1rst render: Problem with lighting

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
CTZn

Re: 1rst render: Problem with lighting

Post by CTZn » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:15 am

i found a lot of different software to monitor temperatures... any in particular you might recommend?
Yes, the one from your motherboard manufacturer ! Might be part of an utilities pack, possibly found on the OEM discs.
obsolete asset

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:32 am

HWMonitor ftw :D

No installation needed and you have a quick overview over all Temp sensors in your PC!
polygonmanufaktur.de

JotaSolano

Post by JotaSolano » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:28 am

Zom-B wrote:HWMonitor ftw :D

No installation needed and you have a quick overview over all Temp sensors in your PC!
Thanks... i don't think my manufacturer sent a software with the pc... (it's a Dell..) so... I'll give hwmonitor a try... also... what's a normal temperature?.. or does that depend on the model of the processor?... cause i also googled that and there wasn't a straight answer :lol:

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:06 am

lycium wrote:2. Nope, I mean the glass of the bulb: all glass in Indigo must have thickness (except for architectural glass, which is currently in development). With the lampshade you use a single-surface diffuse transmitter material.
Do you know more about this architectural glass development? If it's the same thing I've discussed with Nick a few weeks ago, it should not be "zero thickness". It's a finite thickness glass material, using a special BRDF on the side where it's coated.

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

lycium

Post by lycium » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:55 am

Nick has derived a nice model for "thin" (but non-zero thickness) glass panes, though it's still in-development. Dunno when it'll be done, though the man is amazingly quick...

JotaSolano

Post by JotaSolano » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:09 am

Oh this is bad!... CPUID tells my my processor's temperature is 125° F!... and it seems the highest should be 95° F!

It seems the ventilation isn't the best... yet i can hear the fan and it's not working at its fullest! :S cause when i play games it's very much louder...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:29 am

Well, I'd rather not give you advices on how to manage heat because you now have the tools to do it yourself :) Compare the temperatures after a gaming session; Indigo doesn't use the graphical board yet, that should be a relief regarding heat.

Recently I caught my motherboard at 180°F and that's an extreme case I'd rather not experiment again, others rigs might not stand that (my pc is an assembled machine, Dell is something different as far as integration/heat management goes, use caution); desktop systems are usually running safely at 140°F (60°C), 160°F (70+°C) starting to be quite hot (eventually harmfull ?). Defaults settings of your HW monitor seems quite low, easy.

How's MLT doing ?
obsolete asset

JotaSolano

Post by JotaSolano » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:00 am

Désolé... C'est koi MLT?

The thing is that... my pc has never shut down or had any kind of temperature associated issues... I caught that temperature i said before using Vray for Rhino (for a stupid college assignment lol)... and i was rendering a set of glasses... so a lot of transparencies and stuff

I don't know what are the temperatures using Indigo but i don't have anything to render yet, so I haven't tried...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:05 pm

MLT = Metropolis Light Transport, the other rendering mode wich is more efficient for complex light paths (glass) like in your scene.
obsolete asset

JotaSolano

Post by JotaSolano » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:27 am

CTZn wrote:MLT = Metropolis Light Transport, the other rendering mode wich is more efficient for complex light paths (glass) like in your scene.
Oh... well... I haven't rendered anything since the last test... if i use glass next time or materials as such i'll give it a try...

40 posts