Room by a new guy..

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
codemonk

Room by a new guy..

Post by codemonk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:39 pm

Just found indigo 2 days ago and I am happy. Indigo does what I have been trying to get yafray to do nicely for a long time now: Natural looking lighting without a lot of fuss. I've tried to make a model/render of a room for sometime but never got very far and I think this time I can actually finish it since indigo lighting (which frusterates me to no end) work exactly how I expect it to.

So without further introduction my first indigo WIP I hope will actually go somewhere:

8.5hr's on a dual core 4200+ amd64(with 20% overclock) with indigo v0.6 test 6

Pretty basic for now but I'm happy with the desk model so now I can begin work on the rest of the scene.

I'd like to get the glass to be more of a diffused glass so that it doesn't show things perfectly but rather blurs them more, much like having a low exponent in a phong material would do but I'm not sure if thats possible. And the floor needs to be tiled at least to play nice. Other than that I'm quite happy with it.

Only thing that looks odd to me is the verticle bands in the shadow of the glass... Any ideas where that comes from?

Thanks in advance for feedback and hopefully when I'm done I'll have something worthy of being shown off.

lego

Post by lego » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:58 pm

lol I was about to ask you how did you manage to create those vertical bands :D
I like the table very much!

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:01 pm

The vertical bands may be reflections from the inside surface of the glass where it meets the metal.

codemonk

Post by codemonk » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:37 pm

Well I finally got a little more free time to work on this again(Curse you sociology homework!) and did up a quick 12 minute(aprox. 105 mutations per pixel) render:

I'm going to try to finish up my details on the blinds and possibly start on some desk clutter and do an overnight render in the next couple hours so I may have something more interesting to post in the morning. I think I may have to get a nice HDR as my lighting for this so I have some cool stuff out the window besides just blue.

About the lines the only thing that seems contrary to them being because of internal reflections is that they appear to be oriented to the image, not to the surfaces that the shadow is falling on. If they where because of refraction I would expect them to change angle at the corner of the wall and floor.

codemonk

Post by codemonk » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:44 am

8hr render again, mostly finished up the blinds and added in the monitor of the desk. I want to add more detail into the blinds and the monitor but I think I'll work on getting some mildly complete models of most items so I can work a bit on how to put together the scene as a whole before I finish up all the details on the pieces.

The render is a little darker than I wanted, I gave it a quickshot at trying to make the screen have an image on it but asyou can see it didn't work. I have a few ideas I want to try though so hopefully I'll be able to get that going for the next render.

I should have a fair amount of time free this afternoon and this weekend to get some more headway into the modeling.

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:55 am

The new picture looks already soooo beautiful! Keep up the good work,
I'll keep an eye on this thread. :P :D ;)

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

codemonk

Post by codemonk » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:01 am

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it. First time I've ever gotten an image to the point where anyone has said they'll keep an eye on it. Makes for great motivation, I wish I was home working on this right now... Oh well. I will be in an hour or so..

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:07 am

You're very welcome. What I really like about it is the atmosphere that
you've created. I would like to write a bit more but I've to repair my
keyboard first (spacebar is dead and the onScreenKeyboard sux) :roll: :? :wink:

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

codemonk

Post by codemonk » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:56 pm

Finidhed the blinds and the window area to my satisfaction. I'm working on a computer case and some game boxes now, should have them at least mostly ready for a nice long render tonight.

50M rendertime but only using one thread, overnight renders are all 2 threads:

codemonk

Post by codemonk » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:46 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates, life and other projects/goals took over for a while so this is on hold for now. I plan to return to it at somepoint when I'm less ocupied and more employed.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1