 am

wooow.
"hey, close 'em doors, leaves are getting in !" ;-p

just curious : what is that round "shadow" on the brick, right window, partially hidden by the horizontal base of the semi-circle window ?

there's something about the two metal pots outside ... depending on where my eye 'rests', they seem a bit "pasted in" !!??
maybe something about position vs other objects & being near the limits of DOF ? vs the bricks near the room ???

(hehe, probably me just going nuts ! ;-p)

I also really like the effect of the exterior looks so real .. adds to the interior.

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:48 am

Playing with new blender cloth !
Appart from that I'm working on some interior shots, but I'm still fighting with bevels. Haven't found a simple-all-purpose bevelling technique yet.
But anyway, let's stop spoiling your post !

The more I look your last picture, the more I like the background. It adds much depth to your comp, and is almost undistinguishable from a real photo.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:49 am

"fix me, I'm a mapping error, and ugly!"
Attachments
fix_me.jpg
fix_me.jpg (18.81 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
polygonmanufaktur.de

BbB

Post by BbB » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:41 am

Doc, spoil as you wish. It's bee too long since we've last seen something from you.

Yes Zomb. That's what I meant with the left window. It'll be one to be corrected in post, I believe. Call me a wimp but I don't have the heart to let this one cook a minute longer - let alone re-render it :wink:

Kwez: You're right about that. I'm just seeing it now. Definitely weird. I'll check the original to see appeared after postprod (Don't have it on my laptop).
As for the pots. I think I know what you mean and I think it's to do with the fact that the couch blocks their shadows on the floor so our eye tells our brain they're floating.

BbB

Post by BbB » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:49 am

There u go Zomb. Nothing a little PShoping won't fix. :wink:
Attachments
interioroptim_174.jpg
interioroptim_174.jpg (259.13 KiB) Viewed 2421 times

Vanessa07

Post by Vanessa07 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:53 pm

So nice render, nothing to say :shock: :D :shock:

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:07 pm

BbB wrote:There u go Zomb. Nothing a little PShoping won't fix. :wink:
Maybe also a good Job for the new render region feature ;-)

So far a great image, only the plants are a little strange for my eyes.
Its mainly the lack of visible leaf texture! The plant in the middle also seems very bright, and the orange tree on the right oversaturated...
No big deal, I think its just the "Uncanny Vally" effect, because your image just looks so real :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

BbB

Post by BbB » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:55 pm

You're right Z. I should have gone over the orange tree textures and desaturated them. That would have left all textures with the same saturation value, and therefore the ability to correct the saturation in post for the entire picture. Perhaps I can do that in Pshop too.

What really puzzles me is this black spot on the window. No idea what that could be...

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:36 am

Excellent scene BbB. I like the colorful orange tree. Everything looks ok to me except the windows/door glass has no reflection, or at least it appears to me there is no reflection. Maybe this was brought up earlier in this post, I read it a few days ago but didn't have time to respond.

That black spot, the one above the right window/door? Not sure what that could be. Dirty camera lens maybe? :)

Back to the orange tree, it is located in the sun so it could be true that it appears more colorful. While the rest of the scene is mostly indirectly lit by the sun/blue sky that could result in the bluish/less saturated colors maybe?

I like the mini trees. They look somewhat like maple trees.
Content contained in my posts is for informational purposes only and is used at your own risk.

BbB

Post by BbB » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:41 am

Hey Wedge. The glass has IOR of 1.52, but it could be that the lack of strong reflection comes from the fact that the courtyard gets more light than the interior, which in real life would mean a lot less visible reflection than the other way round.

doublez

Post by doublez » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Very nice BbB!

17 posts