CoolColJ's test pics thread

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:19 pm

To turn on the sun, you have to have shadows turned on in SketchUp. I admit, this sux for really big and complex models. The next version of the exporter will fix this...

For your materials that don't work, make sure the faces aren't reversed. Change the face style to monochrome to check for reversed faces. Use the context menu to flip normals. If this doesn't work, I have some other ideas....

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:38 pm

CoolColJ wrote:well I normally use ACDsee to do all my image conversion, so I don't have all those options,
that's why I got frustrated :)
Phuuu.... a real Problem, very very hard to solve, but I'll try:
Follow the greedy algorithm and kick ACDsee from your workflow pipeline and use GIMP or even Paint.NET instead... for example!
polygonmanufaktur.de

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:42 pm

well Acdsee is just a image browser/viewer I use, which I quite like. awesome thumbnail view. I have an older version

looks like Gimp is an image editor like Photoshop? :)
I use PaintshopPro, which is OK, not great, but I'll take a look at it

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:20 pm

CoolColJ wrote:well Acdsee is just a image browser/viewer I use, which I quite like. awesome thumbnail view. I have an older version

looks like Gimp is an image editor like Photoshop? :)
I use PaintshopPro, which is OK, not great, but I'll take a look at it
You posted about two problems you had and that you use ACDsee, so the Idea is just to give you a Prog that can convert 8bit greyscale pictures to 24bit, and saving jpg with basline feature to choose so Indigo wont crash...

PaintshopPro should do this job too...
polygonmanufaktur.de

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:47 pm

yeah it should, but I never tried it because I just assumed ACDSee did the same things. It's so easy to just right click on a texture in ACDSee and convert etc

anyway here is what that Sketchup test looks like after 2 more hours 3000+ samples. Still not that clean
Attachments
im1185777720.JPG
im1185777720.JPG (43.71 KiB) Viewed 5612 times

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:25 am

another sketchup render

A nice effect
I set the 100w 3000 temp emitter to have a efficacy_scale of 300. Cool glow. Handy when I get around to do a Sci Fi scene for spaceship engines and windows/lights 8)

only 500 samples and 1 hour render - textures hide the noise :D

Put my Wacom graphic tablet to good use for creating the central structure
Attachments
CCJ_GlowStructure.JPG
CCJ_GlowStructure.JPG (130.95 KiB) Viewed 5583 times

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:38 am

nice pic :)

Ana028

Post by Ana028 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:27 am

How can you set this texture ? uv or proyection ¿?

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:10 pm

OnoSendai wrote:nice pic :)
thanks, happy accident :)

here is another variation - this one was rendered a bit longer, there is supposed to be water there, but it didn't turn out too well, probbaly needs a bump map and surface modelling
Attachments
CCJ_GlowStructure2.JPG
CCJ_GlowStructure2.JPG (105.54 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
Last edited by CoolColJ on Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:15 pm

Ana028 wrote:How can you set this texture ? uv or proyection ¿?
it is UV, but tiled. In Sketchup and it's exporter, this is done automaticly, no need to fiddle with tags or anything.

I looked at the scene files exported out from sketchup and while they are UV, they are also tiled as well. The textures are very small. Sketchup and I guess the exporter creates a new UV for each time the texture tiles
Maybe you should try Google Sketchup and it's exporter, you can get it for free (google it up ;) ) and the exporter is available here in the forums.

This is something Cinema 4D exporter doesn't do. Thanks to the tip ZomB gave me here
http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... c&start=30

I converted that cubic mapped texture in C4D to UV. So now it works fine - see pic, but it is not tiled like it is C4D, just stretched across once...
It's a pretty big texture so it doesn't look too bad
Attachments
CCJ_Texture testUV.JPG
CCJ_Texture testUV.JPG (77.26 KiB) Viewed 5521 times

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:47 pm

this is what the texture looks like in C4D with it's GI renderer for comparison, UV mapped but tiled on one axis,

doesn't look as nice though :)
Attachments
C4d_texturetest2.JPG
C4d_texturetest2.JPG (59.98 KiB) Viewed 5514 times

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:42 pm

Indigo's sky model in action 8)

Both rendered with MLT up to 300+ samples only

small amount of bloom added
Attachments
CCJ_SkyModel.JPG
CCJ_SkyModel.JPG (145.7 KiB) Viewed 5504 times

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:50 pm

here is a scene with exit portals in action created in Sketchup

there is one in the "sunroof" , one at the end of the dark corridor, 3 windows off screen on the right and one in the window in the room behind the door which you can see.

I originally had glass on the windows, but they were rendering black, so I deleted em, but it turns out the normals needed to be reversed....

there are some issues here, there is a light leak you can see on the ceiling. I somehow assigned the light onto the connectors of the light tubes...it's not obvious within Sketchup until you render.
I had a material/texture assigned to the floor and ceiling but they don't show for some reason even after flipping the normals. Either a Sketchup or exporter issue - dunno

It's been rendering for over 12 hours now, at around 3700 samples and still not clean yet. I tried neat image on it, but it was too blurry. Anyway I may post up another pic if I decide to let it go for longer.

I found I can save camera positions by using the scenes feature in Sketchup to snapshot a camera position including time of the day sun position among other things so I have a few other renders lined up with no sun, the room next door etc
Attachments
CCJ_SU_Exitportals1.JPG
CCJ_SU_Exitportals1.JPG (91.24 KiB) Viewed 5392 times

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:43 pm

Something I put together in Sketchup and rendered in V0.9test4

I imported that Indigo object...and the reason why everything is so full of polys, even though smoothing was turned on for each object in the Indigo IGS file, is because I didn't realise you can select each object/part in Sketchup and right click--> select smoothing and change the smoothing angle to get everything to appear smooth and which I guess effects how the exporter creates the models when exported out...
59.7 degrees is a good number to use
This was the issue I had in the C4D exporter. I have the smoothed version rendering to show later on

top pic is MLT version and MLT with Bidirection at the bottom
both were rendered for around 5 hours on a single core P4 at 3.2ghz.

The sample turnover rate was slower on the Bidrectional version at 1700 samples vs 2974 samples in the MLT only version, yet that the Yellow SSS material rendered quicker and much brighter on the Bidirectional version and just looks nicer!
The sample count difference doesn't really make the MLT version look any more noise free, so I guess you can't always use sample counts to compare between different modes. 5000 samples with MLT with bidrection would be a lot, but with MLT only, I find renders with 5000 sample counts still noisey....

MLT seems to get these orange splotches and dots more than the bidirectional version

Guess I have to start using MLT with bidirection from now on... :)
I tried Path tracing, but the SSS material was black for a long time and very patchy....

also as noted here http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=2301
you can see the Sun position has changed between the 2 types of render ...look at the blue object and the shadows cast on it :P
Attachments
CCJ_Indigo_MLT2974Samples_MLTBD_1700samples.JPG
CCJ_Indigo_MLT2974Samples_MLTBD_1700samples.JPG (121.89 KiB) Viewed 5297 times

deltaepsylon

Post by deltaepsylon » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:34 am

:lol: looks like you are having loads of fun with indigo :lol:

EDIT: w00t, my hundredth post :lol:

695 posts