Some new work

Show off your final renders
231 posts
bubs
2nd Place Winner

Some new work

Post by bubs » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 am

Hi guys,

I'd like to post some of stuff I've been working on lately. All done with SketchUp, Indigo & Photoshop.
one of these is a do-over of an old scene you might recognize :wink:

As always C&C most welcome.

PS. I am an Architect and I was definitely after architectural shot as opposed to Interior design type shots, so the lack of entourage / furniture in a lot of the shots is intentional. :wink:

bubs
Attachments
Stair.jpg
mcg1.jpg
FKL.jpg
fahy.jpg
Grafton.jpg
Salk.jpg
dowling.jpg
Bangs.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Some new work

Post by Oscar J » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:26 am

All great images, but I love pic 3,7 and 8 the most. Love how the grand piano and the chairs kinda accentuate the roof angle in pic 8. Well done indeed. The third pic just has that lovely sunny feeling to it, and those über realistic shadows on the wall in pic 7 are really amazing!

Only crit I can think of is that you sometimes have textures that look too repeated, like some of your brick and concrete textures.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Yes! They're all great works: excellent attention to the details (we architects love them.. :lol: ), good texturing work and wonderful lighting. I'm particularly interested in the white plaster mat of the second image, it looks really convincing: how it that made?

PS. I love most the architecture in the third shot :wink:

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:08 am

Thanks guys!

@Oscar J
bubs wrote:Only crit I can think of is that you sometimes have textures that look too repeated, like some of your brick and concrete textures.
The brick on the house exterior was annoying me actually... I did that image quite a while ago, and nearly didn't upload it, as I've never thought the texture was good enough. I've been working on a much better brick recently, and am strongly considering a re-render of that image. I've done a 10min render of the replacement texture below...
brick.jpg
@Pibuz
Pibuz wrote:I'm particularly interested in the white plaster mat of the second image, it looks really convincing: how it that made?
Really easy actually, I made it myself in Photoshop. I'd upload it to the database (if I could...) http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 23&t=12880 :roll:

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:12 am

Don't know where all the devs have gone - they're not answering my mails or PM's. :(

lape

Post by lape » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:47 am

congratulations, very nice work!
24 hours isn't enough
http://www.werkraum3d.com

fenerolina

Post by fenerolina » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:12 pm

I agree with pibuz, that wall plaster looks good. I also like the shader you use in your glases, but maybe too strong on salk image.
First render looks distorted to me, don't know if it's scale related or the field of view you choosed in skp.
I also like 3rd image for the light and composition.
The apple screen on the grafton image gives me urticaria but it's personal.
2nd, 5th, 7th and last render there are parts that looks very realistic and others more CG but you almost have it! Good work, keep doing this.

For the birck texture I think it's better to have a displaced texture for this shot.

And for big texture surfaces, once you have your surface textured right click on the plane and make unique texture, so you can edit (in gimp or ps) that big repetitive texture using it as a background where you can add decals or dirt things on it and stuff like that

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys.
fenerolina wrote:First render looks distorted to me, don't know if it's scale related or the field of view you choosed in skp.
This was an intentionally forced perspective... just the dynamic I was after, but I understand if it's not to your taste.
fenerolina wrote:The apple screen on the grafton image gives me urticaria but it's personal.
You wanna get some cream for that! :wink:
fenerolina wrote:I also like the shader you use in your glases, but maybe too strong on salk image.
Well spotted! the bump map was wrong on that by a factor of 10!
fenerolina wrote:I agree with pibuz, that wall plaster looks good.
Thank very much, but I have to say that this is quite amusing to me! All the comments and tips about how to make textures better, and the one texture 2 of you pick out as good is by far the simplest texture I've ever made! Don't think it would hold up too well in a close-up, but i've always been happy with how it looks for general archviz and so have been using it for years!

Thanks again guys!

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Simplicity is one of the hardest things to achieve :wink:

Ask Mies van der Rohe 8)

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Still can't upload to the material database :x
As soon as it's working again I'll upload the mat. As well as a few others...

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:32 pm

That's wonderful! Thanks a lot!

Pikadili89

Post by Pikadili89 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:48 pm

Incredible work I must say. You don't need to mention you are an architect couse your work already tells us that :)
Really insane level of reality for sketchup in both modeling and rendering, I really like the shrubs and grass, you made them or downloaded from somewhere?

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:35 am

Pikadili89 wrote:I really like the shrubs and grass, you made them or downloaded from somewhere?
I kinda made the grass myself, it actually a mix of 2 grass models, one I made myself (posted it some time ago in the 'Simple Renderings Thread' pages 259 /260) and one I didn't make, but found as a free download on Ronen Bekerman (which I used on my 'Rockmount' competition entry). One was a bit too much like a field, the other had too little variation, together I thought they looked pretty good.

The shrubs are all free stuff from all over the place... 3d warehouse (though there are very few good enough), Xfrog samples page, 3d archive etc etc... have a browse around there's stuff out there to be found! :wink:

Thanks for the kind words.
Last edited by bubs on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:43 am

Sorry bubs: since I read you get some models from archive3D... have you some cool workflow to keep UVmaps embedded in .3ds models? Over there, there are quite a load of models, some of them very complex and cool, but when I download the 3ds files they really mess up when imported into sketchy..

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:55 am

Pibuz wrote:Sorry bubs: since I read you get some models from archive3D... have you some cool workflow to keep UV maps embedded in .3ds models? Over there, there are quite a load of models, some of them very complex and cool, but when I download the 3ds files they really mess up when imported into sketchy..
I have a workflow, but I very much doubt anyone would describe it as cool... :lol: I have found that most (but not all) of the models I've got from Archive 3D do have UV mapping info if the software can read it, so I use Blender initially. Now I have no idea how to use Blender, and after using only SketchUp for years find it's whole user interface very complicated. But... I have managed to teach myself how to do the absolute basics in terms of import / export, move, scale and pick the corresponding image file for the applied materials. This is all just a matter of inputting the path to the texture correctly, if the model has embedded UV mapping the material appear correctly mapped (as if by magic! :lol: ). Once I've done this quick exercise I export as a .obj and they work in SketchUp / Indigo in the normal ext ref manner.

This is probably all very long winded and over complicated, but it works for me...

231 posts