small parisian studio

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
CTZn

small parisian studio

Post by CTZn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:07 pm

I started this one a few months ago, I'm happy to pursue it with 1.1.9. Also I'm glad old material definition is still supported because I modified the exporter since I started that render and now Indigo yells and stop :( Actually I tend to think that the new definition format is partially supported, rather :)

So it's very wip, bump on floor is irrelevant, the two textures used are maya procedurals converted to files, 650 spp. Oh, it may be worth to mention that I could use linear and camera tm with UI by setting master level of layer to the minimum, camera tm used here. Honestly I'd prefer numeric input fields for tm stuff.

obsolete asset

beyer

Post by beyer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:20 pm

Could you explain the layout of the room a little? To me it looks like a bathroom combined with a kitchen (is that a bar fridge?) built in the attic of a house with a steep roof.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:03 pm

You got it all, it's 9m² :)

It sure has not the standing of BbB's parisian flat, but it's real; I've spend fifteen years in there. Seventh floor without lift ! The plank in the foreground is where the couch lies, the camera is aproximatively 1.2m above ground level. It's a... standard fridge, bigger than a bar fridge I guess.

Thought, it's over now, I moved to some bigger and nicer place, thanks ;) only reference used for construction is my memory.

Textually these little rooms are called "handmaid's room", they are very common in Paris on top of old buildings. Primarily the building belonged to one family, and the servants were living there, on top of everyone. Still very common, mainly rented by students. Two things: an unbeatable pov over the city's roofs, and hot as hell in summer. Roof is made of metal (Zn), sometimes heat is really crazy.

Another shot, older version of the scene ( apr 08 ).
Last edited by CTZn on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obsolete asset

beyer

Post by beyer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:10 pm

Well that is fascinating, I thought it must have existed only in your imagination! I'll be interested to see how it turns out, the space certainly has a lot of character.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:15 pm

Update !

It's still not half-done but I like where it is going, camera tonemapping from UI. I wonder if you people found the trick to use linear and camera tonemapping in Indigo UI ? What works for me is to set the master layer level to 0.0000, then hit the right arrow key once to set the value to it's minimum. From there the picture should appear quite dark, not burned anymore and ready for fine tm. Just in case.

Caustics are crazy in this scene, it's almost entirely lit inderectly by a patch of sunlight hitting the floor outside of the camera frustum (and hiting partially the kitchnet). Initially the kitchnet (?) is Al.nk, I'm using 1.1.10 and I wonder if it's just a phong rendered without nk ? Tiles are being redone for the floor, and will be found on many walls as well (another kind of tiles of course). Also I'd like to finally test shift lens, it's still not implemented in the exporter (Maya) tho...

Also I identified one geometry wich crashes Indigo while it has UVs, I have still not identified what's wrong with them. I have another object with the very same topology for wich I used another projection scheme, there may be UVs seams hiding somewhere or something.

A lot of blah for a little update... I'm happy now that external meshes normals are preserved, thanks Ono :D

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:36 pm

Nice caustics !
AA issues on the borders of the window?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:39 pm

Thanks suv, yep I guess so :) I wished I could change the filter right into the ui, but I don't think framebuffer is unfiltered. Default filter at actual resolution, no supersampling.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:06 am

At the window, glare will probably help ;)
That looks great, really :D
The caustics are amazing :) Nice mood, although I really wonder why the toilet is where it is... xD

delle

Post by delle » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:31 am

I love the Toilette material.

Can you share it?

Thanks

Delle

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:15 am

@kram: Thanks, the toilets are where they are because in this kind of studio, it is a luxury not to have to go through a corridor to access them, wich is usual. Yes, I'll use camera diffraction for the final shots. I still have to add the window's frame too, amongst a ton of things.

@delle: Nothing fancy here, it's plain phong :) Same mat then the fridge, plain white (wich is not good), ior 2.4 and exponent at 800000. The lighting condition doubled by camera tonemapping may give that very ceramic aspect.

Looking for that material in Maya I realised my last working session was lost, the scene was partially saved, no mats few geos argh.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:45 am

lol, I see xD

Too bad that it didn't save :?
Hopefully you will continue anyway...? ^^

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:28 am

Not right now :(

I certainly will, and I suppose I'll give a shot at simpler scenes meanwhile. That's the common kind of obstacle when you start doing things you should have done long before, like a painfull warming session... I'm not giving up :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:16 am

I retrived the geometries from exported external meshes, so I'm updating and then will go on.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:10 am

Floor test.

Each image rendered for 10h+@800x600 on one (old) core, they are taking forever since the room has so much white material applied and heavy DoF. Same tonemapping values for both, tiles are geometries (500k tris for them all). I'll reduce tris to the quarter, the noise I applied to them is too high freq.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:17 am

Tiles first test, they are ugly :)
obsolete asset

40 posts