Sketchup/Indigo light mesh/material behavior guide

Come here for help & support.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Yiqin

Sketchup/Indigo light mesh/material behavior guide

Post by Yiqin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:43 am

Was looking for light setup and behavior to help me with accurate light planning and couldn't find what I wanted in the manual nor in this help forum so I'm posting this as a supplemental guide for setting up lights including IES. Doesn't cover everything. The info below may be specific to indigo emissive material/mesh light behavior in sketchup I don't have time to check it all in 3ds max.

Indigo version 4.4.18/skindigo 4.6.01

Emission Scale/light output:

-For single mesh lights that are made of a component or group the emissive Material will treat Emission scale value (lumens/lux/candles) as a per light value
(example: each component or group that uses the same emissive material will have the same emission scale/output)

-If the emissive material is applied to multiple unconnected surfaces (all of which are in or outside of a group/component) The emission scale/light output is divided between each unconnected surface or another way of putting it is connected or not the emissive scale is evenly distributed across the mesh.
(example three unconnected quads in the same group will each get 1/3 of emissive scale/light output)

-In the case of an emissive material with an IES that is on multiple unconnected surfaces (in the same group/component) it appears that each individual surface exhibits the same IES profile only with the emissive scale/light output divided among them.

Light Mesh:

-A light mesh can be more than a simple triangle (can be ngon/subdivided/circle/multiple quads and doesn't matter if mesh is smoothed or not) without changing the IES or emission scale BUT for best results an IES light mesh should the same approximate size as the lens/light emitting surface of the fixture the IES represents and be planar. Light will be evenly emitted from the mesh and an over sized mesh will distort the IES light distribution.

-A non-planar/3d mesh will change an IES's light distribution as well and there won't be any warning from indigo.

Please feel free to add, correct, or expand the above

1 post • Page 1 of 1