my latest project

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
vasco

my latest project

Post by vasco » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Hello,
I' am currently working a relative big visualisation projekt in my architecture office and would like to get some feedback from the indigo pros.

In the moment I'am using a xeon e3 1230-v2 for rendering and my render times are very long. 200-300 hours for the first picture in bdir mlt mode. I have to use mlt because gpu rendering is realy slow with the instanced grass. Maybe there are some tricks for a shorter render times.
Attachments
hallen1.jpg
Hallen2.jpg
Intel Pentium 4, 512MB Ram, Nvidia Riva TNT2 Ultra

Instagram: gorilla_studio_coco

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Re: my latest project

Post by StompinTom » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 pm

200-300 hours is waaay too long, especially for such an over-exposed and over-saturated image... That's like a week! I've never had any real problems with instances + GPU, perhaps post your other settings? A scene like this should resolve in a couple of hours, maximum overnight.

Regarding the image, it lacks a clear light direction, which would help give it more depth. There are about 2 shadows which indicate any kind of dominant light source, but they're so faint and hard to find that it doesn't help the image read. Not sure what's going on with the foreground blur... if it's DOF, then it's way too excessive.

I would broaden the shot to include much more context. It makes the building stand against something and the angle right now is a bit too tight and constricting. I also get the feeling that we're looking more down than straight on. Shift the lens up a bit (do not rotate it) to get more sky (figure-ground) separation.

I think a lot of this could come down to your choice of film response, it's just way too contrasty for this type of image.

My two cents.

EDIT: Second image is much better, however the sky is terrible. Comp in a proper sky map or use a better / more hi-rez HDR map. The glass boxes come out quite nicely, though. Good work!

vasco

Post by vasco » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Hello Tom,

thanks for your note, I know you are working with blender. Would it be ok when i send you a PM with a dropbox link to the file(including packed textures etc.)? Maybe you can find out why my render times are so long. Specifically the noise in the windows takes a long time to get clear.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:37 pm

vasco wrote:Would it be ok when i send you a PM with a dropbox link to the file(including packed textures etc.)? Maybe you can find out why my render times are so long. Specifically the noise in the windows takes a long time to get clear.
Hey vasco,
use Glass Acceleration for stuff like that, this should help with noise behind glass a lot :)
Also give PT+BiDir a try.
If you create a pigs of your scene and send link via PM I could take a look too :)

In My workflow I often render in 200% of target resolution, the denoise carefully and reduce down to 100%.
By this I kill the little noise very nice that take ages to clear...

BTW. I remember that my (old) GPU has also issues with a lot of instances. Its on 100% all the time and the CPU waits for work (on grass instance scenes), but since my GPU is relay sh**, I don't bother.
polygonmanufaktur.de

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:49 pm

vasco wrote:Hello Tom,

thanks for your note, I know you are working with blender. Would it be ok when i send you a PM with a dropbox link to the file(including packed textures etc.)? Maybe you can find out why my render times are so long. Specifically the noise in the windows takes a long time to get clear.
Sure, though I can't guarantee that I'll get to it this week. Bit of an intense time right now, but I'll take a look!

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi Vasco,
If you send me a pm with the link, we can take a look at it here.

vasco

Post by vasco » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:08 pm

ok, now I found a solution by myself. I created the glass material new and now the rendertimes are much shorter. Maybe there were anything wrong with the material settings. :roll: Now the scene makes more fun again. :)

vasco

Post by vasco » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:35 am

Okay, here are my final images.

EDIT: Comments and criticism are welcome.
Attachments
Halle_18-19_2.jpg
street view
vr_Hallen_18-19.Scene.jpg
roof scene day
vr_Hallen_18-19.jpg
roof scene evening

vasco

Post by vasco » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:29 am

Here are two new images, but its not my own design....
Attachments
scene3test1.jpg
GH_House.Scene.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:31 am

Very nice. They are quite moody and high in contrast - was that a look you were aiming for? :)

10 posts • Page 1 of 1