First Interior - Lithium Design

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
User avatar
LithiumDesign
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:06 pm

First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by LithiumDesign » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:31 am

Had some issues with rendering glass and transparent materials in my studio scenes, here, so decided to move onto some interior renders! :D

I'm a former vray user, for about a year now and found that indigo was fairly intuitive and fun to use 8)
So here is my first interior render with a nice EXR sky for the lighting;

Image

This took 14hours to render on an i5 @ 3ghz with bidir PT, what is the recommended render method for interiors?

Thanks, LithiumDesign :wink:

edit: There are actually emitters in the light housings in the top right at 200W 17.6 lumens/W but they don't seem to light the room at all, do I need to lower the gain of the EXR map and change the camera settings or increase the Wattage of the emitter material? :?:
MaxigoUser - lithiumdesign.deviantart
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz | G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600MHz | XFX HD5770

User avatar
solarray
1st Place Winner
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:22 am
Contact:

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by solarray » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:21 am

LithiumDesign wrote:edit: There are actually emitters in the light housings in the top right at 200W 17.6 lumens/W but they don't seem to light the room at all, do I need to lower the gain of the EXR map and change the camera settings or increase the Wattage of the emitter material? :?:
You know that you can adjust the gain of each light source during rendering? Of course only if you set the different light sources to a light layer within your 3d app before exporting.

User avatar
LithiumDesign
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by LithiumDesign » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:46 am

solarray wrote:You know that you can adjust the gain of each light source during rendering? Of course only if you set the different light sources to a light layer within your 3d app before exporting.
I did not know that, thanks!! :D
MaxigoUser - lithiumdesign.deviantart
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz | G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600MHz | XFX HD5770

User avatar
dcm
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:55 am

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by dcm » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:32 am

using EXR as environment will "mute" real power of emitters in your scene. Try to use sun/sky or pure white color as enviro and your emitters will be in real scale.I reported this long time ago and i hope, this will be solved in upcomming versions. EXR are kinda "overpowered" comapring to emitters.

User avatar
LithiumDesign
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by LithiumDesign » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:17 am

dcm wrote:using EXR as environment will "mute" real power of emitters in your scene. Try to use sun/sky or pure white color as enviro and your emitters will be in real scale.I reported this long time ago and i hope, this will be solved in upcomming versions. EXR are kinda "overpowered" comapring to emitters.
Yeah I noticed this effect!! I've managed to overcome this though by increasing the lumens/W for the emitters - the maxigo preset emitter materials seem a bit low? Anyway, yes in the future I will consider sticking to sun/sky and adding in a sky/environment backplate in post :D Thanks for the tip!
MaxigoUser - lithiumdesign.deviantart
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz | G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600MHz | XFX HD5770

User avatar
dcm
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:55 am

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by dcm » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:39 am

just question, you know about exit portals ?

User avatar
LithiumDesign
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by LithiumDesign » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:23 am

dcm wrote:just question, you know about exit portals ?
Yes, but i have many windows in awkward positions and I'm not sure how I would set up an exit portal for my design!! As you can see here, the building has 2 hallways, that face each other with windows facing each other also; Image

As I am planning to do many renders from different rooms and angles, how will I place the exit portals?

Thanks! :D
MaxigoUser - lithiumdesign.deviantart
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz | G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600MHz | XFX HD5770

User avatar
dcm
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:55 am

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by dcm » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:29 am

place one EP to every window. EP shoud be box with inverted faces = you can remove one face then and you have opened box which can cover terrace for example.

User avatar
LithiumDesign
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by LithiumDesign » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 am

dcm wrote:place one EP to every window. EP shoud be box with inverted faces = you can remove one face then and you have opened box which can cover terrace for example.
Hrm, I put an inverted plane in front of each window, the light comes in just fine and it renders well, but I do not have an "environment... I am using .exr and I pressed continue when maxigo told me i didn't have a sun/sky but my reflections are not right, as you can see here; Image

whats going on?! :shock:
MaxigoUser - lithiumdesign.deviantart
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz | G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600MHz | XFX HD5770

User avatar
dcm
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:55 am

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by dcm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:21 am

you dont need to make plane inverted. just do plane and apply exit portal modifier. be sure that plane is facing towards windows.

User avatar
LithiumDesign
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by LithiumDesign » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:42 am

dcm wrote:you dont need to make plane inverted. just do plane and apply exit portal modifier. be sure that plane is facing towards windows.
That's what I mean, the normals were facing into the interior but I still get these weird reflections? :?
MaxigoUser - lithiumdesign.deviantart
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz | G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600MHz | XFX HD5770

User avatar
dcm
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:55 am

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by dcm » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:53 am

LithiumDesign wrote:
dcm wrote:you dont need to make plane inverted. just do plane and apply exit portal modifier. be sure that plane is facing towards windows.
That's what I mean, the normals were facing into the interior but I still get these weird reflections? :?
try to remove glass and dont intersect portals with geometry. just place them near window only

User avatar
LithiumDesign
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by LithiumDesign » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:34 am

dcm wrote:
LithiumDesign wrote:
dcm wrote:you dont need to make plane inverted. just do plane and apply exit portal modifier. be sure that plane is facing towards windows.
That's what I mean, the normals were facing into the interior but I still get these weird reflections? :?
try to remove glass and dont intersect portals with geometry. just place them near window only
Won't removing the glass take away all the reflections? :shock: and I had the portals 20mm away from each window :)
MaxigoUser - lithiumdesign.deviantart
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz | G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600MHz | XFX HD5770

User avatar
LithiumDesign
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by LithiumDesign » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:34 am

dcm wrote:try to remove glass and dont intersect portals with geometry. just place them near window only
Won't removing the glass take away all the reflections? :shock: and I had the portals 20mm away from each window :)
MaxigoUser - lithiumdesign.deviantart
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz | G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600MHz | XFX HD5770

User avatar
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100
Posts: 1997
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am
Location: Limburg/Lahn, Germany
Contact:

First Interior - Lithium Design

Post by zeitmeister » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:42 am

Since when are exit portals working with anything exept sunsky? Did I miss something?
Cheers, David



DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.2.23 | Indigo for C4D 4.2.22 | C4D R14.042 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Post Reply
17 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests