Simple Renderings Thread

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
User avatar
lycium
Developer
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact:

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by lycium » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Earth scene yet again... I'm keen to code up a displaced sphere primitive for Indigo (as I've done before in another little project to render the moon), which also supports lazy/cached disk access and level of detail.

One step closer to Indigo Earth ;) It's already amazingly fun to superman around this scene, change the sun's direction (another as yet unreleased feature), etc. Once you can fly down to the Alps, and see the mountains hazing out into the distance... that'll be something.


PS. Here's to 200 pages of "Simple" Renderings! Image
Attachments
globe_test_in_atmosphere3.jpg

neo0.
Posts: 1784
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:11 am
Location: the US of A

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by neo0. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Oh wow, that looks awesome! Being able to render the earth inside indigo would admittedly make make my life a hell of a lot more easier. :) Most of my space scenes involve some sort of planet and most of the time i have to add it post pro in photoshop.

haluperido
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by haluperido » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Stunning!

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4642
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by Zom-B » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:09 pm

OnoSendai wrote:The technique used in this image with the null blend relies on some new null material handling code that hasn't been released yet, so you might have some problems getting a similar result currently :)
Feel free to tell us more :wink:
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
hcpiter
1st Place Winner
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:19 am
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by hcpiter » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:00 pm

lycium- nice and real render ! good job :)

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Contact:

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by OnoSendai » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:01 am

Zom-B wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:The technique used in this image with the null blend relies on some new null material handling code that hasn't been released yet, so you might have some problems getting a similar result currently :)
Feel free to tell us more :wink:
Hi Zom-B,
Currently in Indigo, illumination through partially null materials isn't handled very efficiently, leading to fireflies when combining partially null materials and small light sources (in terms of solid angle) such as the sun.
For this reason it's recommended to use 'step blend' when blending with null.
I have improved this for single directional path tracing, but it's not done for bidir yet.

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4642
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by Zom-B » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks a lot for the explanation Ono :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
galinette
1st Place Winner
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 am
Location: Nantes, France
Contact:

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by galinette » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:47 am

OnoSendai wrote:
Zom-B wrote:Currently in Indigo, illumination through partially null materials isn't handled very efficiently, leading to fireflies when combining partially null materials and small light sources (in terms of solid angle) such as the sun.
For this reason it's recommended to use 'step blend' when blending with null.
I have improved this for single directional path tracing, but it's not done for bidir yet.
Doesn't "architecture glass acceleration" have the side effect of improving this too?

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Contact:

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by OnoSendai » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:18 pm

galinette wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:
Zom-B wrote:Currently in Indigo, illumination through partially null materials isn't handled very efficiently, leading to fireflies when combining partially null materials and small light sources (in terms of solid angle) such as the sun.
For this reason it's recommended to use 'step blend' when blending with null.
I have improved this for single directional path tracing, but it's not done for bidir yet.
Doesn't "architecture glass acceleration" have the side effect of improving this too?

Etienne
Yes, architectural glass acceleration also helps, but in a slightly different way.

neo0.
Posts: 1784
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:11 am
Location: the US of A

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by neo0. » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Most of the pre made planets (aka turbosquid and the like) are waaay out of my price range. It would be nice if there was a repository on the site (naturally only availble to us long time users) where we could incorporate them into our scenes. Just an idea. :)

StompinTom
Indigo 100
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by StompinTom » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:58 am

neo0. wrote:Most of the pre made planets (aka turbosquid and the like) are waaay out of my price range. It would be nice if there was a repository on the site (naturally only availble to us long time users) where we could incorporate them into our scenes. Just an idea. :)
Why restrict it to long time users if it's free?

User avatar
PureSpider
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:37 am
Location: Karlsruhe, BW, Germany
Contact:

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by PureSpider » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:19 am

neo0. wrote:(naturally only availble to us long time users)
So not to you? Cause in my opinion you're not at all a long time user...

StompinTom
Indigo 100
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by StompinTom » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:41 am

PureSpider wrote:
neo0. wrote:(naturally only availble to us long time users)
So not to you? Cause in my opinion you're not at all a long time user...
Anyone remember the old Indigo? Before it was named 'Indigo'?

User avatar
Borgleader
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:48 am

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by Borgleader » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:06 am

StompinTom wrote:
PureSpider wrote:
neo0. wrote:(naturally only availble to us long time users)
So not to you? Cause in my opinion you're not at all a long time user...
Anyone remember the old Indigo? Before it was named 'Indigo'?
When was that :shock:
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

User avatar
CTZn
Posts: 7240
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: Simple Renderings Thread

Post by CTZn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:41 pm

And this one (I don't have the permissions to do so).

Just a reminder that both users involved were equally warned about possible personal interactions of the bad kind.

Responsabilities are shared. Over the years that's the first time that neo0. is loosing control, but the same context was met already in earlier occasions (and warnings applied then).

Also, despite plausible perceptions of neo0.'s ideas I'd like to note that some made their way into Indigo, and not the least. Indigo as an editor ? lol.

So long :)

PS: it should be clear that we are not coming back on this incident, not here.
obsolete asset

Post Reply
4418 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest