Get feedback from others on your works in progress
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Relax

Post by Pibuz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi guys!
This is another wip of mine. Just testing more layerblending capabilities, nothing special to say here.
Two emitters (a rectangular mesh on the left to simulate a door/window, the light bulb), no specular materials, only phongs and diffuse.
I'm testing a little the white plaster, which has always been a problem for me (:wink:), and a subtle displacement on the carpet. I'm satisfied with the result (displacement works really really fine now, for me!!!!!So glad!!!!!), but not at all about the object's positioning. Gonna change that.

What else? 1170spp reached in a night-time cooking, original output size 1600x1600. No postpro at all, excepted a little "joke" to give some life to the scene (it's easy but...can you see that? :wink: )

C&C always appreciated, as you know

**EDIT**
Oh, I forgot: I owe credits to the author of the comic. I foud the picture on the internet, and it was impossible to read his name.. :?
..Hope i can post this....
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (582.14 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (724.07 KiB) Viewed 5731 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (664.62 KiB) Viewed 5731 times

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:03 pm

Great scene!
Maybe the reflection on the leather material is a bit too hard, and the metal-ball-click-clack-thingy in the sideboard seems a little bit too large to me.

SATtva_
1st Place Winner

Post by SATtva_ » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:43 pm

Looks nice and realistic. Carpet edge is too sharp for me, but that's all.

2kemon

Post by 2kemon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:22 am

I think your renders are top notch pibuz, and I would just like to praise you for your dedication to help other skindigo users.
I read your FAQ, but never got around to commenting on it. But it has a lot of very detailed information for us "skindigos"
I like your materials, and I would have been proud to produce something of similar quality. The only thing that could be the icing on the cake is a bump map, and maybe a "dirt map" for your leather, to break the uniform look and reflection on the chair. I can set you up with a half decent bump map if you would like?

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:30 am

Yeah realy realy nice, sounds like a BbB scene :D

crojack

Post by crojack » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:55 pm

great work as always Pibuz,
the second one has good feel to me, nice lighting.

so, you rendered these all at once with the light layers thing? I haven't messed around with that yet.
Did it increase the render times?

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi all guys, thanks for your kind words! :D :D :D

2kemon: thank you a lot, mate. I really appreciate your comments, and your reference to my FAQ. Happy to hear that it is useful for someone. Getting down to the scene, I am not so satisfied with the leather material, as I already said (I guess). So, a good bump/spec map would be really great. Yet, I could have some which could do the job, but my basic problem is MAPPING IT, because the geometry of the chair and ottoman is really particular, and orthogonal projection wouldn't work..
Maps and/or mapping tips are greatly welcome!

Jambert: thanks my friend. Best congratulation one can get. :oops:

crojack: thank you Cro! Indeed, I expected to get a huge incrementation of rendering times when using layer blending system. In truth, I didn't notice any. :D This scene is small and simple, and somehow optimized for rendering (the room "box" has no bottom face, for example) but it was cooked during a night (say 10 hours) and it's almost done. Now, I have to test layerblending with IES (I know there are still some normalization problems, just want to see it myself). I'm gonna let you guys know soon.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:22 pm

I have a question.. So if the room didnt have a bottom face, how did you make the floor?

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:37 pm

..Sorry Neo0 if I wasn't clear..
With "bottom" I meant the face behind the camera: you can see black reflections in shiny objects..
Sorry again :oops:

9 posts • Page 1 of 1