Architectural WIP

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
wlf_alex

Re: Architectural WIP

Post by wlf_alex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:52 pm

I wanted to work again with this visualization. Remade many materials. Replaced the shingles for the roof. Changed the model of grass. Added some details in the scene. Tonemapping same - Reinhard. To be continued (hopefully) :-)

regards...
ArchiCAD 14, Cinema 4D r13, IndigoRender, VrayforC4D

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:18 am

Nice update regarding details :)

Just two things that popped in my eyes:

1) the stone wall has stronger displacement now... I have to admit that I prefer the version before with slightly lower values. Now the stone pop out quiut sharp, maybe a little blur to the displacement map can "fix" that :)

2) The neon green apples on the table are maybe a little to much ^^

For some crispier look try using "radial" splatting filter and "sharp" filter for SuperSampling
I also look forward to some tests using camera tonemapping and maybe give (PostPro) Aperture diffraction a try.
polygonmanufaktur.de

wlf_alex

Post by wlf_alex » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:43 am

Thank you very much, Zom-B! This is very useful comments. I'll try to use them, and show results.

regards...

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:20 am

Very nice picture!!

In addition to zom-b comments, I think that roof shingles are too shiny, which gives them a plastic look-and-feel. This is especially visible on the round border ones. Usual shingles are rougher.
If you tried to make varnished glossy shingles (which could exist), the material should be more "imperfect", which could be done with subtle bump and exponent maps.

Grass and trees are awesome!

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

lape

Post by lape » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:09 am

In my eyes this is a perfect render, awesome! Especially your details and vegetation looks great, I would be very happy if I could achieve such results...
24 hours isn't enough
http://www.werkraum3d.com

wlf_alex

Post by wlf_alex » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:23 am

Thank you guys for your comments and suggestions !
Now I'm trying to do rendering using camera tonemapping. But it is a problem for me. As I said before, the Indigo has a very contrasting films. I chose two films that are less contrasting (F400CD and Agfapan-apx100CD), but they also do not like me. The shadows are very sharp and dark, which lost a lot of detail. Map EXR is set up correctly. F-stop, Exposure duration, ISO set by the rule of "Sunny f/16 Rule" ( http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm#useful ). So what is it? Features of Indigo? Or I do not know all the render settings???

regards...
Attachments
film test.jpg
Film-F400CD; F-stop 16; Exp Duration-125; ISO-100; EV-0.3

dag

Post by dag » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:03 am

If linear tonemapping isn't any good then neither will any camera preset be. They have a "higher" gamma curve. (mid values are darker)
You could save render as .exr then tonemap in photoshop. You will have full curve control.
Open the .exr in photoshop then go to Image > Mode > 8 bits.
There's other tonemapping programs too out there.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:10 am

I always use "agfapan-apx-400CD" as a base to start together with E whitepoint.
There is a good chance that your textures and materials are to saturated, turning way to strong in contrast with Camera tonemapping.
Also Textures should be in a range of 5-204 RGB and not the whole 0-255 spectrum!
polygonmanufaktur.de

