Page 1 of 1
Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:53 am
by Polinalkrimizei
Right now I own a GTX 560Ti and wasn't able to test V4 with GPU unfortunately. Price-performance-wise I thought about AMD (RX 480), but open cl performance seemed a bit disappointing in the forums... GTX 1070 is also interesting, but I'm a bit alienated by the mem allocation failure that CoolColJ reported with the bedroom scene

Do you have a good tip of which card to buy? Not for gaming, only for rendering, mainly complex interieurs (=> RAM?), in the price range of < 350€ ideally. Does the GTX 1060 6GB render all the test scenes?
THANKS for some hints!!
Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:59 am
by Oscar J
Polinalkrimizei wrote:Right now I own a GTX 560Ti and wasn't able to test V4 with GPU unfortunately. Price-performance-wise I thought about AMD (RX 480), but open cl performance seemed a bit disappointing in the forums... GTX 1070 is also interesting, but I'm a bit alienated by the mem allocation failure that CoolColJ reported with the bedroom scene

Do you have a good tip of which card to buy? Not for gaming, only for rendering, mainly complex interieurs (=> RAM?), in the price range of < 350€ ideally. Does the GTX 1060 6GB render all the test scenes?
THANKS for some hints!!
Lycium/Thomas has a 1070 and it's amazingly quick. CoolColJ might have had some sort of bug, because lycium renders the bedroom scene just fine. 1060 should be great as well, in general the new Pascal generation appears to be the best choice for Indigo right now. The 480's performance is OK but not great, but I think they'll be looking at optimising for that a bit.
Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:38 am
by contegufo
Two Radeon RX480?
AMD Crossfire™
Harness the power of multiple GPUs.
AMD CrossFire™ technology is the ultimate multi-GPU performance gaming platform. Unlocking game-dominating power, AMD CrossFire™ harnesses the power of two or more discrete graphics cards working in parallel to dramatically improve gaming performance.1 AMD CrossFire™ technology ready graphics cards fit practically every budget. With the flexibility to combine two, three or four GPUs, AMD CrossFire™ technology is the perfect solution for those who demand extreme performance.
Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:19 pm
by Polinalkrimizei
Thanks!
2x RX480 is really something to consider, a whooping >10 teraflops AND if I buy one now I can still "upgrade" with another one later.
So it is really just RX 480 vs GTX 1060 for me I think.
Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:06 pm
by Zom-B
Sounds like you just copy and pasted some press text here contegufo.
Indigo doesn't use crossfire or SLI at all, every GPU gets communicated to individually...
We still have to numbers about how well the 480 perform, there just has been some massive memory leak fixed in the last build of Indigo lets hope to get some numbers soon
For me it will be waiting out until Vega, since it finally aims to be some high end AMD GPU.
Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:53 pm
by contegufo
Vega=mid 2017
Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:17 pm
by Zom-B
Vega=first half of 2017
Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:54 pm
by lycium
Get a GTX 1070, or two if you can afford it

Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:33 pm
by vasco
On my two GTX 1070 the testscenes are running fine, and one 1070 is as fast as a 1080 ,which I had before, in Indigo. So go for a 1070, the 1060 might also be fine but has only 6GB vram. In this price range I think I would prefer a RX 480.
Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:34 pm
by Oscar J
Performance wise: 1060. If you're wary of mem limits, go with the 480.

Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:14 am
by Polinalkrimizei
Thanks, that helps a lot!
I think I'll go for the 480, perhaps the nvidia 1060 is the better choice, but if I one day (if ever!) hit its mem max, I'll be angry and regret the decision

Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:27 pm
by Eneen
It seems 1070 is almost 2x faster then 480 in Indigo, but I'm not sure, anyone can confirm?
I'll probably go for 1060 as I can always render heavy scenes on CPU.
Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:28 pm
by Zom-B
Eneen wrote:It seems 1070 is almost 2x faster then 480 in Indigo, but I'm not sure, anyone can confirm?
I'll probably go for 1060 as I can always render heavy scenes on CPU.
The Devs just said that there will be a benchmark tool out very soon:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=14133
I would suggest to wait a little until its out and you'll get some nice database with benchmark results

Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:10 am
by lycium
Some perf results in the mean time:
GTX 1070 + overclock:
Bedroom: 3.884
Supercar: 12.885
RX 480 @ stock clocks:
Bedroom: 1.928
Supercar: 6.261
So yeah, pretty much exactly 2x faster if you overclock the 1070 a bit.
Re: Which GPU to buy?
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:15 am
by Originalplan®
Well...if you have that kind of $ laying around and just collecting dust and smells funny too.
Then go with this one :
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graph ... ro-3d/9100
