rhino -> sketchup/skindigo -> indigo
Attachments
WL_1250.jpg

Headroom
Indigo 100

birch

Post by Headroom » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Nice rendering!

Is this just a wild idea ( not that there is anything wrong with that) or is this a concept for a structure that will be built for some purpose ?
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

Jeff Hammond
Indigo 100

Re: birch

Post by Jeff Hammond » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:27 pm

real structure..
the purpose? well, to me there's a purpose :wink:
but i'm having someone else interpret my mumbo jumbo talk and put it into something more readable :lol:

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:20 pm

Whatever that is, it is sure pretty awesome!!

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:21 pm

It sure is wicked!
..and good luck having that modeled and textured in SketchUp! :lol:

Jeff Hammond
Indigo 100

Post by Jeff Hammond » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:30 am

thanks guys!

@pibuz
i actually did texture it in sketchup using fredo's ThruPaint plugin (part of his FredoTools suite)
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... 52#p397448

just a great plugin there for texturing in sketchup.. i haven't tried Whaat's new UV solution but i hear it's really great too.

as far as modeling goes though.. yeah, i tried it in sketchup at first and while i think it might be possible to do, it would have taken _f o r e v e r_ to get it accurate/build-able… especially when drawing in all the necessary joinery.. (not shown in the rendering.. i have 3 different approaches for the joinery but i need to have an engineer look over them first before choose one method).
with rhino, i was able to draw it in an afternoon. plus, i have the added advantage of having the model in a format that can communicate with CNC machines :wink:

[edit] here's the initial mess around in sketchup.. while it looks somewhat similar, a lot of it is just faked in order for me to get a visual feel for the project.. if i actually tried to build the sketchup version, it'd be a nightmare because there's really no mathematical relationship between one board and the next..
Attachments
photo.JPG

triplej28

Post by triplej28 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Nice little architecture intervention there.. It's interesting how you went from Rhino to Sketchup to Indigo ( I guess everyone's workflow is different.

I experimented pieces like that before.. it went something like Grasshopper & Rhino for form and organisation, Rhino to Max for rendering, and Rhino to CNC machines.

For this type of form, the simplest joinery is usually the winner.

Good luck getting this built :P

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:41 pm

I now wonder what it could be..

Sort of a pavillion maybe?

triplej28

Post by triplej28 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:54 pm

ahh.. the love between architects and pavilions :P

Kind of like this one..
Attachments
AA_Swoosh Pavilion.jpg

Jeff Hammond
Indigo 100

Post by Jeff Hammond » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 am

triplej28 wrote:Nice little architecture intervention there.. It's interesting how you went from Rhino to Sketchup to Indigo ( I guess everyone's workflow is different.

I experimented pieces like that before.. it went something like Grasshopper & Rhino for form and organisation, Rhino to Max for rendering, and Rhino to CNC machines.

For this type of form, the simplest joinery is usually the winner.

Good luck getting this built :P
ha.. thanks.. i probably could use a little luck.. i'm good at designing/building.. bad at businessman_ing / sales pitching.. i guess i just have to act confident on the latter and i'll be ok ;)

i have to throw sketchup into the mix because i use rhino on mac.. we don't really have any render solutions yet so going into sketchup for skindigo is the path i'm using right now..

Pibuz wrote:I now wonder what it could be..

Sort of a pavillion maybe?
yeah, i guess it could be called a pavilion but i just call it a sculpture..

i design & build skateboard ramps by trade.. the math of this thing is based off the physics of skating.. (as in, if you took the top half off of this then layered it, it would for the most part be super fun to ride..)

so it's basically just a form being driven by skateboarding with nearly 0 emphasis on the functionality side (that said, i have some other ideas that are form driven yet still functional as a ramp)..

just a play between skating and form / lines.. maybe the lines/play/composition are more apparent with these views (via sketchup 2D export)
?
WL_leftview.jpg
WL_frontview.jpg
WL_rightview.jpg

11 posts • Page 1 of 1