Tom's GH House Competition Entry

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
fenerolina

Re: Tom's GH House Competition Entry

Post by fenerolina » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:03 am

Good work Tom!
I like you've choose a difficult way of interpretation. Can we expect to see more renders of your space?

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:23 am

StompinTom wrote:Ono, for scenes like this, can you suggest any way of making it go faster? Would I be better off considering a faster processor (an i7 maybe?). Mine is currently a Phenom 9550 which has been alright, but I feel I should up the ante if I'm going to take this seriously... Up until now I've been sort of half-assing the business side of my arch. viz but I think I may look to get some money to establish myself a bit more, get top notch gear so I can turn things around faster/easier...

I'm still waiting for those new Nvidia cards... I've heard rumors that Indigo will run better on those?
Hi Tom,
An i7 would be a good choice, if a little expensive. I'm running on an i7 and it's great. As for GPUs, any mid-high end nvidia card will be a good start, eg. gtx260 + .

lycium

Post by lycium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:40 am

You can save a good bit of money and get roughly the same performance by going with a 4 core / 8 thread Core i7-860 (LGA1156 socket), they use a lot less power too. Also consider that nVidia's next GPU is out in 10 days... even if you don't buy it you can expect price adjustments to other cards :)

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Hmmm... where I am there is barely any price different between an 860 and a 920 so I think I'll spring for that 920. As for the Nvidia card, I'll definitely be doing for something high end, like the 470/480 if they're not too expensive, or a 285 or so... Just let me know what will help Indigo the most!

Also:

The voting is up! Check out all the amazing entries, there was some serious talent involved!

Congrats also to Jeff for finishing and using Indigo, too bad Godzilla didn't finish. Betrand Benoit, whom we used to see around here a lot, has a kickass entry using 3ds MAX and Vray.

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/forums/gh- ... oting.html

Obviously, vote for who you want, but I'd love you if you rooted for meh! Anyways, hopefully there will be more of these competitions cuz they're great for learning and pushing your skills.

lycium

Post by lycium » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:57 pm

The motherboards for the i7 920 (X58 chipset) are pretty expensive... as for the GPU, definitely grab a GTX 470/480 if you can and don't mind your computer getting turned into a space heater ;)

I'm saddened to hear Godzilla didn't finish, he's super skilled. Gratz to Jeff, I'll check out the entries soon! :D

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:34 am

StompinTom,

Hopefully you are not going to abandon this project now that voting is going on.
Many AcrhVis projects place stunning architecture in a stunning environment but there are often relatively clear boundaries between the two and everything is new and shiny.

I find the way nature is "interacting" with architecture here very interesting. Architecture at the end of its life-cycle so to speak.

I am looking forward to some interior shots!

21 posts