Making the Earth

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
CTZn

Re: Making the Earth

Post by CTZn » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:43 am

Onizuka wrote:the real atmosphere is not clerly delimitated by a physical sphere
the atmospberical sphere's radius should be 80km they say.
obsolete asset

Onizuka

Post by Onizuka » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:03 am

I've changed the scale, but I'm still on the same problem

Onizuka

Post by Onizuka » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:38 am

Well, finally, I had a doubt about what said Oscar, so I tryed a render without texture to see if its not a geometry problem... and apparently that's that, for the triangles
Attachments
bvy 1797.jpg

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:48 am

Onizuka wrote:Well, finally, I had a doubt about what said Oscar, so I tryed a render without texture to see if its not a geometry problem... and apparently that's that, for the triangles
If you don't use a sphere primitive for the planet you'll need to use way more polygons for that sphere to eliminate this terminator problem. Your sphere is way to low poly mate, as told before :roll:
polygonmanufaktur.de

Onizuka

Post by Onizuka » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:00 am

Sorry it was not oscar saying that but "Bubs".

Okay but what is exactly "a sphere primitive" ..?

I have also tried to change the exponent, but we still see triangles, and I tried displacement, but it does not affect really, and when I want to change the value, it crashes, every time.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:07 am

It would help to know what 3D software you are on to tell how to use a sphere primitive (a non polygonal perfect sphere).

Exponent doesn't have to do anything with the polycount of the Object, Subdiv has!

If you play with Displacement there is a chance that you alter the subdiv to much, check your RAM usage.
If you use GPU rendering, then maybe your GPU VRAM is filled by to much subdivision, and Indigo crashes...

I would really advice you to go for some basic tutorials to understand the whole concept of the Renderer!
http://www.indigorenderer.com/documentation/manual
polygonmanufaktur.de

Onizuka

Post by Onizuka » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:16 am

mmmh I thought "exponent" did "smooth the surfaces when high value, and ,rough it when low value"...

The software I use is Sketchup 8.

I was using GPU for all this Planet scenes.

Okay thanks for the manual link ! I've already been on it some times, but I must told you I learn the things when I need or try to make a new thing I never did before, like this planets ^^ it's been 2 years since I started Indigo lol. I mean I did not read the entire manual yet

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:20 am

Here you have some older but mostly valid Skindigo video tutorials to show up some great features:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD14E96A2CD263FE1
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 9b6eUq-9QV

The exponent controls the reflections roughness of a material (and can be mapped!):
http://www.indigorenderer.com/documenta ... s/exponent
polygonmanufaktur.de

Onizuka

Post by Onizuka » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:31 am

Ok I see. Yes it may remind me something lol :)

Are there some infos or tutos about the sphere primitive ?

Onizuka

Post by Onizuka » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:43 pm

Zom-B, so many thanks for the tutos links ! I just and only looked at the very short SkIndigo Displacement Mapping and Subdivision Tutorial, and I get it, I have made several tests and this technique makes amazing results ! :)

Thanks a lot !!

I understand also that a primitive sphere is just one of the result you can have by using the displacement map and subdivision, its not a physical sphere as I first thought.. ^^

Using GPU rendering, I've kept the original sphere wich has 8000 faces, and I've set the "max subdivision" to 5 for all the renders here. I tried to 7 max subdivision, but I have spend 15 minutes to wait my computer stop to be frozen and black screen when building scene and subdivise because of not enough RAM, wich I never had, so I've stopped to 5 max subdivision... I am still very impressed by the result and the quantity of details !

I've also set the "subdivision smoothing" because on the oceans, the displacement map texture has no details so I've seen that the triangles are not subdivised enough here precisely.

What do you think about it ?
Attachments
bvy 1821.jpg
So, this is what looks the subdivision without smoothing and the displacement
bvy 1807.jpg
I first made an essai, to practice the tutorial
bvy 1846.jpg
That was too much displacement on the clouds ! ^^
bvy 1844.jpg
bvy 1851.jpg
bvy 1838.jpg
bvy 1839.jpg
bvy 1861.jpg
bvy 1862.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:48 pm

Looks great, but I still dont see any atmosphere.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Onizuka wrote:I've also set the "subdivision smoothing" because on the oceans, the displacement map texture has no details so I've seen that the triangles are not subdivided enough here precisely.
There is a settings called Curvature Threshold. This value describes the angle for polygons that needs to be exceed for the algo to do some Subdivision. It is great to save polygons in areas that are not affected by the displacement :)
For you another great setting is to enable View dependency and set there a pixel threshold. So the algo will not subdiv polys further if it reached a certain pixel size. This pixel size is determined by the internal render scale, so Supersampling affects it!!

Keep it up with the tutorials, there is a lot of stuff to learn, even if not that in depth :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

Onizuka

Post by Onizuka » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:50 am

Thanks !

Yes I had enable view dependency ! And also I tried to change the threshold, but I didn't notice any change on the oceans, so I enabled subdivision smoothing..

Oscar J, No there is still no atmosphere, but I can't get it good, I have still the same problem with the atmosohere, the half of it is black, not depending on the orientation of the sun, or of the geometry; I even tried a bit of subdivision here on the atmosphere, but no change, as I expected...

I tried to play with some parameters, and even tried to create my own atmosphere material, but no success :(

I don't know what is the problem
Attachments
bvy 1871.jpg

Onizuka

Post by Onizuka » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:16 am

Look
Attachments
bvy 1879.jpg
Here the same, but with the atmosphere medium type set to "atmosphere", so I see through, but there is a half of it not appearing...
It's like the Erath is sucked by a Black hole... lol
bvy 1880.jpg
Here I changed nothing to the atmosphere, you don't see the Earth is totally covered...

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:26 am

don't use rainhard tonemapping here! check that all normals of your atmoshere sphere point outwards.
By using displacement you raise the volume of your earth sphere, so it could cover the over sphere ...
polygonmanufaktur.de

55 posts