Indigo HDRI problems

Come here for help & support.
Jerome_Toloko123

Indigo HDRI problems

Post by Jerome_Toloko123 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:49 am

Hey there,

I am currently experimenting with Indigo, as I think it might be quite a powerful render engine.
Unfortunately, I still dont have all the skills required to use it correctly, and am running into some problems I cant fix.

I have a little scene (Dont judge me, I am still a beginner) made with Cinema 4D and an image of a night sky set up as an Hdri: http://prntscr.com/a0d413

But, the results turned out quite...interesting.
I have attached 2 Screenshots as of what is happening and I have absolutely no idea why.

http://prntscr.com/a0clf5

http://prntscr.com/a0d1ax

If you could help me out, that would be awesome :)

Cheers, Jerome

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Indigo HDRI problems

Post by Oscar J » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:07 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Could you explain what exactly you think is the problem? :)

Jerome_Toloko123

Post by Jerome_Toloko123 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:16 pm

Oscar J wrote:Hello and welcome to the forums!

Could you explain what exactly you think is the problem? :)
Well, In the first Screenshot you can see that half the scene is quite black, while the other half is really bright.

The second Screenshot shows that the HDRI is suddenly and for no apparent reason completely overbrighted.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:20 pm

It seems you are using the JPG, not an HDRI at all!
The linked file is a low dynamic 8bit JPG with a crapton of compression artefacts that you also see in the rendering, nicely marked with your red arrow.

HDRIs are saved in 32bit depth as EXR or HDR files.

The reason for you strange brightens of the scene could also be material based, hard to tell, but first try using a real HDRI for lighting.
polygonmanufaktur.de

Jerome_Toloko123

Post by Jerome_Toloko123 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:27 pm

Zom-B wrote:It seems you are using the JPG, not an HDRI at all!
The linked file is a low dynamic 8bit JPG with a crapton of compression artefacts that you also see in the rendering, nicely marked with your red arrow.

HDRIs are saved in 32bit depth as EXR or HDR files.

The reason for you strange brightens of the scene could also be material based, hard to tell, but first try using a real HDRI for lighting.
Thats what I wanted to do, But do you know how difficult it is to actually find a night sky HDRI in the Internet? Try it out! ;)

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Jerome_Toloko123 wrote:Thats what I wanted to do, But do you know how difficult it is to actually find a night sky HDRI in the Internet? Try it out! ;)
Yes, I do know that it isn't that easy to get free night-time HDRIs, but by using such a JPG you never will get the effect you aim for.
polygonmanufaktur.de

Jerome_Toloko123

Post by Jerome_Toloko123 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:33 pm

Zom-B wrote:
Jerome_Toloko123 wrote:Thats what I wanted to do, But do you know how difficult it is to actually find a night sky HDRI in the Internet? Try it out! ;)
Yes, I do know that it isn't that easy to get free night-time HDRIs, but by using such a JPG you never will get the effect you aim for.
Okay so I used a proper HDRI this time, made it to an Indigo Material (put the HDRI in both Color and Emission) and then used that Mat as a Sky and a Background Material (Maybe Im doing something wrong here, who knows)

Results were similar: http://prntscr.com/a0hbjz

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:41 pm

The HDRI only needs to be set in the emitter tab.
Set the light Type to uniform and raise it up to 10.000.000.

Not every HDRI is awesome just being an HDRI, there are is lot of bad HDRIs out there too :)

Your bluish tint can have many reasons.
But instead of wasting our both time by playing the guessing game,
simply upload a reduced c4d scene here, so I can take a deeper look into that behaviour :)

Maybe leave a cube inside the scene with that strange bright coloured material from the initial post...
polygonmanufaktur.de

Jerome_Toloko123

Post by Jerome_Toloko123 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:12 pm

Zom-B wrote:The HDRI only needs to be set in the emitter tab.
Set the light Type to uniform and raise it up to 10.000.000.

Not every HDRI is awesome just being an HDRI, there are is lot of bad HDRIs out there too :)

Your bluish tint can have many reasons.
But instead of wasting our both time by playing the guessing game,
simply upload a reduced c4d scene here, so I can take a deeper look into that behaviour :)

Maybe leave a cube inside the scene with that strange bright coloured material from the initial post...
okay so the strange HDRI thingy got kinda sorted out, I think it was because I had the Color channel turned on with the HDRI :)
Welp, but there are still problems with the camera (I think), as when there is no Mesh Light in the scene and the camera does not directly look at the HDRI, it becomes super bright, but when it looks at it, it turns to a normal brightness. (Might be because automatic light adaptation?)

And also there is still this strange Shadowy thingy on the scene:

http://prntscr.com/a0hn95

http://prntscr.com/a0hp08

Might be able to try to adapt this scene to be able to send it, as nearly all my textures aren't in the "tex" folder of the document.
Really appreciate your help up to this point, keep it up ;)

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:23 pm

You again used a JPG as a environmental map to light the scene :roll:
Here a example of how to setup HDRI light in C4D for Indigo:
setup.png
HDRIs need to use a gamma of 1.0 that can be raised slightly for more contrast and harder shadows to lets say 1.2.
polygonmanufaktur.de

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:53 pm

Also try to lower the EV adjust, those strange colors of the first render sometimes appear when the scene is set waaayyy to bright.

And please provide us with more renders, seems like a very cool scene :)

Jerome_Toloko123

Post by Jerome_Toloko123 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:02 pm

Zom-B wrote:You again used a JPG as a environmental map to light the scene :roll:
Here a example of how to setup HDRI light in C4D for Indigo:
setup.png
HDRIs need to use a gamma of 1.0 that can be raised slightly for more contrast and harder shadows to lets say 1.2.
Okay so no Filters or anything, just the pure .hdr. I had the hdr with a filter because it appeared too bright, now I got only the .hdr in it and it looks fine :)
So one problem out of the way, Dark scene thingy is still happening: http://prntscr.com/a0i5uy

(Well, that escalated quickly: http://prntscr.com/a0i6zg )

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:22 pm

The dark scene thingy happens because you are using Reinhard tonemapping, which adapts itself to the brightness in your viewport. Trouble is in your case, that you are looking directly into the very bright light source, making the the rest of the image underexposed. Try using Camera or Linear tonemapping instead and play around with the settings.

The second screenshot looks very odd, there's certainly something weird going on there. Again, probably easiest to troubleshoot if you provided the scene. (.pigs).

Jerome_Toloko123

Post by Jerome_Toloko123 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:41 am

Oscar J wrote:The dark scene thingy happens because you are using Reinhard tonemapping, which adapts itself to the brightness in your viewport. Trouble is in your case, that you are looking directly into the very bright light source, making the the rest of the image underexposed. Try using Camera or Linear tonemapping instead and play around with the settings.

The second screenshot looks very odd, there's certainly something weird going on there. Again, probably easiest to troubleshoot if you provided the scene. (.pigs).
Dont know why, but the issues are gone: http://prntscr.com/a0jj9w
Used Camera mapping and toned down the EV adjust to -4, got the results I wanted :)
But, actually there is a little cylinder in the lantern that should glow, which it doesnt: http://prntscr.com/a0jz1f

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:55 am

Glad it's working for you. Regarding the lanterns, you might have to crank up the brightness quite a lot more than you'd think to make them visible. You could also try assigning them to a light layer (one of the best things with Indigo) and play around with the brightness and colour until it looks right.

31 posts