New camera sim

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
IanC

New camera sim

Post by IanC » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:18 pm

It's back, hehe!

Simple sim again, single lens, but shaped better this time.

Amazingly, I'm getting >20k muts a sec rendering old Suzanne:
This is just 5 minutes on an amd64 3000 (14 muts/pixel) [CLICK FOR LARGE]

I've got a nasty, nasty scene for tomorrow. It's a little glass I drink whisky from, with an exr map, and I'm going to put dispersion on the lens.

Heres a render with a normal camera of the whisky one:
[CLICK FOR LARGE]

IanC

Post by IanC » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:32 pm

Sorry for double post, edit isn't working for me.

Amazingly, indigo is powering past 20k muts a sec on the whisky glass scene. 1 minute in and although brightly coloured, I can see the glass, liquid and the bloom from the highlights.

If anyone wants to render a scene like this with some serious machinery, I can send my files.

atmmatt

Post by atmmatt » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:38 pm

How did you make the lens? I've tried many things and gotten interesting results but nothing that seems to be like it is in real life (blender doesn't seem to make it easy for accurate smooth curve profiles).
"To be, or not to be" That is a question?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:40 pm

How did you make the lens?
And simply put, what's the difference between your camera and Indigo's default camera :?:

IanC

Post by IanC » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:12 am

I wrote a python script to make the profile, it's a simple parabolic shape. Then I just used 'spin' to create the full lens.
nd simply put, what's the difference between your camera and Indigo's default camera
Err, I can simulate chromatic abberation, with enough lenses in it I'll get lens flares forming naturally. Basically because it's a camera rendered in indigo with a normal camera capturing what forms on the screen, I get all of indigo's algos simulating a real camera, not using an approximation (as I understand a thin lens one is, correct me if I'm wrong).

The pic is clearing up quickly. I'm off out so I can start it properly now, I'll post late on this evening.

Ian

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:32 am

Ok, got it. Btw do you let the Indigo Cam with ordinary lens settings or you set it's rays to be (almost) parallel, so they are curved by your rig ? I mean, could one say that you reduce the Indigo cam just to be a film emulator ?

I hope you will share the xml for the lenses :D but you don't have to if you want to put more work on it :P

IanC

Post by IanC » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:33 am

I just use the indigo cam as normal. It's pointing at the screen in my camera, so I didn't want anything like dof set on.

Basically it takes a picture of the film. So it's kinda one step behind a film emulator (and slower!!)

I'm just trying to focus the bugger now! A change of 0.02 in the IOR of the lens has a big change. I'm going to remodel the lens to focus at infinity, which I should have done from the beginning. That way I can place it in any scene, at the moment it's focusing on a tiny tiny object very very close to it.

It's going to be a bit blurred, I think this is the best I'm going to get for now.

A test pic (before more focusing):
EDIT - this is a 1 hr rendering, no post-pro.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:53 am

Cool stuff Ian, looking forward to more results.

ryjo

Post by ryjo » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:04 am

IanC wrote:I wrote a python script to make the profile, it's a simple parabolic shape. Then I just used 'spin' to create the full lens.
Aren't camera lenses spherical?

/ryjo

IanC

Post by IanC » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:57 pm

A lens must follow a quadratic equation (in 2 dimensions). A sphere does, but I wanted to write a script to control where the focal point was. I need to look at the equations again because I got bored and went with trial and error instead.

I'm not focused right, which is annoying, but it rendered quite nicely. 1,800 mutations per pixel, 9 hours at 26k muts a second.

Tadaa

Ono, cheers, will be experimenting a lot more with this. I want to have multiple lenses but I need to look into how real cameras are made.

ian

ryjo

Post by ryjo » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:09 pm

Ian, that looks really good!

There is an informative article at wikipedia about lens crafting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_%28optics%29

Good luck with your experimenting.

/ryjo

IanC

Post by IanC » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:49 am

Thanks for the link, I want to create the cooke triplet at some point (well, I've modeled it, but want it to focus properly).

I'm just trying to focus a new thin lens. I'm tweaking the IOR (cheating, I know :p )

It looks like it's quite an improvement. The newer versions of indigo are far, far faster than the first ones I tried, at about 0.4.

My main problem is trying to figure out whats bloom and whats unfocused, also whats a bad shape for the lens!

More updates to come.

12 posts • Page 1 of 1