Among the stars

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Re: Among the stars

Post by Pibuz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:38 pm

I don't really think that marble floors will be used in spaceships :lol: , looks a little odd to my eye.
I preferred the previous version, darker colours, more incident light, more contrast, more overall darkness. If I were you, I'd be moving in THAT direction: refining lights and materials.
At the moment, judging from the materials you put in, I can't tell if it is a space kitchen or a huge water closet.

This is not meant to be a stupid critique Neo0, don't get me wrong.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:09 pm

It's hard working on scenes with this many polygons without GPU support... Presumably, there will also be new features for exporters that allow faster export with 2.6? I don't know.. could the GPU help with that kind of thing. I am working in sketchup and my scene takes over a minute to export...

Anyhow, for everyone who thought that indigo couldn't also be used for sci fi art, here is a really cool engine glow effect that I created (entirely in indigo) with a shader..

Hmmm, I wonder if any image format supports opacity gradients..Maybe some sort of "soft alpha" render mode..
Attachments
take me back.jpg
take me back.jpg (63.1 KiB) Viewed 3715 times

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:18 am

neo0. wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if any image format supports opacity gradients..Maybe some sort of "soft alpha" render mode..
PNG does, it's Indigos "fault" that it's not creating "soft" object edges, like for objects in DoF or the glow in your pic.

BTW: What does poly count have to do with GPU support? :?

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:38 am

neo0. wrote: I am working in sketchup and my scene takes over a minute to export...
How many polys ?

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:51 am

It's around 232,000.. From my brief time with octane renderer, I remember being able to export several million polies in a few seconds..
PNG does, it's Indigos "fault" that it's not creating "soft" object edges, like for objects in DoF or the glow in your pic.
Out of curiosity, who's "fault" is it then? :)
Last edited by neo0. on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:57 am

neo0. wrote:It's around 232,000.. From my brief time with octane renderer, I remember being able to export several million polies in a few seconds..

The renderer itself has nothing to do with export time, it would be Sketchup's OBJ exporter which would handle that.
samlavoie.xyz

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:53 am

Godzilla wrote:
neo0. wrote:It's around 232,000.. From my brief time with octane renderer, I remember being able to export several million polies in a few seconds..

The renderer itself has nothing to do with export time, it would be Sketchup's OBJ exporter which would handle that.
+1
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Update :)

Took everyone's advice. Decreased the size for one thing. Room is now only only a little over 100 feet across.. Windows are ~10 feet tall.
Attachments
space.jpg
space.jpg (503.4 KiB) Viewed 3543 times

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:21 am

Feedback?

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:35 am

Gravity generators on your spaceship seem to be broken... better fix them for now and forever.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:48 pm

Nice catch, PureSpider. For some reason, SU changes the position of some of my objects when I import from silo.

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Its needs some lighting.Subtle lighting. Maybe some small table lamps or wall lights. Maybe a bit less brown? :wink:

I mean for space = future. Where I expect things to look bright, shiny and clinical.
Doug

Doug Armand

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Doug, I tried a futuristic shiny look at first.. But this is basically a colony ship.. So I wanted to create something that people could live in..

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:38 pm

I had to tweak my screen gamma not to hurt myself on those angles in the shadow, ain't it dark...

I think the furniture fitting best atm is the round table, though it's plate has curved normals (and reflections).
obsolete asset

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Well just wondering, how could we live there?
Eat the tables?

And octane render and indigo is not the same app, they both get the thing done but not in the same way.
It's like saying that your motorbike does ride on two wheels just fine, so you are wondering why your car does not.

And about the cpu and gpu thing that only tells us that you have invested way more money in a graphic card than a cpu, like you have been waiting for apps to support gpu's forever, since you are constantly complaining that everything is so slow and dont bother to render you images noise free.

And about the scene it's the same one you are always posting, when it clearly does not work out for you why not try make another scene in the meantime.

And wondering how you could get 232,000 in that scene, where there is realy no detail, there must be a whole world behind that camera right?

And thoose tiles one on of those images are huge, and that poor green guy seams to be the only one there, thats why he is standing by the window and wondering how he could back to that planet.

And this is mostly not to be an asshole, but to try and help you or else i wouldnt spend my time writing this :wink:
Last edited by Stromberg on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

50 posts