Help with network rendering

Come here for help & support.
Headroom
Indigo 100

Re: Help with network rendering

Post by Headroom » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:49 am

I've not had a chance to work much on this since my last post.
This is still not working , so I have two perfectly working Win 10 PCs and two activated node licenses but cant use them :/

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi guys,
First step is to run the network manager on some computer, you probably want to run it on your 'main' computer.
You need to know the host name of that computer.
Now on the slave computers, go to options, in the network tab, enter the hostname of the main computer and enable 'use network manager'. Leave the other boxes unchecked.
Now start a network slave on each slave computer with Tools > 'Start Network Slave' from Indigo.
Hopefully the slaves show show up on the slave list on the network manager.

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:27 am

Try to test what happens if one of Windows is master, will it work than.

I have same problem, where my laptop with Win10 is not picked up as slave. Just keeps waiting for master ... I tried using OSX and Win (from MacPro) as master and it does not work. Firewall turned off, antivirus also . Can see that machines, share files etc. Have also Ubuntu machines that works perfectly. Also worth mention is that laptop is connected to network with WiFi others are LAN cables.

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:51 pm

This is soooo odd.

Cheers, zeiti
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:10 pm

Can't reproduce this here - I have a working Win 10 Laptop slave, and it works both via WiFi or cable. Master works with Win 7 and now also with Win 10.
btw it kinda sucks via WiFi, uploading when rendering with a big resolution can literally take forever!
Last edited by Polinalkrimizei on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:32 pm

Polinalkrimizei wrote:Can't reproduce this here - I have a working Win 10 Laptop slave, and it works both via WiFi or cable. Master works with Win 7 and now also with Win 10.
btw it kinda sucks via WiFi, uploading when rendering with a big resolution van literally take forever!
The problem seems to be the Mac Master.
Perhaps.

Cheers, zeiti
Cheers, David

·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:16 am

@Zeiti
That appears to be correct.

I was confident I had tried this before, anyway, I can now see the slaves in the network manager.
However, the master does not show up.

I tried to see if I can make the mac also show up as a slave but it does not seem to be able to connect to itself.

Code: Select all

Executing '-n s'
Indigo Renderer v3.8.30, OS X 64-bit build.
Licence verified.  
Licence type: Indigo Full Lifetime.  
Licensed to 'xxx@xxx.xxx<Peter Doering>'
Waiting for a master.
While connecting to network manager: Could not make a TCP connection to server 'iMac.local' ([fe80::da30:62ff:fe58:7f3d]:7200), Error code: Host is unreachable.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:11 am

More info.
It seems that the slaves cannot connect to the network manager when I use the host name, iMac.local. When I use the IP address of the host - 10.0.1.4 - in the network tab in the indigo options on the slaves then they can connect.

This also works when instead of using it as a master start the network slave on the iMac. Then I have three slaves, but still no master.

contegufo

Post by contegufo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:24 pm

Hi

This software could be used: IP Scanner
di 10base-t Interactive

https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/ip-scan ... mpt=uo%3D8

IP Scanner for Macintosh scans your local area network to determine the identity of all machines and internet devices on the LAN. Powerful results, yet easy and intuitive to use.

IP Scanner is all about customizing the way you view your network. You may apply custom names and icons to the devices on your network and adjust the type and amount of information you see in the network overview; don't need to see the MAC address column...don't display it! Text too small...make it larger!

IP Scanner can be used in several primary modes: as a way to get a quick overview of which devices are currently on the network, including seeing which devices are actively and passively present, or view network changes over time with IP Scanner's 'cumulative mode', including options to display devices which were once present but now no longer visible.

Finally, by using the whitelist feature you may filter out known and trusted devices to reveal new or unexpected ones, a great way to easily identify unwanted network visitors.

Other notable features:

•Sort network list by device name, IP address, MAC address or Last Seen
•Growl support for notifications of newly discovered devices and changes in device state
•Right-click a device to obtain additional contextualized tool options, including Ping and Port Scan tools
•Local network segments are scanned automatically; custom ranges may be added manually

IP Scanner is free to use on small networks (up to 6 devices). To see the results from networks of more than 6 devices, please consider the Home or Pro versions of IP Scanner.

Visit http://10base-t.com for more details.

For scanning on-the-go, consider IP Scanner mobile: http://itunes.apple.com/app/ip-network- ... 17657?mt=8
Mac Mini 2011 - 2,3 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 Mb.
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB - MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

https://www.behance.net/Paolo_Conti

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:50 pm

Thanks for that advertisement but I don't think the is going to accomplish much.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi Headroom,
Give me an email and we can jump on Skype or similar and try and figure out what's going on here.
nick at indigorenderer.com

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:49 am

Just a quick update that I finally got this working.
While preparing for a Skype meeting with Ono I tried one more thing I was sure I had tried before and things started working.

The host name of the master computer is "iMac.local" and that is also what is shown as the host name in the Network manager. However, to connect the slaves (on the Windows machines) only using "IMAC" as the host name or the actual IP address of the master (10.0.1.4 in this case) led to a successful connection between the slave and the network manager.

That left me with the task of connecting the master to the Network Manager. I was not able to use the host name. Only using the IP address I was able to connect the master to the Network Manager and then the slaves were involved in rendering.

I would still be interested to know how to get this to work without the network manager.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:14 am

The problem here, I think, is that DNS resolution won't work for Mac computers on a Windows network, like it does for Windows computers. Therefore you need to know the IP address of your Mac and enter it as the address of the network master. (This is not Indigo's fault btw, it's just how Mac and Windows computers interact on a network)

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Interesting!
So is there a way to get rendering to work without the help of the network manager ?
It's not high priority, I am simply curious whether or not this is possible.

I apologize if my posts indicated that Indigo is at fault. That was certainly not my intention!

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Help with network rendering

Post by zeitmeister » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:46 pm

I never used the network manager, to be honest.
Just activated the clients, activated network rendering on the master and there I go.

I really like indigo network rendering a lot; it is sooo simple and that robust... rock-solid.

Cheers, zeiti
Cheers, David

·

45 posts