Just testing out the software

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
forgeflow

Just testing out the software

Post by forgeflow » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:59 am

Just did a quick test of refraction, material priority, etc. Have to say, I am pretty pleased with the results. What I like about Indigo is the straight forward manner in which it interfaces to my modelling software (Cinema 4D) and the fuss-free way it gives me stellar results.

Something I learned playing with this image: Don't be stingy on the overlap of your internal material volumes - At first I was overlapping the water and the glass just a tiny bit, and the water was rendering like I had mixed charcoal in with it. Increased the overlap, and exaggerated the meniscus just a little to compensate, and bam, perfect render.
refractionTest3.jpg
refractionTest3.jpg (145.47 KiB) Viewed 2873 times

neo0.

Re: Just testing out the software

Post by neo0. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:03 pm

Nice.. tonemapped?

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:42 pm

Great!
Does the black rim at the top of the glass result in intersecing glass mesh and bottom?
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

forgeflow

Post by forgeflow » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:00 am

zeitmeister wrote:Great!
Does the black rim at the top of the glass result in intersecing glass mesh and bottom?
No I was careful to make sure the glass is "hovering" over the ground plane, like it says in the technical manual.

I was pretty careless with the lighting - its the Uffizi light probe. One question I had - I tried to put in an area light to create some "nicer" highlights and when I did so, the environment light vanished, completely. I'm not 100% how to set up the environment material so it is possible I messed something up there.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:20 am

forgeflow wrote: Something I learned playing with this image: Don't be stingy on the overlap of your internal material volumes - At first I was overlapping the water and the glass just a tiny bit, and the water was rendering like I had mixed charcoal in with it. Increased the overlap, and exaggerated the meniscus just a little to compensate, and bam, perfect render.
Yes Indigo needs here some brutal intersections ^^ But by using the Precedence Value correctly Indigo "cuts" the lower precendenced material from the higher one perfectly.
forgeflow wrote:One question I had - I tried to put in an area light to create some "nicer" highlights and when I did so, the environment light vanished, completely. I'm not 100% how to set up the environment material so it is possible I messed something up there.
This is related to the different "light scaling" of different emitter types and lighting models. Indigo has no default normalization here, you have to adjust this in the materials by your self. Simply check the "use emission Scale" checkbox in the emission Tab of the material and set it to Luminous Flux (lumen) for each light material at the same value. Now each light will emit same amount of light. Since the EnvMap is soooo big you have to raise the value here (a lot) and for smaller emitters lower them.

This light management is maybe the "most complicated" about Indigo.... but not to hard! Playing around for some time here and you get a good feeling for what you are doing! I recommend to enable different light layers for each emitter (emitter tab on the top) to finetune multipliers in Indigo render application during rendering and adjust them then correctly into C4D later!

Have fun playing around :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

matsta

Post by matsta » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:24 am

very nice high quality tests.

best of luck with your continued "indication".
blegh, that only works if the resulting word doesn't already exist.

regards
mat

6 posts • Page 1 of 1