wlf_alex

Post by wlf_alex » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:18 am

Well, this is a test of the "camera mapping".
As you can see in all the pictures the sky is almost "killed", because too high ISO settings or EV or exposure of the environment map. However, the shadow continues to be very dark and contrasting. In the real world, so the camera is functioning having a low cost or a bad optics. I am disappointed !
Attachments
Angel-v-1-2-21-3-agpa-400CD-wp-D65-1400.jpg
1. Camera agfapan-apx-400CD, F-stop=16, 1\s=125, ISO=400, WP=D65, EV=0.0, Post work in LR
Angel-v-1-2-21-3-RAW-agpa-400CD-wp-D65-1400.jpg
2. Camera agfapan-apx-400CD, F-stop=16, 1\s=125, ISO=400, WP=D65, EV=0.0, RAW
Angel-v-1-2-21-3-1400-wp-D65.jpg
3. Camera agfapan-apx-100CD, F-stop=16, 1\s=125, ISO=200, WP=D65, EV=0.0, Post work in LR
Angel-v-1-2-21-3-1400-wp-E.jpg
4. Camera agfapan-apx-100CD, F-stop=16, 1\s=125, ISO=200, WP=E, EV=0.0, Post work in LR
Angel-v-1-2-21-3-RAW-agpa-100CD-1400.jpg
5. Camera agfapan-apx-100CD, F-stop=16, 1\s=125, ISO=200, WP=E, EV=0.0, RAW
Angel-v-1-2-21-2-1400-wp-B.jpg
6. Camera F400CD, F-stop=16, 1\s=125, ISO=200, WP=B, EV=+0.5, Post work in LR
Angel-v-1-2-21-2_RAW-F400CD-1400.jpg
7. Camera F400CD, F-stop=16, 1\s=125, ISO=200, WP=B, EV=+0.5, RAW

dag

Post by dag » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:39 am

Well, the presets were taken from films and not modern dsrls, and tbh they are pretty useless if you're looking for highlights and shadow details. Very high contrast, bad grayscales, high saturation etc...

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:09 am

wlf_alex wrote:In the real world, so the camera is functioning having a low cost or a bad optics. I am disappointed !
In the real world there is real sky and no badly done 360 HDRIs that don't cover the whole dynamic of the actual situation! There are big differences in dynamic quality of HDRIs and I suggest yours is kind of flat!
If you try to adjust your tonampping to have a nice sky, the rest of the image will suck since your sky isn't perfect! Since you needed to put a fake sun into the HDRI you should understand that this one has nothing to do with "the real world"...

I would suggest to focus on the main scene, and do a sky replacement in the end :)

Another quick tip is to use WP based on the scene color picker, pick the white chimney and the all over scene should look better and not that much tinted...
polygonmanufaktur.de

wlf_alex

Post by wlf_alex » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:32 am

Well, let's say the problem is the poor quality of Hdris. Then why do I get the same result if I use a system of indigo sky? :(

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:01 am

wlf_alex wrote:Well, let's say the problem is the poor quality of Hdris. Then why do I get the same result if I use a system of indigo sky? :(
How can you get overexposured clouds in the Sky system? Or do I get ya wrong here??
If you talk about the "dark shadow area", the I suggest you to have a look on these images on another screen, maybe yours displays has quite high contrast.
I have two screens here (both different brands) and as much as I try to calibrate them to give the same output regarding saturation and contrast I always fail...
Your rainhard version looks very washed out in the shadow area on my screens, and the camara versions have more contrast, but not to much (on my screens!).
Tonemapping ist postprocessing, save a untonemapped EXR during rendering (checkbox in C4D) and you are free to give other tonemaping apps a try :)
But I have to admit that most of the camera profiels are pushing the contrast and tint quite strong. Some further Tonemapping controls inside Indigo would be very welcome!
polygonmanufaktur.de

wlf_alex

Post by wlf_alex » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:46 am

Tonemapping ist postprocessing, save a untonemapped EXR during rendering (checkbox in C4D) and you are free to give other tonemaping apps a try
good idea! Thanks for the tip Zom-B!
But I have to admit that most of the camera profiels are pushing the contrast and tint quite strong. Some further Tonemapping controls inside Indigo would be very welcome!
+10
I also noticed this feature camera tonemapping, and the last project again showed it.

regards...

kklors

Post by kklors » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:48 am

Might sound like a cheap ass trick but I tend to blend between Reinhard and 1-3 Camera tonemaps in Photoshop afterwards anyway. Mostly because having nice looking darker contrasts is tricky to add by hand on a flat Reinhard render, but a healthy mix can make things look quite natural in my opinion.

I used to post pro photographs in a similar way where I had saved as flat as possible tonemaps covering all the tonality and had contrasty HDR versions for skies, water etc.

45 posts