quality problem

Come here for help & support.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
franky

quality problem

Post by franky » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:49 pm

Hello,

I have a question, I'm working on a project but I'm not satisfied with the quality of my render.
Probably I'm doing something wrong, but I can't find out what.
I posted my render, and her is some more info:
render time: 162h,9m
sample per pixel: 38806,07
147k sample/s

Render mode: Bidirectional path tracing
Glass Accel.: on

Tone mapping : Reinhard
Size: 2200x1010
resolution: 2.22 MP
Supersampling factor: 3
MNCR: 10
(maybe a little bit overkill of information) :P
Im using Indigo Renderer v3.2.14 windows 64-bit build.
For what it's worth, Indigo is the only active program on that PC for those 162 hours.

As you can see on my posted render, there are a lot of dots, first I thought: in time it will go away, but 162 hours later it's still there.

I hope some of you can help me,

thanks in advance

Frank
Attachments
8 pers. in plattegrond.jpg
The problem

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: quality problem

Post by Zom-B » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Hey Franky,

first of all use the latest Indigo 3.4 since it should be faster!

I would suggest that your Noisy image is mostly because of some low power lightsources inside the house!
Using Reinhard Tonemapping is quite hard to see that problem, but with Linear tonemapping for example you should notice that these lightsources nearly don't add any light to your scene.

Since these Lightsources are so weak and not much contributing to th eoverall image, Indigo give s just very little CPU power to these, so they are noisy if bumped in brightness by Reinhard tonemapping.

in short some advise:

1) don't use Reinhard tonemapping in development of your scene, so you see such problems very early!
2) use LightLayers for each light source during scene development to see if certain layers are very noisy or maybe even don't add anything to the scene.
3) Keep your "white colors" at RGB 204 MAXIMUM (!) otherwise these full white materials bounce light same as a mirror and cause noise also reducing renderspeed (your chairs for example look like that!)

I hope that helped for the start :)

Btw: how much of the area behind the balcony is 3D and how much is just a image?
polygonmanufaktur.de

franky

Post by franky » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:41 am

He Zom-B,

Tanks for the info, I changed to linear and set the lights off.

but still there are dots everywhere, the color of the chairs is RGB 255. If i set this to 204 I get a grey color. But the color of the kitchen (behind the camera) is white with PHONG (in the assign preset I picked 'car paint') maybe that's the problem.

I also set the sun on a other light-layer, if i make the sun disappearance, than there are way less dots, but there are still some. I think this could mean that the kitchen is the problem!??

The tree line is a picture, the rest is 3D, I think that I know what you wanna say with that, on the left and right side are lots of the same houses, but those are dummy's, is that a big problem?? also has every house a dummy tree.

I added the render with lights out en linear, and the quick (7hour) render of the kitchen so you can see how big/small this is.

thanks in advance

Frank
Attachments
8 pers. keuken 7uur.jpg
test render of the kitchen
render linear light off.jpg
set to linear with the lights off

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:47 am

Hey franky,

setting a color to 204 isn't to set it up beeing gray at all. Problem about that RGB system is that in nature barly anything crosses the ~200 line, so everything above it is simply unrealistically ehite (and therefor reflective!)

You need to use that rule for every color in you scene (and should for 3D in general!).
So even your 255 red lamp over the table should have a max value of 204 in the red chanel etc.
Also textures you use can cross that limit, so you need to edit them and darken them...
Also a Phong material etc. needs to be set down to max 204!
So you need to fix that for walls, shelves, pillows, bowls, dishes, kitchen area etc. ....

having all scene edited by that way you can finally raise the tonemapping so its white on your screen again :)
But it should render way faster now with less Fireflies!

Having some extra geometry outside that isn't visible should indeed slower your rendering, not that much, but its always better to disable everything that isn't needed, since Indigo also calculates light outside you camera view...

Since the main noise seems to come from the sun, the problem lies here. Your whole interior is lit by "caustics" that are generated from the sun goint through the glass windows. A quick workaround would be to open some windows and let soime air in... well... actually some direct sunlight :P

Overall rendering MLT+BiDir should be more efficient here, but not that fast in general.
Don't forget to update Indigo to the latest stable build for some speed up and less noise too ;)

Last Little geek hint for a minimal speedup would be to set the roof texture to pure black diffuse,
by that Indigo doesn't need to calculate the bounce (pure black = direct kill of the ray) that would go out to space anyway!
(same for outer walls aren't in the back area that is visible in the image)
polygonmanufaktur.de

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:34 am

In this scene, bidirectionnal is efficient for the light sources inside, but quite inefficient for the day lighting, as the modelled outdoor scene is very large. Switching to path tracing+MLT may be more efficient(keeping glass acceleration on if the windows are closed by glass, but not if the windows are not closed), but in that case the inner lights will be in turn more noisy. In last resort, Bidirectionnal+MLT could also solve all but is slower in general.

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

franky

Post by franky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:06 pm

First of all, thanks Zom-B and galinette for your advice.

But i still don't get it, (sorry) were do i change the color from above RGB 204. Is that in the sketchup color pallet or shut I do that somewhere in the indigo material editor?

If i shut change the color in the sketchup color pallet, how can i make shore that all the colors are the same, shut i put all the colors the same amount back??

Thanks in advance

Frank

6 posts • Page 1 of 1