Procedural Terrain Render?

Come here for help & support.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
riley1389

Procedural Terrain Render?

Post by riley1389 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:32 am

I know there's been a lot of talk about the upcoming cloud rendering, which I'm definitely excited for! But I haven't heard anything about the procedural terrain rendering, and I could really make use of that. If anybody could point me in the right direction or give some kind of shader, tutorial or whatever, that would be amazing!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

OnoSendai
Developer

Re: Procedural Terrain Render?

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:31 am

The basic idea is to get a quad, subdivide it, then use a displacement shader to displace the vertices upwards.

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:16 am

hey Ono,
what ever happened to the optimized subdivision plane experiment you had in the works?
wasn't that going to be a non-mesh option for these kinds of purposes - terrain and such?

Dineshsameera

Post by Dineshsameera » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:57 am

Some good examples are "Real-Time Dynamic Level of Detail Terrain Rendering with ROAM" and "Continuous LOD Terrain Meshing Using Adaptive Quadtrees". However, all the articles I've read so far have drawn flat landscapes based mainly on a pre-built 2D height map. Using a little creative thinking, I managed to come up with a spherical version that dynamically generates height values as needed.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:10 pm

FakeShamus wrote:hey Ono,
what ever happened to the optimized subdivision plane experiment you had in the works?
wasn't that going to be a non-mesh option for these kinds of purposes - terrain and such?
I tested it about one year ago and found it less efficient for the purpose, memory-wise at least. More than dedicated for terrains, it is made so to be shaped by a shader, in more than one way as illustrated below. Onto used that object to figure sea shells once, can do grass strands BTW... but hardly clouds ?

edit: sorry, no image coz idk how to convert the PNG to jpg on android without updating sh...
edit 2: nevermind me mentionning clouds.
obsolete asset

5 posts • Page 1 of 1