architecture : private house wip

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
drBouvierLeduc

architecture : private house wip

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:59 am

Hi,
I decided to switch from yafray to indigo for my architectural vizualisations, so I will post here my very first test renders.
I'm quite happy with this first try althought there are still some things that bother me, like :

_ The sky color : how can I get a clear sunny day ? I tried to change some settings (turbidity, sky gain, white balance, aperture radius) but the sky remains always too dark. Here are my settings :
<sundir>0.650663 0.328699 0.684540</sundir>
<turbidity>2.000000</turbidity>
<sky_gain>0.005000</sky_gain>

_ And for the moment I can't get the textures to show. But I gess I have to search this forum some more...

INDIGO RENDER :

And some previous yafray renders for comparison :

For information this is just a typical house that you can find in the middle-west of france (well, maybe too big to be the average house, but anyway).

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:22 am

another view, still the same problem : it's too dark... any advice for the sky settings ?

zuegs

Post by zuegs » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:48 am

I recommend to use a nice sunny EXR environment map... i dont know if it exists for free (haven't found yet :lol: ) but this will lead to a very realistic sky.
For textures: what modeler/exporter do you use?

WLAD

Post by WLAD » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:11 am

do you use tonemaping? if not try reinhard mode with prescale 1, postscale 2, or prescale 2 and postscale 3.

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:23 am

Another test and... another problems !
I changed the place and direction of the sun, and now the scene seems to be lit by a spotlight... the center is much brighter than the borders.... why ? Is it too near the house ?
Oh by the way, I tried to use a hdri map, it works fine, but it tends to produce very soft shadows... so I prefer to use the sun in blender in order to get exactly the lighting I want.

I finally could apply some texture (the wooden terrace in front), but it is much darker than the rest of the scene.

And I've still got that sky problem : it's too dark, like at the sunset, while in my scene the sun is situated just on top of the house...
I played a little with the tonemapping settings, but it enlightens the whole scene, so if the sky is ok, then the house become totally white.

So I don't know exactly what to change in order to get a correct outdoor lighting... the place of the sun in blender ? or the tonemap settings in the xml file ?

Well, here are my settings :
<reinhard>
<pre_scale>0.9</pre_scale>
<post_scale>0.9</post_scale>
</reinhard>

<skylight>
<sundir>0.226315 -0.526516 0.819489</sundir>
<turbidity>2.000000</turbidity>
<sky_gain>0.005000</sky_gain>
</skylight>

zuegs

Post by zuegs » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:43 am

hdri and soft shadows: the shadows depends of the hdri picture, you need a hdri with a strong sun, then the shadows wil come harder. The sun model in indigo is very simple... so don't expect to much :oops:

textures: note that texture color gets multiplied with diffuse color of the material, so if you have a blender material with a COL texture you should set the blender diffuse color to white.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1