Berlin courtyard (abduction/recycling)

Show off your final renders
BbB

Berlin courtyard (abduction/recycling)

Post by BbB » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi all,
Here are a few things that have been cooking overnight at BBB Towers.
I wanted to take a break from glossy interiors and go to the opposite end of the cleanliness spectrum.
This scene is relatively low-poly, as you can tell from the close-up of the car. The displaced ground accounts for about 300 ,000 of the total 500,000 polys. I did most of the textures from photos of an actual Berlin courtyard I took last weekend. The textures for the ground, trees and car are from CGTextures.com, reworked in PShop. The mapping of the building on the left could have been better. I noticed the problems only after rendering though...
I'll be posting a night version tonight. It's looking good but it's taking a hell of a lot longer to clear. I'm also thinking of doing a foggy one...
Attachments
CarS.jpg
CarS.jpg (180.77 KiB) Viewed 5844 times
CourtyardBW.jpg
CourtyardBW.jpg (343.3 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
sunnyS.jpg
sunnyS.jpg (234.47 KiB) Viewed 5845 times
DarkS.jpg
DarkS.jpg (199 KiB) Viewed 5844 times
Last edited by BbB on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SmartDen
Developer

Post by SmartDen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:27 pm

You bastard! You've done another excellent work!
Last edited by SmartDen on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa07

Post by Vanessa07 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:31 pm

Greatfull BbB, again very very good renders :o

+2 for realism and details

you never sleep? Every two days you've got new finished renders (you've got a wife, incredible :lol:)

I love the last one, car texture and ground are so realistic.

Is it a real photo of a street and are you going to do other point of view?

Pinko5

Post by Pinko5 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 pm

quote SmartDen !!!!!!!
Luca. ;)

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:58 pm

Holy shit that's amazing ! You've got to show us the wireframe. Did you use one single texture for the wall on the left ?
It's impossible to notice it's low-poly. In fact at first sight I found the first image was your reference photo !
Apart from those technical remarks, that scene has an incredible mood.
... stunning !

Marcofly

Post by Marcofly » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Bertrand, i am speechless! The first image is awesome! It really reminds me of a winter german morning!!

Ciao!!! :wink:

Camox
2nd Place Winner

Post by Camox » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:16 pm

Where are the renders, I see only photos ? :roll: :shock:
I am speechless too !!!

:D :D :D :D :D

BbB

Post by BbB » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:57 pm

Cheers mates. Very glad you like it.

drBouvierLeduc
No problem. I'll upload the wireframe when I'm back from work. Yes, each building has one texture map, built from six different photos. Given the resolution of the photos, I could have built a 60m-pixel map for each facade. But that sent Photoshop crashing and I'm not sure if Indigo would have handled such large maps. So I ended up having to halve the resolution. That's why the wall looks so blurry and pixellated in the close-up.
It's a pretty bad scene for close-ups anyway, also because of the low-poly models.

Vanessa07
The street was the biggest challenge. I had a very hard time finding a tarmac texture big and detailed enough to cover so much ground. So I took a shot on CGTextures, made it tileable, and built a map four times as large by tiling it four times in one image. I then used the clone tool to introduce variations and break the tiling. That left me with a large-enough seamless road texture - but still not large enough for convincing close-ups (hence the DOF blurriness in the last image, which is here to hide the low level of details.
The next challenge was to make the water and create variations between wet and dry tarmac. The water is a plane covering the whole area and placed just underneath the road. After subdividing the road mesh, I used the sculpt tool to create areas of depression, revealing the water underneath. Then I took a screengrab in Blender in top view and imported that in Photoshop. There, I superimposed it over my road texture and painted a mask, covering in black the areas I wanted to leave dry. I used this B&W image a weight map to blend two road mats - a diffuse, dry one and a phong wet one, which I also made slightly darker.
(And since you're asking - no, I don't sleep much ;-). As for my wife, she's travelling right now and will be back next week, which is when my image productivity is going to take a serious hit!)

Vanessa07

Post by Vanessa07 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:18 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for these details, I have a street to model near the school I show in "work in progress", will try to do something simple I think, not enough time... will post preview now

other point of view?

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:25 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

one of the best renders I've seen here. amazing. :)

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:49 pm

Simply tremendous.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:00 am

BBB, there are no words, really..
nor words or emoticons, i should say..

My best compliments, my friend!

So, given that now we're friends ( :wink: ) i dare to ask you something huge: i see you're a demi-god (no hyperboles, i swear) in setting materials and lighting. Would it be too much for you to make up a specific tutorial based on one of your images (let's say this one) to let us know yourmodeling procedure, your lighting settings and your excellent work on materials?
It would be of great help for anyone here who wants to learn :roll: ...

Obviously, this wouldn't have any restriction: you could do your tut anytime you've a little spare time and you're willing to..

Think about it and let us know!! :D

PS. This should be another poll request:
DO YOU WANT BBB TO MAKE THIS GREAT SCENE TUTORIAL? :wink:

BbB

Post by BbB » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:08 am

Vanessa07
Yes, I fully intend to milk this scene as much as I can. I'll do other POVs in addition to the night version that's cooking right now. I also had in mind to do some not entirely realistic scenarios. We'll see if that works.

dougal2 Stinkie
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Pibuz
Cheers (though I do detect a hint of hyperbole ;-)
Happy to make a tut about the various aspects of this image, if you bear with me for a few days. What do you guys think would be the best way? A pdf? Do you know of any free software to make them?

doublez

Post by doublez » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:45 am

Great work BbB! I'd like to see a wireframe to know what you modeled and what you bumpmapped. Sorry I don't know any free pdf converters.

metapixel

Post by metapixel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:54 am

:shock: Fantastic :shock: can you post the wire? :shock: :shock:

83 posts