Page 1 of 2
Bullets
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:00 pm
by neo0.
First time using Blackbody lights.. And one of the new times I used mesh emitters. Much more realistic than anything else.
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:48 pm
by neepneep
one million eight hundred thousand bytes for an image??
I'd hate to think of how much co2 gets produced everytime the image is viewed.
In future, think of the coral seas and how your actions are causing acidification of the waters and thus the bleaching and deaths of countless colonies

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:23 pm
by Stinkie
You're not the first to complain about the size of his images.
I'm gonna give it one last try:
Dude, re-save your images as jpegs prior to posting 'em.
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:38 pm
by pixie
Please folks, browse the web with
lynx, the earth will thank you..

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:04 am
by handsomedave
It's -10 degrees F here today. I'm using IE7 trying to produce as much C02 as possible. Hooray for global warming.
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:50 am
by CTZn
Then wait for the global water-cooling wich comes after
Pixie, could you capture how Lynx looks like when browsing this site ? Maybe there are already videos around...
----
Oh btw neo0., we may have not came OT if you had payed some attention earlier about images size and such.
Not to talk about the resulting feeling 'bout your... attention
BTW please, ehr...no, enough. STOP titles like "How would you do this material", name it instead (ie: "how to make
copper") ! People can't bother to travel through neo0.'s inexisting naming convention to find usefull bits !
You know I would appreciate a lot that people care about me, my actions etc But not just to feel I do exist, but to ehance my behaviour toward them.
Can you figure out what will happen when people realize that you don't care, or underestimate their interventions ?
Think about it...
Disclaimer: My actual policy is to say those things in public, because they are the consequences of a public action. That may choke with the netiquette but I can take the same in turn myself; I do believe in self-improvement while I know some people don't have a clue.
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:42 am
by pixie
Sure!
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:08 am
by CTZn
Thank you, sorry to have your CO2 emission rising
Looks less time consuming than web2.0, do'h !
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:18 am
by alex22
Btw:
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol ... 489134.ece
Already using google search needs great amounts of power
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:45 am
by MSUdom5
CTZn wrote:People can't bother to travel through neo0.'s inexisting naming convention to find usefull bits !
Oddly, neo0.'s posts are usually quite entertaining to me. My favorite are the threads where he asks a question, 5 or 6 people respond suggesting answers, and he responds with something like, "So does anyone know how to do it?" (See the hologram material post.)
When it gets really boring, sometimes I do a user search for neo0.'s posts. Always brightens my day, and I get a few sincere chuckles out of it.
I'm picking on you neo0.

But I agree with others, might be to your benefit to pay a little more attention to responses. Nice bullets by the way!
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:37 am
by neo0.
So, once we're done talking about how much co2 my render has.. Uh.. Could we get back on topic.. maybe?
I converted the png to a jpeg. I have no clue why indigo is missing native support for jpegs. I don't see what the point is in arbitrary making people convert pngs ever time they render.
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:26 pm
by MSUdom5
neo0. wrote:I converted the png to a jpeg.
Thanks. See? Wasn't so bad, was it?
neo0. wrote: I have no clue why indigo is missing native support for jpegs.
Cause that's photoshop's job.

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:32 pm
by Borgleader
MSUdom5 wrote:
neo0. wrote: I have no clue why indigo is missing native support for jpegs.
Cause that's photoshop's job.

Also:
PNG = Uncompressed format which is awesome for high quality stuff.
also png supports transparency which...jpeg does not
In any case im pretty sure there are automatic converters for this type of job. I remember having one for converting .tga images into .jpg images (back when the WoW screenshots could only be output in .tga format)
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:43 pm
by MSUdom5
Borgleader wrote:[
PNG = Uncompressed format which is awesome for high quality stuff.
Of course, you meant to say "lossless" instead of "uncompressed". PNG is a compressed format.

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:44 pm
by neo0.
Cause that's photoshop's job.
So should we go ahead and drop other things that save people time (image resolution maybe), because "thats photoshop's job" too?
PNG = Uncompressed format which is awesome for high quality stuff.
also png supports transparency which...jpeg does not
Well.. eventually the PNG is have to get converted to a jpeg, otherwise, people are going to complain about how much CO2 in it...

If high quality work really neccesitates PNGs and intitially rendering to a jpeg causes some sort of degradation in quality.. Add an option to convert to jpeg, as the final step when you close indigo!
I thought 32 bit jpegs do support alpha. I could be wrong, but I think 28 bits are for the RGB channel and the remaining for go to the alpha..
Really, it's not that complicated. You'd be hard pressed to find any other renderer that doesn't support jpegs, or for that matter multiple file formats.
Even Yafray (with it high learning curve and inferior image quality to indigo

) can do this.