Sculptures Whitaker Studio

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Yiqin

Post by Yiqin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:10 am

I will use this thread for all my future work, Whitaker Studio, related projects. I have three to put up for helpful criticism today and hope to be adding more in the future.

All the art work represented is Copyright Lyman Whitaker Sculptor.

I do pretty much all of the 3d sculpture models and model commissioned displays as a side job at the studio. that is what these models are for. At present most models/sculpture displays are presented to clients in sketchup's scanline output I hope to start providing indigo still renders, and short video clips rendered through indigo to clients.

I tend to have a couple problems with texturing especially the more organic parts (I use Sketchup but am starting to learn 3ds Max - If I manage to switch I will be maintaining models for both programs)

And would love some ideas on how to make my patina and copper textures more believable.
I've been eyeing Substance Painter for texture mapping and application but the output wouldn't be sketchup friendly and may not work right with indigo either. If anyone has had success let me know.
Attachments
Supernova final 2.jpg
See notes for supernova 1 same model different angle same environment map
Supernova 1.jpg
The sheet stainless material is close but not quite right it should be a 2B mill finish (which is smooth and reflects light but the color is off and the reflections here are too sharp) I started with the stainless materials in the indigo library. The rod material is good enough.
Eclipse.jpg
Generally the copper I need is not bright and shiny really falls some where between what is in the texture used (a variation of Ornate copper from the indigo material library)
Double Helix Horizontal.jpg
This one has the same patina (blue green texture) and copper texture issues. I also had color issues with this render (post processed the grass in photoshop it was too blue. (grass is furmaker - looking forward to scattering in skindigo)

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Sculptures Whitaker Studio

Post by Oscar J » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:45 am

Can't help you much with your texturing/material issues, though I really think the presentation of the sculptures would be a lot better if you used slick, high resolution backplates and composited your sculptures into them using the shadow catcher feature (more info on that can be found under Support -> Tutorials). Hope to see more soon!

Yiqin

Post by Yiqin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:15 am

Thanks for the input Oscar,

I have a half decent mirrorless camera but I'm not ready to try shooting my own environment maps so I'm just using a few legally obtained freebies (most of which didn't come with backplates). I'm still new to photoshop and only recently realized i should be matching output field of view to the project photo's field of view.

I don't think the indigo team has come up with a way to setup shadow catching through skindigo but it looks like the instructions for doing so from within indigo are simple enough.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:35 am

A simple way to make the sculptures stand out more from the background as well as masking the low resolution of the environment maps, could be lowering the F-stop value so that you get a small depth of field - rendering the sculpture sharp and the background blurry.

Yiqin

Post by Yiqin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:58 am

I did try for a little bokeh effect and its a little more apparent on the full size renders (I resized the images in photoshop before posting), but it sounds like I should take it a lot further when using environ maps.

That said do depth of field phone apps for cameras work for indigo? being based on a physical camera model i would think that they would but I've never tried it. Maybe it's time for me to use the advanced camera plugin in sketchup (I'm also new to real world photography using a sony a6000).

Thanks again Oscar

Yiqin

Merry Christmas

Post by Yiqin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:22 am

Liking the new website! Thought it was finally a good time to post a few more projects...
These two are my own work and do not represent Whitaker Studio. Following posts are all studio projects some of which are in "proposal limbo" and some of which have been commissioned and installed already. I welcome constructive criticism on all my work.

I primarily fabricate, assemble and solder sculptures. Our visualization and proposal planning projects probably take up 5-10% of my time at work so my progress in skills and abilities is a little on the slow side. All work is primarily done in Sketchup Pro, though I have done some work in 3ds Max.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays (whichever floats your boat)!
Attachments
Christmas 17.jpg
My Christmas card render for this year features my family's little cabin, Snowman was from Sketchup warehouse, Trees are Xfrog trees (recolored boughs to white), Snow Shader came from the rippled water texture in the indigo mat library, Background modified from one found online. Rest of modeling and texturing is my work.
Christmas 16.jpg
A little nativity scene I did last year. Modelling all original work. Textures mostly modified from online samples.

