Simple Renderings Thread

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
doublez

Post by doublez » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:52 pm

BbB That is awesome! I don't know how you count that as simple :D To me that is a full project.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:46 pm

Here another HL2 EP2 taken Model... this time the Hunter.
This Bastards eat Bullets for Breakfast and are hard to Kill

ATM I'm trying to use the new features Alpha Render & Region Rendering to archive a faster & better result in Shadow composing for Env Map lightened Renderings...
The main exercise is here doing this with some DOF Blur on the image.
I hope (but I'm not sure atm) that alpha rendering in Indigo can really archive here the results I look for (smooth & fitting mask on DOF blured Objects).

This one was A quick and Dirty one, with a little displaced second rendering for shadows, so you'll see some halos around the feet :/ So no shame at Indigo!! This was human failure... :?

I hope to get a higher res, longer rendered and better done result for the second run...
Attachments
hunter.png
hunter.png (514.71 KiB) Viewed 4787 times
polygonmanufaktur.de

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:42 pm

Wow... that looks cool.
The way alpha rendering works right now in Indigo, there will be some of the old background colour mixed in to the edges of objects, especially when they are blurred.
I could possibly get around this by doing a render mode where the background isn't drawn at all but is just black, which could be used in conjunction with alpha output.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:25 pm

OnoSendai wrote:I could possibly get around this by doing a render mode where the background isn't drawn at all but is just black, which could be used in conjunction with alpha output.
Hmm... but wouldn't be in this case the Black BG be received as a "black halo" on the blurred Objects?

To Archive this result 4 rendering passes were needed.

1) floating objects lightened by the env map
2) The same Scene, but with an ground Plane to catch shadows (region rendering is an option here!)
3) The Alpha Rendering to get a mask for removing the objects on Pass 2)
4) A totally sharp rendering of the env map only

ATM I've got the most Pain with composing 2) This shot has to have minimal or better even no vignetting, by keeping the DOF exaxtly the same, any ideas???
I'm also play around with some methods of receive the shadows and get the ground plane away. I could try to get it totally white and multiply it in PS with pass 1) or doing some Keying, by having the Plane a bright green color for example... I'm not sure whats the best option here.

I try to work with the Tonemapped EXR's for this "Project", but it seems they are somehow off in the Gamma Value :/
I have to set The Gamma to from 1 to 0.45 so it fits to the png output!

Pass 4) is needed in this case, because the DOF Blur is maximized on the Env Map, because its actually a big sphere far away... I need to do a Depth pass in C4D to get some DOF blur on this one in Photoshop, so the foreground ground stays sharp...

BTW: could it be that the env_map gets displayed mirrored??! it seems so....
polygonmanufaktur.de

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:06 pm

True... but this could be avoided with some weighting.

About your questions...
Is the background an env map?

I fixed the env map mirrored bug, or so I thought :)

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:22 pm

OnoSendai wrote:True... but this could be avoided with some weighting.
Sounds good... getting ride of a black "halo effect" is easier than from an image based halo effect ;-)
OnoSendai wrote:Is the background an env map? I fixed the env map mirrored bug, or so I thought :)
Yes its an EnvMap...compared to the way C4D displays the env map on a big sphere or the sky object its mirrored....
So I checked out some env maps with streets signs etc. something you can read. Actually Indigo is doing it right! Sorry for the Panic... :oops:
polygonmanufaktur.de

sth

Post by sth » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:58 am

I baked it some time ago I started from indigo 1.0.4 and ended with 1.0.6 rendering on 1 out of 2 cores few hours a day and saving IGIs ;)
It's about 8000samples/px and there's some noise removed (GREYCstoration)
A lot of new stuff is engaged: key light is IES, glass material it tabulated, camera has got custom tonemapping and aperture (isn't well visible), also partly :D new image filtering.
What is strange to me - when I moved from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 my image shrank 2px each dimension. Do you think it is related to new filtering?
Attachments
glass_ind_.jpg
Simple glass
glass_ind_.jpg (254.81 KiB) Viewed 4542 times

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:35 am

Nice result!
sth wrote:What is strange to me - when I moved from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 my image shrank 2px each dimension. Do you think it is related to new filtering?
Yes, there seems to be a bug! the generated exr files for example are 4px higher & wider than the igi and png output...
polygonmanufaktur.de

alexmeyer

Post by alexmeyer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:49 am

Those are some wicked caustics dude... nice! :D
From uncyclopedia.org, on "Elephant's Dream":

"The choice of the title is highly significant, because while the movie does not feature any elephants nor dreams, no one understands what happens anyway."

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:33 am

tabulated spectrum glass rocks! :D and I guess, your glass model is also pretty good for caustics :)

sth

Post by sth » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:00 am

Kram1032 wrote:tabulated spectrum glass rocks! :D and I guess, your glass model is also pretty good for caustics :)
model is very simple - just smoothed slightly twisted loft of starry shape
probably everything ridged made out of glass looks good and casts nice caustics :P 8)

Olis

Post by Olis » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:04 am

Just playing around with blender displacement and self-made environment maps: Image

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 am

Yes, I know, sth :)
Not the hardest thing to do, but effective :)

Very interesting brain-like something, olis...

Olis

Post by Olis » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:41 am

Kram Yeah, you're right about the brain similarity, didn't think of that :)

It's the Musgrave texture.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:30 am

I see :)

4421 posts