Architectural viz - closed

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:01 pm

I haven't seen him here all holiday. I don't blame him really.

Posiadala

Post by Posiadala » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:57 pm

Hi again.
First of all thx for explanation.

On previous pics IOR of media was like 1.3, or sth like that. Here I've changed it to 1.

It makes glass much too reflective, glass got IOR 1,55. I know that it may be phisically corect, but i don't wont this effect. I've thought mayby mixing glass with null may help?? Have anyone tried that?
The second way may be changing the glass material for one from Schott Glass Material Library. Can I use it from the blendigo or do I have to edit XML file?

So anyway for night I've set my old glass material, ior with IOR 1,3. It baked for about 10h, no streaks appeard. I'm sad :cry:

Unfortunetly I haven't sucseed - no streaks :( any further advices, please?

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:33 am

(Window)glass should have 1.52...
But there's a *real* way to reduce the reflections (which would also increase the rendertimes): You can use lower IoR glass with a normal-IoR-glass core :) (multi layered glass)
The lowest IoR standard glasses, which aren't too hard to produce with technical stuff, have about 1.4.... that should already be noticeably less reflective ;)

Don't you see the clear line, crossing the scene?
You know, this SSS mat is a uniform scatterer. It's not randomly placed in a room, like dust or smoke. It's as if you mix air with smoke, until it's evenly spread over the whole room. You wont see any single streaks. Only one "block" of light. Which already is the case ;)

Very nice, btw :D

Posiadala

Post by Posiadala » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:22 am

Kram1032 wrote: Don't you see the clear line, crossing the scene?
You know, this SSS mat is a uniform scatterer. It's not randomly placed in a room, like dust or smoke. It's as if you mix air with smoke, until it's evenly spread over the whole room. You wont see any single streaks.
Yes, I know that, but what I see is just not working for me.. But i got some ideas to try, and I'll try asap. But for now I'll go around other changes requested by my employer. But volumetric efects will be back :]
Kram1032 wrote:Very nice, btw :D
thx very much.

and about glass: I don't think I can aford increasing render time ( and plus time to remodel the glasses ), but I'll try to mix it with null as I said before.

And realy great thanks for all of You for being such a great and helpful communuity.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:00 am

cool :) can't wait
What does he think about Indigo, 'till now? :)

Posiadala

Post by Posiadala » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:54 am

I don't think he actually knows/cares about it. He is an architect, not really interest in CG, but he was realy supprised when I told him, that I'm using only free software. Hopefully He will love my pics and indigo :D

Posiadala

Update!

Post by Posiadala » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:46 am

Did some testing recently, got better effects with volumetric:

It's just one of many renders, mayby I'll post some other later.

Got question 4U guys: can anyone give me advide about indigo settings for this particular scene? It's going to be a big pic ( 5000X1500 ) for printing (output format is 100X30cm), so I know that rendering will take long, but it will take even longer ang give weak results if settings wont be good.

Tried to look on my own, like reading thread with tests in indigo general forum. But I didn't get a clear conclusion about values of parametres. Previews were made with MNCR 100, now, after reading I know that it is not very good value. Mayby 1000? What about others?
Mayby someone did something similar to this and can share his settings?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:57 am

600 is the lowest reasonable value, but it's not that good.
You'll have more fireflies with 1000 but the overall quality still should be better...
Over 1000, you'll get too noisy pics, which wont ever get clean from fireflies, so 1000 should be your maximum. Maybe also your optimum... make some further tests and compare, or simply go with 1000 ;)

Search for "MNCR" in the forum search, and you'll surely fine "CoolColJoe's Test Image Thread" - or something, close to that.
If you go through it, you'll find overall situations, where which settings will be better (most but not all of the thread is about MNCR....) and he also gives his favorite settings for everything. But that should be decided by each user on his own... For example, he's not that a big fan of Hybrid mode, but others prefer it over MTL....

It's quite a massive thread, so you might just want to see his favourite settings... But you definitely should read through all of it (at least the informative part), once ;)

very nice new effect :) The only thing, that's strange, is the plants or what ever they are...
If time doesn't matter, you might want to try out dr Bouvier Leduc's leaf material, in his mat test thread.... search for "leaf material" or something, via the forum search... you'll surely find it. ;)

xrok1

Post by xrok1 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:44 pm

Posiadala

Post by Posiadala » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:05 am

hello again.
First of all sorry for not responding and not updating this thread, but first deadline was getting tight, and after that exam session has began.

Unfortunetly there will be no end for this job in Indigo. :( It is already finished, but in blender's internal renderer, beceouse my employer cared about realistic render not as much as about some specyfic effects ( like volumetric light with single streaks etc. ), so I switched from Indigo.

Anyway thank You all very much for Your help once again. I won't show You final image, beceouse I think it's ugly :oops: , but my employer said, that he got what he wanted.

bye, see You around.

25 posts