Get feedback from others on your works in progress
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
Lal-O
2nd Place Winner
3D Software: SketchUp

Modern Kitchen

Post by Lal-O » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:48 am

Hi Guys !
This time ( as always ¬¬ ) i am here looking out for some interior rendering advices , something that could speed up my rendering times.

It is a simple modern kitchen with 7 light layers ( includes Sun and Sky and 1 general light layer as roof spotlights ).

I have lots of doubts when is all about interiors...Like how to choose the right rendering methood, there are so many things to keep in mind... materials, modeling , light layers ,clamp contributions (use it or no to use it ? ), exit portals, cpu, gpu , (or both) light sources ...Etc, etc. I am not complaining , this is just a bit messy to me. :lol:

I tried to use Exit Portals with CPU+GPU , but they are not compatible ....is that right? .
Also tried to use BIDEIRECTIONAL MLT with CPU+GPU and did't work either, indigo change it to PATH TRACING ¬¬.
I guess Light Layers doesn't work if i enable GPU ACCELERATION ,shame cuz it was when everythings goes faster...or am i doing something wrong ?
If i enable the Foreground Alfa and CPU+GPU nothing shows up...is that normal?

These are the things that make me feel confused and so is why i am here... i attach images of my project to see if please you can give me some advices :oops:

Thank you in advance :D

I am using the latest Indigo Version and so is the same with Skiindigo :wink:

Win7 64
Intel i7 5960X 4.2 Ghz
Nvidia Titan X 12GB

These are the things that make me feel confused and so is why i am here... i attach images of my project to see if please you can give me some advices :D

Thank you in advance
Attachments
Try 01.jpg
Interiorres Casa GH INDIGO Exitportals.jpg
Interiorres Casa GH INDIGO Exitportals 02.jpg
Kitchen Help.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Modern Kitchen

Post by Oscar J » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:20 am

Ok, so let's clear some things up. :)

* GPU mode doesn't support light layers or alpha rendering, though it's planned to be implemented soon AFAIK.

* GPU mode only supports path-tracing at the moment, with bidir, MLT etc. coming later at some point.

* GPU mode doesn't support exit portals just yet.

* Exit portals aren't supposed to be modelled like that - just at the windows and other places where light enters.

* Clamping should be used whenever you see fireflies (bright random spots) in your render.

In your case I would either go with BiDir (with or without exit portals, see which one is faster), or brute force it with your Titan GPU, arch glass and a lot of clamping. The latter is provided you can live without alpha rendering and light layers, of course.

Lal-O
2nd Place Winner

Post by Lal-O » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:42 am

Hi Oscar J

Huuum ...I see , well I've learned A LOT today. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH.

About the Exit Portals....Maybe you wont believe me , but they work very well in the "box mode". In that way Exit portals allows you to see what is behind the window ,so in my case i can see my garden :D . If i use them as they should (only in openings) i would not be able to see a thing through my window which turns into more work :roll:

I guess i'll go with BIDirect+Exitportals as you suggested and let work the light layers too.

I was so excited about Light layers and GPU aceleration....but no luck this time , maybe later :) .

I'll post the result of all this as soon as possible.

Regards

Lal-O
2nd Place Winner

Post by Lal-O » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:28 pm

...So..i finally finish my model ( lights, materials , render and camera settings ) and send it to render....i let it " cook" for almost an entire day and....the result is below ....

For sure i am doing someting wrong and i'd like to figure it out what is the problem. Only one shot was good enough to show it because the noise :cry:

I'll attach the .pigs file if you want to take a look or give it a try . :D

Download Link from my gmail drive :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Cheers :D
Attachments
FINAL.jpg
Final 02.jpg
Final 01.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:09 pm

When you boost a light layer by 30, that's almost bound to reveal some noise. The problem is that Indigo samples the light sources based on light intensity. If you have a low intensity light source, it will not be sampled very much. So when you boost it by 30, you get a very bright but undersampled light source, since light layers are just a post pro effect.

Lal-O
2nd Place Winner

Post by Lal-O » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:42 pm

Ok, but then,what is the right way of setting up a night interior with artificial lights? I mean, the escene is perfectly modeled, as it should in real life, that is one of the basics of Indigo, right? Phisically accurate. I have emitter lights behind the glass of the ovens and in the same planes of the glass in the roof lamps. Is that a chance of getting such a noisy night shots? If that is not an issue.. Then what is wrong? for Sure i am missing something :cry:

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:56 pm

You didn't quite understand apparently. :) The outside lighting gets all the CPU priority right now - you need to reduce the HDR intensity and increase that of your emitters.

Lal-O
2nd Place Winner

Post by Lal-O » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:35 am

I guess i finally understand what you say,Oscar J. 8) . As you mentioned before , my light layer settings was too low . I am gonna make a test with higher settings to see how it goes. Hope it helps to solve this :wink:
Thank you very much for help, really I appreciate it. :D

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:38 am

Yeah, the key is not using too extreme settings in your light layers. If you want a cleaner night shot, you should probably re-render with much lower emitting intensity for the outside lighting, instead of just changing the light layers.

Lal-O
2nd Place Winner

Post by Lal-O » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:20 am

Sun and Sky has its own light layer , if i decrease the intensity of any of them is when the extreme noise appears. I've changed the settings in my exporter (Skindigo) With your suggestions, increased the emission scale of the emiters and now everything seems to be WAAAAAAYYYY BETTER !!! Almost no need of touching the light layers. :o
Attachments
Almost no noise.jpg

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:44 am

:mrgreen:
good

Light layers' balancing could be a little tricky with Indigo, I have to say...

Lal-O
2nd Place Winner

Post by Lal-O » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:04 am

Pibuz wrote::mrgreen:
good

Light layers' balancing could be a little tricky with Indigo, I have to say...
Is a relief to hear that :D . I was starting to think that there was something wrong with me :lol:

12 posts • Page 1 of 1