Thoughts?

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
nmeau

Thoughts?

Post by nmeau » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Hello all,

I would appreciate your feedback on this draft. For a high-res version click here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyy3n8qhqarlc ... 1.png?dl=0

The final images and full back-story will be published here in due course. As a quick intro, this a historical recreation of a famous dance hall built in the early 1940s and demolished a few decades ago. Obviously, I want to make the renderings as photo-realistic as possible and although I’m fairly happy with the current version I still think that it has “cartoonish” feel. Something about the colour saturation, I’m not sure what. I’d appreciate your thoughts on how to “up” the level of realism.

A few notes on the project:

- This is a draft image, and as you can see the final renders will require probably three times the SPP to get to an acceptable resolution. The render is by CPU only, and I need 0.48 to be released hopefully with the Glossy Transparent defect corrected before I can switch on the GTX 1080.

- Historical accuracy is the goal, and I won’t compromise on this. The project has consumed hundreds of hours of research before the model was even commenced, and it is based on historical photographs, rough site plans and written accounts. Textures have been created to reproduce original materials as closely as possible.

- There are 300+ lights in this model, most of which poly. The central chandelier is the primary light source and, yes – it contains several poly bulbs with the light refracting through the Glossy Transparent shade. So most of the image is caustic. Obviously a this is a rendering nightmare, but again it’s all about faithful reproduction so I won’t compromise. In fact will probably do the same to the wall lights to achieve the right effect. I’m very impressed with what Indigo can achieve in this respect, even without the GPU boost.

- I haven’t used portals for the dozens of external windows – the sunlight seems to be secondary. The space has a very dusky and under-lit feel to it which is precisely the way it was in real life. But at night the many lights and coloured fluros created a “veritable fairly land” according to eye-witness accounts. Night-time renderings confirm this impression.

- The light intensity for some of the fixtures needs balancing – this is underway.

- The model was created with Sketchup and is almost finished – some detailing remains for the Mez level windows etc. but I’d say it’s 98% there.

- Mode BiDir MLT; Super Sampling 3; Camera dscs315; EV Adjust 0.5; Film iso 250; White Point D65

Your thoughts and suggestions would be very appreciated and I promise to publish the final renderings and story here, when it’s all done.
Attachments
Draft 0.311 sml.png

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Thoughts?

Post by Oscar J » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:24 am

Well - you have an absolutely huge wooden floor that looks way too uniform to me. Then those coloured lights are extremely colourful. Those are the two things that stand out to me initially.

nmeau

Post by nmeau » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:16 am

Thanks Oscar - the floor is a tough nut, I've tried to replicate the original as closely as possible which was made from 1-inch eucalyptus boards laid in the same pattern as in the picture. It was a huge floor. But I'll dial back the colour saturation a bit, and also tone down the fluro colours.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:42 am

Are you using exponent/fresnel scale maps for the floor?

nmeau

Post by nmeau » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:12 pm

Nope - but I probably should, to introduce some texture. I'll get the manual out..

nmeau

Post by nmeau » Wed May 03, 2017 9:25 pm

All done and published on my history research site. The Cloudland Ballroom was central to Brisbane's (Australia) social scene for many decades, and a unique building. Constructed in 1940 it was the largest and most opulent ballroom in Australia, and probably one of the largest in the world at the time.

I'm semi-pleased with the renders, due to some time pressures felt compelled to publish what I had. They probably need X2 the resolution and SPP, better and more consistent tone mapping. But - people are going nuts over them here in Queensland with lots of media attention and 1,700ish shares on Facebook.

The post is here, with link to website: https://www.facebook.com/househistories/

I'll refine the renders and re-publish over time. Despite the rough edges, I'm very happy with what I've achieved as a relative novice. Thanks to the Indigo crew, and to Oscar for your tips.

M
Attachments
Cloudland Scene 14S.png
Cloudland Scene 08S.png
Cloudland Scene 03S.png
Cloudland Scene 06S.png

pavoda

Post by pavoda » Thu May 04, 2017 9:24 am

Nice work :wink:

nmeau