First Trial Render - conclusion - and questions

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
cee

First Trial Render - conclusion - and questions

Post by cee » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:44 am

Hi all,
I am new to Indigo, but testing the revit-indigo workflow for architectural visualisations.
Curious about the output,

I did test the following settings for an exterior scene, with my remarks:

sky captured - I assume with the time/location and sun settings from revit
sky original - I assume with the settings from indigo based on the time setting of revit
path tracing compared to bi-directional both with or without MLT.

My conclusion is for my scene, that
- the sky original setting is a lighter view en clearer view, the captured is often to dark
- the MLT settings gives me a lot of grain. colours are better
- the path tracing gives me less grain compared to bi directional

Further i don't know which setting i could adapt to get a better scene,

The attached screenshot rendered for 18 hours [trial version], but is still very grainy, I assume there should be an other setting to illiminate the grainyness.

Who can give me some tips to get a better less grainy quality, for example for a maximum rendertime of 1-2 hours.

By the way, the glass and other reflecting materials are very grainy, i used glass acceleration, but the grain is to disturbing.

Also I used the camera render settings with a dcsc camera, i assume this doesn't affect the grain in the render. I tried the lineair and reinard, but both were a disadvantage for the quality.

Anyone can tell me which camera setting gives a good colour field?

Grtz
C

ps. are there "sample" limitations to the trial version, only the resolution I believe or does the licensed version render better?
Attachments
indigo- 18hrs.jpg

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: First Trial Render - conclusion - and questions

Post by Zom-B » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Hey C,

I try to answer here some stuff for you :)

First of all, the only limitation of the Demo is the watermark & resolution of the renderoutput, you can use and try each feature of the full version here!

The problem of your scene is that you seem to use some special "Saint-Gobain Glass".
First of all that is used for far rise buildings mostly and second is that you only apply it to the front area of the glass, not to the whole window "glass cube" at all.
Give a simple specular material with IOR of 1.52 and no absorption a try, that should do a great job in your scene :)

The color noise is due to the "Cauchy B" value of that special glass, this is a feature that really takes time to render. Set it to zero for window glass!

For outdoor renderings Path Tracing is always great, maybe with BiDir in some cases. Maybe even give GPU pathtracing a try ;)

The captured sky is more realistic mate, trust me, mostly visible in sun dusk & dawn.
polygonmanufaktur.de

2 posts • Page 1 of 1