Another LED lamp

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Headroom
Indigo 100

Another LED lamp

Post by Headroom » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:12 am

I've been working on this concept and prototype since September and as usual Indigo is an important part of my workflow. So I thought I'll share a render.

The white plastic - Styrofoam with SSS from the mat db is mostly clear, but the acrylic in front of the LEDs surprisingly is not.

There is not a complete room around the lamp. Basically just a white wall and a studio HDR initially used to get more interesting reflections when I had the LED arms still made out of virtual gold ( a man can dream ;-)
The RGB LED emitters are really small, less than 1 square mm which does not help.
Rendered with Bidir MLT.

The thing is modeled to size and a little less wide than my 27" iMac.
The second image is a photo of a crude prototype to test out the electronics.
This highlights another issue. I've never been able to create renders with colors quite as saturated as in the photo. That may have to do with me not having a color calibrated workflow whatsoever.
Attachments
Ring-O-Star painted LED arms.jpg
IMG_1909.jpg

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Re: Another LED lamp

Post by bubs » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:48 am

very cool man!

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:26 am

Trippy project 8)

I have experienced the same: Colored lights (and their reflections) look much higher saturated on actual photos than on my renders. doesn't really matter how hard I crank up the light layers :-)

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:32 am

Oh wait!
When I use the XYZ sliders instead of RGB and blackbody and crank them up real high, I do get results that could perhaps match your photo, when using camera tonemapping with a high contrast (kodachrome or max-zoom).
But I still can not quite match the saturation of the WOODEN photos, as I need a blackbody emitter for the render :(

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback :-)

I've had the saturation question for a while. user galinette suggested that Indigo might be clamping values somewhere but an answer was never provided by the powers that be ;-)
thanks for the suggestion with the XYZ sliders. I'll see where I can get with that.

Ultimately I would want to video the finished product but video graphing constantly color fading LEDs is rather challenging for camera equipment.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1