Yiqin

Arboretum Concepts

Post by Yiqin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:34 am

These are all concepts that were directed by the Artist Lyman Whitaker, for temporary display at Morris Arboretum.
All are composites. photos I get to work with vary widely in quality and usability anyone have any ideas for how to best encourage a client to provide better site photos?
Attachments
Visitors Center.jpg
Sculpture garden.jpg
This backplate is terrible because my photoshop skills are lacking the original had the previous temporary art display in it, and removing it made for difficult processing.
Pond.jpg
Near Visitor center.jpg
Entrance.jpg
English park.jpg
Azelea Meadow.jpg

Yiqin

Concepts for a city on and near the Fox River IL

Post by Yiqin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:41 am

These are a mix of a composite and an attempt a modelling context. Two concepts, the concept in the composite was the city's final choice, it has been installed.
Attachments
From Riverbank.jpg
From River.jpg
composite.jpg

Yiqin

Various Commercial Concepts

Post by Yiqin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:24 am

These are various concept requests from commercial entities. Most of these have been delivered and installed.
Attachments
Whitaker Studio commerical.jpg
Whitaker Studio Commerical (2).jpg
Whitaker Studio California (4).jpg
Extras in scene are from Sketchup warehouse
Whitaker Studio California (3).jpg
Whitaker Studio California (2).jpg
Whitaker Studio Arizona.jpg
Building model and textures provided by client
Whitaker Studio Arizona 1.jpg
Building model and textures provided by client

Yiqin

Public Projects

Post by Yiqin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:39 am

About half of these are in proposal limbo. See picture notes for which displays were composed by the artist, Lyman Whitaker.

As a side note all Wind Sculpture designs depicted are property of Whitaker Studio.
Attachments
Whitaker Studio Utah.jpg
Installed
Whitaker Studio Utah (4).jpg
Composed by Lyman Whitaker
Whitaker Studio Utah (3).jpg
Whitaker Studio Utah (2).jpg
Concept
Whitaker Studio Texas.jpg
Concept
Whitaker Studio Texas (4).jpg
Whitaker Studio Texas (3).jpg
Whitaker Studio Texas (2).jpg
Concept
Whitaker Studio South Texas.jpg
Installed
Whitaker Studio Nevada.jpg
Whitaker Studio Nevada Stainless.jpg
Whitaker Studio Nevada park.jpg
Whitaker Studio Maine.jpg

Yiqin

Most recent concept

Post by Yiqin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:49 am

Here is my most recent work render opportunity. Unfortunately the rendered concept will not ever be installed. This is a concept composed by the Artist Lyman Whitaker for an arboretum, a simpler and more symmetrical composition was pick for the actual exhibition.

I do think this may be one of my best renders yet. Also this model help me test & showcase the limits of my new studio laptop (i7-7920HQ+P5000 :) )

Plants are all Xfrog plants, and all placed by hand (didn't think I had the time to correctly setup the scatter tools for this one). The plant repetition is a bit obvious but I don't think I could have pushed the system much further with additional model variation.

The only think I probably should have tried was DST material for plant leaves I was afraid the UV mapping would go crazy on me so I didn't.
Attachments
Whitaker Studio Arboretum.jpg
Whitaker Studio Arboretum Night.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:45 am

An impressive collection of renders! In general I feel like the night/evening shots work better because the statues get much more attention, and the renders suffer less from the variation in backplate quality. I'd try going for these kinds of shot more - because of the detailed, ornamented nature of your design, they don't stand out well from backgrounds similar in brightness and structure (such as vegetation).

Another concept of yours that I felt worked, is where you have a stylized 3d background representations with realistic looking statues.

Regarding your full CGI environments, they look a tad oversaturated and divergent in terms of tone. I can recommend the free software Nik Color Efex to add some filmic effects and blend the colours together better.

Keep it up! :)

Yiqin

Post by Yiqin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:21 am

Oscar, thanks for the suggestion. I had heard of Nik collection, and will give them a try. Sculpture lighting simulation was the primary reason I first started using Indigo, the studio agrees lighting adds a lot to the sculptures. We always offer lighting as a recommended option to any commercial or public entity, but it's up to the client, when they are interested then I get to render with lighting.

I will work more on the saturation (I swear my monitors are all calibrated), and have just downloaded the Nik collection, as a heads up looks like Google passed it off to DXO but it can, for the moment, still be obtained for free from https://nikcollection.dxo.com/

Thanks

Yiqin

Post by Yiqin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:05 am

If any readers are wondering the WIP part of my work is simply trying to refine/correct/improve rendering techniques and workflow, I generally don't get time to revisit renders for a single project before I need to deliver visuals and spacing layouts.

Here is the latest, Per Oscars suggestions I applied a color effects filter from Nik collection to my most recent project (a dialed back/tweaked sunshine filter after manually desaturating the stainless (looking too blue/wrong shade for sky in photo)

Another thing about the Nik collection it looks like it may not work with most recent CC versions of photoshop (I hate subscriptions so I'm hanging with CS6)
Attachments
River Rock Concept.jpg
Offsite gallery concept request. Stainless Line of Sculptures by Lyman Whitaker

Juju

Post by Juju » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:44 am

Yiqin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:05 am
I hate subscriptions so I'm hanging with CS6
Check out Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, it isn't expensive, perpetual licence, works with PS files and plugins.

Thank me later...
Indigo 4 | skIndigo | SUpro 2018

26 posts