Acreage - day and dusk

Show off your final renders
Jeff Hammond
Indigo 100

Re: Acreage - day and dusk

Post by Jeff Hammond » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Stinkie wrote:You need camera.rb, Jeffrey. :)
hey!
thanks.. is that the past version of today's 'advanced camera tools'?

if so, i have suPro so i do have the camera tools.. but i never use them :oops:
i'll go mess around with them now :lol:

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Jeff Hammond wrote:i'll go mess around with them now :lol:
That oughta help. :mrgreen:

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Just to add to this, if you don't want a perfectly manicured lawn (for example if you're rendering something slightly more industrial) then using the summer grass texture from, the materials database along with the fur plugin is an excellent option.
Grass test.jpg
However, I have a question - I create my main grass component called 'GRASS'. If I create fur using this component, then poly count is around 40,000. Obviously scene is too heavy and very slow to rotate etc. So I create a single line, make it a component called 'GRASS_dummy' and scatter the dummy component around with the fur plugin. However, poly count remains at 40,000 and the model becomes too heavy to rotate again, even though the scene is displaying just the single line component? Is that correct? Or am I going wrong somewhere, as I don't understand how single lines can have the same poly count as the original component.

I get round it at the moment by simply putting the fur grass on a different layer which is only switched on to render a view, but it bothers me :)
Last edited by Bosseye on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:24 am

For me, I can quite easily orbit a SketchUp scene with many thousands of single line dummy grass components. Probably at some point, it becomes unmanageable but I haven't run into that yet. This is with a GTX 460M.

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:02 am

I would expect to be able to rotate with no real issues considering I'm running an Intel Xeon W3530, 24Gb RAM and an Nvidia Quadro 4000 2Gb on 64 bit windows, but maybe I'm being unrealistic, I'm not sure. With about 40,000 single line dummy components I can still orbit, but its not smooth. But mainly I don't understand why the amount of polys processing during the 'make fur' operation is the same whether I use dummies or originals?

Doesn't really matter as I turn off the layer, but curious I is!

Oh and by the way, your house renders are looking superb these days :D

20 posts