Jack in the box

Show off your final renders
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
Alejandro_66

Jack in the box

Post by Alejandro_66 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:12 am

Here's a simple render i did with the object of testing glass material. Jack in the box is happy because he just emptied the Martini glass... :D
Kind regards to all.
Attachments
Happy Jack.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Jack in the box

Post by Oscar J » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:22 am

Looks like the objects are hovering bit over the ground to me. :)

Alejandro_66

Post by Alejandro_66 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:00 am

Yes you're right Oscar. The glass is really flush with base. I think it's just an illusion created by light and shadow through glass. As for the Jack in the box, i lifted it 1/16", but it looks more than that. A forum member once suggested me to lift furniture sligthly off the ground but i guess it doesn't apply when you have a close up. Always learning... :D

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:32 am

That's a good tip actually, but it should only be like a fraction of a pixel above the ground. Were all here to learn! :)

Alejandro_66

Post by Alejandro_66 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:34 am

Thank you Oscar. Have a great weekend!

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:37 am

Right back at ya. :)

Silmä
2nd Place Winner

Post by Silmä » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 am

The point of lifting furniture up from the ground is to fake the shadow that forms between the object and the floor. In reality that shadow is formed by bevel, but often you can't be bothered to model that kind of detail, so faking it is the next best thing. In close-ups like that there really isn't much choice but to actually model the bevel.

Beveling in general is a good tip to get that little bit of extra realism in your renderings. Everything in this world is beveled, and in addition to that shadow under objects bevels also give you slight highlights in sharp edges.

Here's an example of two unbranded building blocks, one of them is beveled, the other is not. The difference is subtle (and gets lost in the focus blur...), but it's there. Both bricks are flat against the ground plane.
Attachments
blocks.jpg
beveling example

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:44 am

Great tip and example Silmä, thanks.

Alejandro_66

Post by Alejandro_66 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:34 am

Silmä wrote:The point of lifting furniture up from the ground is to fake the shadow that forms between the object and the floor. In reality that shadow is formed by bevel, but often you can't be bothered to model that kind of detail, so faking it is the next best thing. In close-ups like that there really isn't much choice but to actually model the bevel.

Beveling in general is a good tip to get that little bit of extra realism in your renderings. Everything in this world is beveled, and in addition to that shadow under objects bevels also give you slight highlights in sharp edges.

Here's an example of two unbranded building blocks, one of them is beveled, the other is not. The difference is subtle (and gets lost in the focus blur...), but it's there. Both bricks are flat against the ground plane.
Thank you very much Silmä! That example is like you say subtle but makes the whole difference. I will use bevels more often from now on. Kind regards.
Alejandro

9 posts • Page 1 of 1