Chocochoc's Architecture WIPs

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
chocochoc

Re: Chocochoc's Architecture WIPs

Post by chocochoc » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:37 am

Hey Pibuz,

Yes the water is seeable from under the pool, like in that house Rem Koolhaas made in France. I posted some sketchup shots from under on my website, but since it's not rendered I didn't put it here !

For now the water is very dark (I used the skindigo preset) and I didn't model the waves yet(I tried displacement but it was offsetting my surface and giving a horrible hollow edge...so I'll just make a blender simulation and bingo I guess...)

Yeah right, that sample is far too small, It's not enough even to show the detail of bump etc...i'll be posting bigger again. About the fit screen idea, this is cool, but too bad Indigo doesn't do it automatically like luxrender does (midlle click = fit image to screen whatever the resolution, right click = size 1/1 etc...very useful)

I reused that tip you gave me about light as you can see :p However since it's by night I made the yellow powerful.

Mmmmh I'll be looking for IES, any useful link ? I just hope it's not gonna screw my light balance :p

See you very soon for the next episode !

chocochoc

Post by chocochoc » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:55 pm

Hey guys,

Here a new update, the scene didn't progress, it's still empty and composed with dummies, however, I felt I caught good shots so here they are.

I won't hide I'm very proud of that one where you can see the scene through the reflexion of the bulb.

You can find the original light model here :

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... evstart=36

However the bulb is a cylindar and the curve is not very smooth...so I rebuild the light and made a globe rather than a cylinder.
im1320662775.jpg
im1320662523.jpg

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:13 am

Very nice!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

chocochoc

Post by chocochoc » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks zeitmeister !

chocochoc

Post by chocochoc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:20 am

Hey Guys,

This is not cutting edges as a visual, but since as a model it seems to be a good performance for the size / quality ratio, I thought I'd give some news with it.

Obviously it's a tiled displacement map on some simple plain that is subdivided at export, so this is nothing new as a technique.

First I tried with the material database's peddles, but it was soaked in Mortar and the texture was too repetitive, so I decided to make my own.

In the comming days I'll be adding some plants and a few big stones if I'm inspired so it doesn't look like a carpet of peddles.
Attachments
im1321883191.jpg

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:26 am

It is something very interesting for me instead!
I'm very curious about your workflow to get a good displacement: I can't make one!
Please explain carefully how did you do this!!

chocochoc

Post by chocochoc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:00 am

Hey Pibuz !

First, it seems to me that png files can't be used to make maps with skindigo or indigo (at least it doesn't work for me). So be sure to have a jpg or something.

Then you map your surface.
Since Skindigo 3.0.15 you can't set up displacement in the material anymore. To add displacement you have to right click on your object or component and select "edit object".

Which means even if you only have one surface to displace, you have to transform it into a group to reach the subdivision option (this was the case here, I selected the plane + its edges and grouped them).

When you click on edit object you have a new dialog box that appears.
skindigo displace 1.jpg
Depending on the complexity of your object and the RAM you have, you can push the subdivision level more or less high.

I applied level 10 to this simple 4 vertecies plane. I have 8 GB RAM, I guess if I go higher my computer won't be happy. So try it with caution, because if you put a too high value your computer will mostly crash.

You have to keep the "view dependant" box checked, that will reduce useless subdivs and allow you to use a higher level of subdiv.
skindigo displace 2.jpg
Then it's up to the displacement map.

EDIT: Forgot to say, you have to check the displace checkbox in the material editor and specify the strenght of it.

Also when you pick the texture by clicking on the "..." button, be sure to put the gamma a 1.0 or it will tweak your displacement map's values.

The mapping should be set to SU so it matches your diffuse mapping.

I guess you already know that, but if you're confused I can make an extra shot to illustrate it

chocochoc

Post by chocochoc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:18 am

Hey Guys,

I've been adding organic features to my scene recently, features I modeled in blender. First I tought about importing them into sketchup to render them without needing to leave sketchup's environment.

However, since I have to apply modificators in Blender to export my models, I lose reversibility and the weight of objects just becomes crazy and the sketchup export fails. (however it's so laggy that it isn't even workable for me). Autosave lasts during something between 5 and 15 minutes...and well, it's just not efficient.

Since I intend to get into anymation anyway, I decided to continue through blender. However here commes the big problem, Once I export my model to blender, Blendigo doesn't recognize the right texture automatically...which means for the 150 different books I've mapped in sketchup I have to redo it for each of them. Which is not really cool...

So since I can't render the scene with sketchup, nor blender to indigo, I decided I would continue this scene with another renderer.

Even if it is not an indigo render, since I've been posting here about that scene all along, I thought it would be better to show it :
ALKOTOBNour_pinky_ball.jpg

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:15 am

That just blew my mind! :shock:
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

dcm

Post by dcm » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:08 pm

mlt rocks....indigo needs some speedups for this robust method!

awesome image btw

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:45 pm

dcm wrote:mlt rocks....indigo needs some speedups for this robust method!

awesome image btw
Quoted for truth.
obsolete asset

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Wow!

Let it coooooook, please!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

ninopiamonte

Post by ninopiamonte » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:05 am

Hi!

Your works are awesome!!! :D :D That's also a great render. In your first two renders, what image editor did you use?.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Just interested.....

chocochoc

Post by chocochoc » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:42 am

Thanks every body for your kind words !

Now for the specific answers :

dcm > any speed up is welcome :p

zeitmeister > I'm am currently rendering it here and there when I'm out, however, it's already been running for more than 50 hours, so I pretty much lost hope of getting a clean image. I think the detailed Geometry is a reason for the slow result...

ninopiamonte > I used my faithful photoshop :) However, I always try lots of things...so Gimp and co are never very far !

Thanks again every one !

chocochoc

Post by chocochoc » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:25 pm

Here another shot, same conditions as for last one !
ALKOTOBNour_playroom_library.jpg

50 posts