First render

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
mwesch

First render

Post by mwesch » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:56 am

Here is my first render, yet i seem to be rather unsatisfied with it :? i'm not really sure how it should or could be improved anyway it looks very average compared to most of the stuff in this forum. :lol:

Anyways c & c welcome

Thanks Chris

Edit: alson i'm not quite sure what the sort of weird noise is on the first left cupboard and below it the worktop?
Attachments
Cuisine.png
Phail Kitchen ;D
Cuisine.png (880.25 KiB) Viewed 8315 times

Nick

Re: First render

Post by Nick » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:16 am

Not bad...congratulation!
What did you use to model?

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:10 am

I see you're using my hardwood floor texture :)
samlavoie.xyz

mwesch

Post by mwesch » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:58 am

I used Sketchup to model =] and that hardwood texture is gorgeous!

benn

Post by benn » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:33 am

I think it's a great scene! The chairs at the front maybe need a bit more modelling.

mwesch

Post by mwesch » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:05 pm

Just out of interest what is that chequering in the left cupboard and work surface, is that just becausei haven't left in converge enough?

Schosch
1st Place Winner

Post by Schosch » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:19 pm

It's ... a tile texture? :D
It doesn't look like noise at all.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi Mwesch!
Great scene this far! I think this really has a great potential!

The tiling texture error often occurs when you assign a material to a surface (or group of surfaces), then you make a group/component out of that surface (or group of surfaces) and then you assign (usually by chance) another texture to the WHOLE group/component.

When I have to deal with this problem, I usually explode mu group/component far off the scene and then I re-group it. This should fix the problem.

mwesch

Post by mwesch » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:11 am

Thanks Pibuz i will certainly give that a try, and post the results tommorow, but i'm struggling to get a nice beige colour with my cupboard because i believe the bump map is darkening it. But i've just cut down on the bump map because there is no need for it with this low amount of light. Also have you noticed my faucet seems to be really dark, its the chrome preset. Last thing, this may sound novice but my dont think it looks very realistic i dont know if its because of the noise or whatever i'm just not sure what to do to make it more realistic. :?

Thanks Chris

dmn
3rd Place Winner

Post by dmn » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:09 am

I know sketchup doesn't really let you access the point of interest directly, but use the look tool to rotate the view up until the vertical lines are straight, then use indigo's shift function to move the image plane back down to the table. Or is indigo's shift linked to SUs two-point perspective setting? Really the difference between something that looks professional and something that looks like a snapshot I think, but perhaps that was your angle :mrgreen: ?

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:51 pm

Mwesch, this is a really hard scene indeed, if you want the opinion of one who has been playing with Indigo/SkIndigo for a while.. It is really wide, and you see lots of stuff around! This will "complicate" the rendering phase, obviously. A scene, to be realistic, has to be full of small details, and if the scene is wide you have to put a lot of them in. First thing I can recall is BEVELING. Almost every object has beveled edges, so I suggest you download a great ruby plugin from the Sketchucation forums (http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... &sk=t&sd=a) and apply it to your nearest objects.
Second thing is texturing: always use good texture for extensive surfaces: the floor is good because you have a good texture aplpied to it. Try to use only partially saturated textures: too much saturation pushes down realism a lot.
Third thing is contrast: try to play a little with the levels of the sun an the sky, changing their default value of 1. Then, try to play a little with the camera response functions.

These are my tips. I really think this is already something to be proud of, by the way. Make some subtle changes, add small details, let it cook longer and you'll have a masterpiece. Oh, the two points perspective idea is really good, but remember that the default SU 2 points perspective isn't supported (as far as I know) by SkIndigo. You have to download cameraparameters.rb from smustard (free) and input the same z value in both camera and target fields.

mwesch

Post by mwesch » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:18 pm

I've just finished rendering this, i may carry on rendering it depending on what you think :lol:

anyways i have changed to a exponent map on the beige cupboards and a few colours. See what you think.
Attachments
Cuisine 3.png
meh...
Cuisine 3.png (749.47 KiB) Viewed 7876 times

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Very nice scene you've got there. A few points tho. Get rid of the wood texture that you're
using for the chairs and the table - it looks terrible, sorry to say that. Something is wrong with
the window. Does it have a frame?

The cupboards looks like the gaps of the doors are missing. If they are there, make 'em bigger.
I think the metal shader of the fridge looks to uniform, probably use a "scratch" map. And maybe
get some more "life" into the kitchen it looks to clean. So get some specular maps in and use it
on the floor, the table and workspaces.

I hope I'm not to blunt. :roll: :wink:

edit: To get rid of the noise a bit faster. Use some fill lights behind the camera.
Just a note, a professional photographer will not make any photo without getting the
light right. It's always fake ... so help yourself. ;o)))

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

mwesch

Post by mwesch » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks psor one is never to blunt, i kinda need all the advice i can get :P, yeh i'll bear that all in mind thanks. About the window, i looks fine in sketchup but it maybe because i turned my glass texture into exit portals i dunno, by fill lights dyou just mean like massive emmiting planes?

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:29 pm

Uhm, ... if you turned that, what would be glass into an exit portal, ... well yes that is
probably the culprit. Would have to see a Sketchup screenshot to tell. And yes I mean
bigger emitter as fill light. And keep it up mate! ;)

example:

http://www.speedlightprokit.com/?p=198

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

23 posts