First Model with Skin and Hair

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
riley1389

First Model with Skin and Hair

Post by riley1389 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:29 am

This is my first rendering of a character with skin and hair. I'm primarily posting it here because (very long story short), my girlfriend thinks I really need to reevaluate the provocativeness of some of my artwork. So I figured I'd get more opinions (:
Attachments
Untitled18-picsay_PerfectlyClear.jpg

James_S

Re: First Model with Skin and Hair

Post by James_S » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:05 pm

You need to work a little more but it's very good overall! I like how you rendered the torso, good job. Can't see anything provocative about it but I think where girls may be coming from. Did you see this guy's hair? That would make all the girl jealous! :mrgreen:

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:45 am

is it the wind or a head motion that blows the hairs ? in both case they might not look this straight behind the character. is this the kind of feedback you are looking for ?
obsolete asset

riley1389

Post by riley1389 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:56 am

Yes, thank you for the feedback!

However, I was actually aware that it was too uniform and straight beforehand. But exporting and then importing so many hairs as polygonal meshes takes a lot of resources. Especially since I use a lot of different tools at one time. Because, at the time I made this (3 weeks ago), I had just purchased and started using Cinema 4D, but knew how to use hair in Blender. But I've taught myself how to use the hair in Cinema 4D since I made this, and it's giving me FAR better results in everyway. I'm actually working on some artwork that uses Cinema 4D's hair (Converted to polygons, of course). which I'll be posting within the next week or two

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 am

are you using Indigo's subdivisions ? they are useful in such dense procedural meshes to produce more geometry because the base mesh can be coarser for a similar result. think 1/2 level of subdivisions, that's orders of magnitude of details more.
obsolete asset

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 pm

riley1389 wrote:But I've taught myself how to use the hair in Cinema 4D since I made this, and it's giving me FAR better results in everyway. I'm actually working on some artwork that uses Cinema 4D's hair (Converted to polygons, of course). which I'll be posting within the next week or two
Looking forward to these... also get to know C4Ds cloth engine for some fitting pants ;)
polygonmanufaktur.de

riley1389

Post by riley1389 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:31 pm

CTZn wrote:are you using Indigo's subdivisions ? they are useful in such dense procedural meshes to produce more geometry because the base mesh can be coarser for a similar result. think 1/2 level of subdivisions, that's orders of magnitude of details more.

The thing is that I used Blender's hair particle children to create the vast majority of the hairs (100 hairs for every root) so they were moved in uniform clusters, so the subdivs wouldn't have made much difference except for when different clusters, but I feel like that could've created the possibility of revealing seperations between the clusters.

@Zom-B - Yeah, there's just something about pants that I find challenging D:

7 posts • Page 1 of 1