The Bently

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Whaat
Developer

The Bently

Post by Whaat » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:55 am

These are all renders of our new house that is currently under construction. I am using SketchUp/Indigo to help with visualization of the home before it is built. I am aiming for total photorealism so please provide c&c.

Here is the main floor living room. The fireplace doors were supposed to be a steel mesh material but it didn't come out right. I will try again with glass doors.
Attachments
LR3.png
LR3.png (736.48 KiB) Viewed 6368 times

Whaat
Developer

Re: The Bently

Post by Whaat » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:56 am

Kitchen render to test possible countertop and backsplash combination. I will maybe add some objects to the countertop at some point.
Attachments
kitchen3.png
kitchen3.png (615.1 KiB) Viewed 6359 times

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:21 am

These a are some great renders, whaat. My only crits would be :
-Wooden floor looks a bit too shiny
-The area around the fireplace needs a proper material (stone would do really well)
-Lampshade material for lamps?
-Button/knobs for the microwave? Maybe even a display?

benn

Post by benn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:26 am

Absolutely awesome.

I don't know if I would naturally take photos from that height? Wouldnt you hold the camera at eye level?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Three things Whaat:

- the floor texture is way too saturated
- soft surfaces are too regular (tricky to change I guess)
- a very good wip
obsolete asset

dmn
3rd Place Winner

Post by dmn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:26 pm

that is a weird result with the mesh material :| Was it really supposed to be that big, or is that some kind of aliasing artifact?

-lazyboy backseat cushion intersects armrest, most noticeable in foreground
-more detail to bannister even though it's out of focus?
-use exponent/ bump map on backsplash
-use wood grain texture for cabinets that has more variation but the level of detail is fine. and maybe lower the contrast a little
-relationship of cabinet cornice to face of cabinet door seems odd/ should be flush?
-counter is way too shiny

-nice rug :shock:

-maybe heating coils and a light in the oven with something cooking for the holidays? Christmas ham? Turducken? :mrgreen:

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Nice renderings Whaat. I just can't stand the kitchen design. I'm cooking a lot and when I imagine
I'd build my own house and somebody would make me enjoy cooking in such a place I'd rant for sure.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

So even if you keep the design like that then at least change some stuff like ...

Where is it? :P

A kitchen needs space, like every room does. If you're there you should feel good. Why soooooo
many shelf? Do you or your wife have so much stuff to toss in there? :shock: :wink: Let the kitchen
breath and the person that will "work" there too. Since I'm from Germany I guess the kitchen design
is much different here then in Canada. Anyway it shouldn't be overloaded like this IMHO. And even
if you're a traditional guy, take a look at some newer designs and get inspired. ;)

Just my two cents and not meant personal. ;o))

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:48 am

Thanks for the feedback!

@psor: I think German kitchen design might be a bit different and more trendy. We will probably do something more traditional. We feel we need all the cabinets and countertop space because in our current house, we are always running out of storage space. However, the kitchen hasn't really been designed yet so maybe we will change our minds, who knows? The vent for the range is actually in the Microwave BTW :)

@dmn: The mesh has quite small openings, much smaller than it looks from the render which leads me to think it is an aliasing artifact. I didn't use 'step blend' for the mesh blend map so that might be another reason.

@ctzn: Yes, you're right about the floor, it is too saturated. I have a new version cooking right now that uses a sigma map on the sofa to add variation. Will post later...

djegoo
Indigo 100

Post by djegoo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:32 am

hi
i like the pov's, and the images are great in general. Only 2 crits :
THe floor of the 2nd image is too shiny, and the handrail of the first view looks like chocolate :D or nutella! haha! i d bite in it!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:43 am

<homer>mmmmm.....chocolate handrail......</homer>
Seems like a good idea to me. :lol:

dmn
3rd Place Winner

Post by dmn » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:33 am

+1 for nixing microwave over the stove at least. I have that arrangement in my kitchen and it's meh.

:idea: Maybe to get more 'space' at the window corner you could do radiused open shelving instead of a full cabinet? Then put all your cool glassware there? Would make for a sweet rendering!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:15 pm

I didn't really want this thread to be about everyone judging our kitchen design. :roll: I'm trying to get some advice on the renders.

However, what is the problem with the microwave above the range? This is very common in North America. Do you always bump your head on it? :lol:

dmn
3rd Place Winner

Post by dmn » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:25 pm

sorry for derailing thread, but yeah, I bump my head on it all the time. :oops: Plus the vent isn't very effective, and the steam always coats the front of the microwave and the cabinets, and if you have little ones it may be something to consider at what point you want them leaning over the burners to microwave something. But as you say it is standard design here in America. A less standard but much better option would be to keep the microwave and oven in the same place but get a separate cooktop and put it in the peninsula. An even better detail would have you set the separate cooktop an inch or so below counter level and have cutting boards that fit over the burners/ buttons when not in use. There are cooktops that have built in down vents for cooking fumes so you don't need a range hood at all.

As far as more render criticism you could rotate the frontal relationship of the kitchen cabinet render a bit counterclockwise. Maybe we're actually not seeing enough of the ceiling? Get the downlight above the sink? And you need a backdrop with some color perhaps so your reflective surfaces aren't so black?

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:45 pm

another view along with some tweaks and changes. I know the dishwasher and the subway tile need a bit of work.
Attachments
kitchen4.jpg
kitchen4.jpg (189.35 KiB) Viewed 5572 times

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:51 pm

Here's a test I did where I applied a sigma map to the sofa to try to simulate the swipes of a micro-suede fabric. I kind of liked how it turned out.
Attachments
LR4.jpg
LR4.jpg (150.45 KiB) Viewed 5569 times

24 posts