Chess set

Show off your final renders
13 posts • Page 1 of 1
tweeby

Chess set

Post by tweeby » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:25 am

I call my project finished for now might tweak some stuff in the future.

ThatDude33

Post by ThatDude33 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:47 am

Really nice. The only thing I can comment on is the vase at the back... it could be a bit more out of focus, but the rest is awesome!
Matt B. >>Maya To Indigo<<

tweeby

Post by tweeby » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:52 pm

Yeah i had lot of problems with the focus and stuff had to re render, it about 3 times before i was satisfied but i only rendered them for 15 mins, but it was annoying, this render was about 4 hours and 20 minutes.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:54 am

Cool chess set! I tried to learn chess but I kept forgetting which pieces moved in which direction.
Content contained in my posts is for informational purposes only and is used at your own risk.

tweeby

Post by tweeby » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:47 pm

Wedge wrote:Cool chess set! I tried to learn chess but I kept forgetting which pieces moved in which direction.
It took quite a while for me too :)

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:21 am

It was quite easy, to me, but there is one special-rule, that I keep forgetting... something special with the pawns movements...

I'm not a too good chess player, though

That pic is pretty nice!
I'd like the knight beeing more focused, but the vase defocused, more :)

what about a ghosty-hand-chess-anim? xD

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:05 am

Great chess set :) Nice idea to use glass and wood in a single chess set, you don't see that in the real world much ;)
Some ideas about DOF and composition: I agree with other posters that the vase should be a bit out of focus. I'm guessing that the focus is set too far back, perhaps just beyond the chess board? Based on the composition, one might conclude that the subject of interest is the two pawns in the middle of the scene, but the viewer is distracted by other closer chess pieces that take up about a third of the image area, and they're out of focus.

Maybe moving the focus closer so the glass king is in focus will do the trick, or changing the camera location so the bishop, knight, and rook in front are not so "in your face" combined with a closer focus point.

My main hobby is stereoscopic photography and we try to avoid a composition like the one in your image because it can't be viewed comfortably in 3D (stereoscopic).

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:36 am

I'd say, the focus is exactly on the glasspawn in the middle. ;) - it's not THAT far back.

The problem is, that DoF is weaker to too close objects than to too far away ones.
Which definately is no bug, as I can see that in real world, too.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:40 pm

I guessed further back because the vase is in focus. My understanding of DOF is that the depth range in focus extends in equal distances in front and behind the focal plane. So if the pawn is at the focal plane, and the front chess pieces are out of focus, then the vase should also be fuzzy. If you doubt that DOF extends an equal distance in front and behind the focal plane then just check any lens with DOF markings ;)

Or you can verify it graphically at this web site that plots DOF for any lens and f/stop combination:
http://www.dof.pcraft.com/dof.cgi

tweeby

Thank you!

Post by tweeby » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:45 pm

Wow i got a lot of help here really i'd gladly rerender this but, i'm at our summerplace almost the whole summer so i can't render for long i could maybe render about a few hours a week we'll see about that. And i alredy thought about an animation but i only got one computer and it's not very good. Here's the specs. But if many people could render the animation it would be better :) but i don't know if you've got time to render this, but it would be cool if the whole community made some sort of animation together here's my idea for an animation atleast :wink:.

Intel pentium 4, 2.4 GHZ

512 mb ram

Thanks for the DoF link too and the post i learned alot about how to setup my scene now.

kadajawi

Post by kadajawi » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:24 pm

Looks very nice :)

About the rendering... you could always render a few hours and then resume (IndigoResumer is great :D ). Or maybe also set up a Hamachi network to render with several of our computers, tried that with 2 other computers over the internet and it works well, might be interesting to try that out with 10 or 20 computers, just for the fun of it :D (speed should be awesome, hehe. The master needs a fast internet connection though).

deltaepsylon

Post by deltaepsylon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:42 am

i have a friend with a T5 connection, litterally. And im sure he wouldn't mind 'hosting' a ntework rendering for us :)

Roger

Post by Roger » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:44 am

Very good work, nice and realistic result. Though I've never ever seen a chess set with half glass, half wooden peaces :D.
Sander "Roger" Wit
The Netherlands

13 posts • Page 1 of 1