Interior of business building

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Pikadili89

Interior of business building

Post by Pikadili89 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:57 pm

Hello guys, I am curently working on interior of business building and I have few shots to show you and offcourse few questions for masters :). First of all I done directors office, meeting room and office. But as always I have some problems with render quality, what I mean is the sharpness, that HD look of a render. While indigo is still working the render really looks HD (I am uploading the prt scr) but once I save image (in any format) it loses that sharpness, it's like it get blured or something. Anybody know the trick or had similar problems? The second problem is exposure of EXR map in shots toward windows, do you know anyway to get interior and EXR in some reasonable balance?
Attachments
Sala za sastanke  - prt scr.jpg
Sala za sastanke 1.jpg
Direktorski kabinet 1.jpg
Kancelarija 3.jpg
Kancelarija 1.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Interior of business building

Post by Oscar J » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:46 pm

Very nice renders!

The reason why it looks so sharp in your render window is that you're viewing it at 33%. To achieve that sharp look, render at a really big resolution and then downscale it in Photoshop (with the sharper resizing option selected).

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:54 pm

In bright daylight like in your scene, it's usually a lot brighter outside. You would get that blown out look if you took a photo too, and the reason for that we humans don't notice it as much is that our eyes have a very wide dynamic range compared to what you can view on your computer screen.

To make the exterior less blown out, either save two images with different exposures and combine them in PS, or render with the alpha option box ticked and put in a custom backgound in ps.
Last edited by Oscar J on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pikadili89

Post by Pikadili89 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:34 am

Glad you like it mate and thank you very much for the tips. Just one question, what resolution is big enough for later down sizing it? :)

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:44 am

Oscar J wrote:In bright daylight like in your scene, it's usually a lot brighter outside. You would get that blown out look if you took a photo too, and the reason for that we humans don't notice it as much is that our eyes have a very wide dynamic range compared to what you can view on your computer screen.

To make the exterior less blown out, either save two images with different exposures and combine them in PS, or render with the alpha option box ticked and put in a custom by in ps.
Or : use Reinhard tonemapping (which emulates this)
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:09 am

I usually render it at 200% (2x height, 2x width). There's another advantage in doing this: you can perform some post pro-denoising before resizing the image. Often you'll end up with an image that's both sharper and less noisy by using this workflow.

I hope you're using exit portals? http://www.indigorenderer.com/documenta ... s-sketchup

Looking forward for more! :D
Last edited by Oscar J on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:14 am

galinette: My personal opinion is that Reinhard often kills the dynamics of the image. If it's just a specific area, it's not really worth it.

Pikadili: have you tried using a camera tone map with less contrast, like afgapan 100cd? That might save some details from getting blown outt.

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:18 am

To avoid downsizing you can try other things too...

If you want sharper edges, use the high pass filter in PS.

Duplicate layer, use radius of 0.3 pixels, and then set layer to either hard light or vivid light.

In Indigo itself, for sharpness, use mn_cubic for both splat and downsize with 0.33 ring and blur 0.15.

bacon
3rd Place Winner

Post by bacon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:53 pm

A little bit off topic, and maybe the image isn't finished so I may be stepping
in the sallad here... but a tip anyway..

The board room picture could use a little bit more dynamics to the chairs, now
it seems to be an array of one chair.. this makes the image look very CG.

Anyway good work 8)

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Hi pikadili!
I'm no expert in this but I guess that the loss of "sharpness" you get when you save the image depends on the parameters of the format you choose. I've also spotted this but I actually don't see it as a total con: usually, the "blurring" helps in get rid of the small white artifacts that may occur during the rendering.
Later, in PS you can work with the "sharpen" filter to better control the effect with some additional parameters, and get a sharp, straight image again.

BTW, the lighting you have there is really realistic!
If you are trying to get a rule to set powers to emitters when using also an HDR map..well: that is a whole another story :lol: Dont' be afraid to ask in case!

Pikadili89

Post by Pikadili89 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks for tips and comments guys :)

@OscarJ
Ya I use exit portals :)

@Tar
"In Indigo itself, for sharpness, use mn_cubic for both splat and downsize with 0.33 ring and blur 0.15."
I am not sure I understand what you are talking about :)

@Pibuz
I use not much diffrent options from default when using EXR+interior lights, any sugestion is welcome :)
I am not really skillfull with photoshop tbh so I think I can't do anything in it to sharpen my renders :D

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Pikadili89 wrote: @Tar
"In Indigo itself, for sharpness, use mn_cubic for both splat and downsize with 0.33 ring and blur 0.15."
I am not sure I understand what you are talking about :)
Those are some Indigo parameters that we sketchup users aren't allowed to easily see.
I know Max users can, but at the moment the SkIndigo developers prefer to keep SkIndigo as simple as possible.
I think that adding those parameters, in an advanced panel, wouldn't hurt at all: SkIndigo fits suitably for newbies as well as professional..fiddlers :lol:

Pikadili89

Post by Pikadili89 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:48 pm

Ah ok, but anyway Pibuz, got any tips for combining env map + interior light? :) I mean on proporsions of light power.

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:30 am

Those are some Indigo parameters that we sketchup users aren't allowed to easily see.
I know Max users can, but at the moment the SkIndigo developers prefer to keep SkIndigo as simple as possible.
I think that adding those parameters, in an advanced panel, wouldn't hurt at all: SkIndigo fits suitably for newbies as well as professional..fiddlers :lol:
Completely unaware OP was using SketchUp. Either way, I am sure you can edit the igs file to change the settings. A bit fiddly, but if you want sharpness, then it is there.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:07 am

What is OP?

20 posts