Sunset Render

Show off your final renders
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
ilhanduz

Sunset Render

Post by ilhanduz » Sun May 05, 2013 5:23 am

Hi all,

This is my first post in the forum.
I've made something -maybe a little over post processed. I've modelled it in sketchup. I use Indigo RT, so i can not use IES lights. And i m not pretty much satisfied with the result so any comment will be really useful for me
Attachments
ilhan.jpg

Headroom
Indigo 100

Sunset Render

Post by Headroom » Sun May 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Welcome to the forum. Looks quite nice to me. What is it that you don't like ?
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

lape

Re: Sunset Render

Post by lape » Sun May 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Looks good to me, too. Perhaps some less orange tint?
24 hours isn't enough
http://www.werkraum3d.com

ilhanduz

Post by ilhanduz » Sun May 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks for comments, i cannot describe the thing that i dont like but it seems so "render" to me.

But especially i m not happy with the steel parts, not just about this render, i mean generally. It is really hard for me to create a painted metal with some texture.

And about, orange tint, i agree, i will change it.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun May 05, 2013 11:53 pm

I think that the tint is okay, it's a sunset :) The high contrast is the thing wich bothers me the most.

Could you please post the raw render for comparison ? It may be easier for us to pinpoint technical details.
obsolete asset

ilhanduz

Post by ilhanduz » Mon May 06, 2013 12:04 am

Well, i can not send the raw render, cause i use a different method; i take several renders with different Ev, lets say -1 -2 -3 0 etc. then i blend them at photoshop to have a balanced tonemapping. I stack them at photoshop and have a median/medium effect depending on the situation, but for this one i i can attach one of them. At the beginning i was using this method for reducing the noise; since generally i dont have enough time to render long, i was trying to fix it at photoshop then it became a kind of standart procedure for me.
Attachments
ilhan 2.jpg

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon May 06, 2013 12:27 am

It's alright to do what you did in stacking different exposures in post. I'm no pro but there are three points on wich I think that the renders might be improved:

- exponent maps on the largest surfaces, along with the chairs/tables. Boost'em a bit if present ?
- variation of the lighting temperatures/colours. Technically more involving, this detail adds a lot to the realism of such scenes.
- the point of view is not realistic. Gives a fuzzy feeling with the patterns of tables and chairs I think.
obsolete asset

ilhanduz

Post by ilhanduz » Mon May 06, 2013 7:40 am

by boosting i didnt understand what you mean exactly, maybe it s better to ask how? the texture of the chairs has an exponent map, but for wood, it s really hard to find the exact values for me -reflection/rougness- i searched for IOR values for wood, but unfortunately i could not find something useful, so i try different settings everytime.

And for emitting materials, i m a little afraid to use different variations -especially for interiors and night renders- even if i render long, i can not get rid of the noise and small white dots (I know the 205 rule, but i think still there is something i missing) The more emitting material i use, the longer render time i thin? but i m not sure about this.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 am

I agree with CTZn that a different point of view would enhance image composition. How would it look like from the river bank across or from a boat ?

The orange tint is a result of the setting sun and that's OK. However, assuming this scene is in a somewhat urban environment, in such conditions there is almost always some more ambient light present as a result of street lights partially lit buildings etc. across the river. It would not have to be a very detailed light source either, perhaps a long thin rectangle faintly glowing at a higher (2700 - 3000k) blackbody temperature. Out of view and somewhat distant.

To reduce the white spots you can increase the supersampling factor from the default of 2 to 3 or 4 without penalty in render time. I will increase memory consumption, however ;-)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 08, 2013 2:38 am

Using blackbody emission, it's easy to change the base_emission temperature.

If emission_scale is not used, blackbodies tend to require quite a small gain, closer to 0.0 than to 1.0.

The concern with exponent maps is nearly negligeable then :)
obsolete asset

10 posts • Page 1 of 1