Indoor lights with sun enabled (newbie)

Come here for help & support.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
lapinobel

Indoor lights with sun enabled (newbie)

Post by lapinobel » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm just trying out Indigo RT for the first time. I want to render a scene where I created a poolhouse in Sketchup. There's a large part with windows in this poolhouse and I want to render an outdoor view. Problem is, the indoor part needs to be lit up a bit too since otherwise the interior renders too dark.

I created two round faces in the ceiling and put a material on it that has a light emitter attribute. Problem is, when I enable the sun, the indoor lights seem to be disabled. Otherwise the render looks fine. When I turn off the sun and put the background to black (essentially enabling nighttime), the lights render fine indoor but then the outdoor is completely invisible.

Any way to have a render from an outdoor view with sun enable, while being able to have some lights indoors shining through/lighting the interiors?

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Indoor lights with sun enabled (newbie)

Post by Oscar J » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:54 pm

Yes of course, you just need to crank the lights up a lot.

First of all enable Camera tonemapping instead of Reinhard. Without Reinhards autoexposure, you will be able to see the difference in brightness between your artificial lights and the sun.

Then it's just a matter of choosing a high enough emission value for your light sources to be visible next to the sun light.

lapinobel

Post by lapinobel » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:56 am

Yeah I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work. Even when I set the light power to like 20.000 (candela) it's not showing up.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:11 am

Did you try assigning the lights to their own light layers and playing around with it?

lapinobel

Post by lapinobel » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:59 am

I'm trying out Indigo RT which seems to have no different light layers. Mind this is pure personal use, so I cannot buy the more expensive version.

You can find the sketchup file here :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iuffi854oevdx ... s.zip?dl=0

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:12 am

Please attach the indigo scene file in .pigs format and it'll be easier to have a look at it. :)

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:25 am

That is in .igs format which means that all geometry, textures are missing. .pigs format is the one to use when sharing scenes.

lapinobel

Post by lapinobel » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:38 am

sorry, hope this is right :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pueuy7ndxxgp ... .pigs?dl=0

I managed to fix it (a bit), but increasing the light emitter immensely. not sure this is the way to do it. fun learning all this :)

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:25 am

lapinobel wrote:sorry, hope this is right :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pueuy7ndxxgp ... .pigs?dl=0

I managed to fix it (a bit), but increasing the light emitter immensely. not sure this is the way to do it. fun learning all this :)
In indigo try going to:"background settings" and turn it off, you will realize that it has somehow the correct amount of light, but if you don't think it has go and search for "object" in "filter", scroll until you find the <Beige>3 material, and tweak the light intensity. For me if you set it too high it will feel fake, what you can do instead is tweak the sun position, set it lower, mess with its position.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1