Sun Sky Settings Help

Come here for help & support.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
trutextures

Sun Sky Settings Help

Post by trutextures » Mon May 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Hello :)

I have been using IR (basic) for some time and using the lights set up in the default test scene but I am trying to aim for a more dramatic light effect.

I am trying to create a very simple material display scene using a test ball.

Someone kindly created a test scene with a test ball here in the forums and I can select some of the set up lights which are named "Instances - Objects" in the scene panel.

What I am trying to achieve is by most knowledgable users, a "walk in the park" I am sure.

All I want is one side of the test ball to be dark or shaded in a way that the surface texture of the material can be seen at its best and the other side to be bathed in natural light.
In the Scene panel the lights show as Instances - Object and I cannot seem to do anything other than adjust the strength and type of light.

Anyway, I am under the assumption I have no control over the any of the pre set lights direction other than in Sun+Sky ?

I have tried to play around with the Azimuth and Zenith but can't quite achieve enough light or I get a sharp bright line across the scene and the rest of the scene is very dark.
Or the change is so vague I cannot tell the difference.

Also in Sun+Sky I assume I need to change any of the lights measure to "None" in the test scene I have already when using Sun+Sky?

What I want is essentially this kind of lighting effect :
http://gyazo.com/1943b9b127172220d54dc9b29c4c584d

The manual goes into Turbidity but does not touch on the settings of Azimuth or Zenith other than to say the suns direction can be changed.

I appreciate any feedback :)
Last edited by trutextures on Wed May 13, 2015 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesquirell

Re: Sun Sky Settings Help

Post by thesquirell » Wed May 13, 2015 1:35 am

I'm not quite sure what are you trying to achieve, but it seems to me that your test scene is in a box of some sort, so, when you move your camera to the right, for instance, you will find a wall with a R texture on it. Select it as an object and check invisible to camera, and change the background setting to sun+sky (I prefer captured simulation). Now, in your light setting you can change the gain of the lights, and their colours, where the first light from the top is you sun+sky, and the bottom one is your left panel. This is what I managed to do, but I am not certain if that's what you're after.
Attachments
test_scene.jpg

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Wed May 13, 2015 5:48 am

trutextures wrote: ...
The manual goes into Turbidity but does not touch on the settings of Azimuth or Zenith other than to say the suns direction can be changed.
As Indigo uses physically correct atmospheric simulation, I would assume something like this would apply:

Is this somehow close to what you would like to achieve?
sun.jpg

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu May 14, 2015 7:00 pm

It sounds like to me that you did not fiddle with the different tonemapping variants, could it be ?

Anyhow, the example you posted should come straight out of the box so it is hard to figure out why you could not achieve it.

perhaps share the scene (pigs) that you have got so people can figure your issue out. An image at least would help. I for one am very unsure at what might be happening for you...
obsolete asset

4 posts • Page 1 of 1