Residential block

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
noelyone

Residential block

Post by noelyone » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:23 am

Hello people!

I've been using indigo for a month now (with Sketchup) and getting some sweet results. However, as I am still a novice, I would appreciate some harsh feedback (where necessary). I have a morning, evening and night shot of the same building.

Look forward to your thoughts!

Noel
Attachments
3.gif
2.gif
1.gif

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Re: Residential block

Post by Pibuz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:18 am

Hi Noel!
These are quite good results for a novice level :lol:

I think best thing would be choosing some more interesting points of views (the photographer eye is very important, some slight Depth Of Field...); some work should be put in the vegetation, but this is something quite difficult due to the lowpoly nature of SketchUp. You can find very good trees in the onyxtree page: you must use an obj importer then to keep the textures correctly UVmapped, and everything..

Last thing is some work on your materials: I notice quite repetitive textures, that is something you should try to avoid if possible..

BTW you've done a good work! Keep it up!

noelyone

Post by noelyone » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:24 am

Cheers Pibuz!

I saw pics of that tower block you did for a uni project the other day - very nice.

I was hoping someone would bring up the trees issue - had a glance at onyxtree and it looks promising, will have a proper look later tonight. Thanks.

The main problem I have with the daytime image is making it look more realistic but I'll probably have to tinker around with materials. Speaking of which, the repetition is a nightmare using sketchup.... any ideas on how to solve this? I guess creating my own materials would be one way........

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:16 am

Yes it is indeed :lol:
You have to choose better textures: I usually pick the best free images I can find on the internet. Only make sure they're tileable or enormous, otherwise you get weird results with wide surfaces. Basically, DON?'T use SketchUp materials, 'cos they use textures VERY lowres to make the models not so heavy..

Out of curiosity, which tower are you referring to? :lol:

noelyone

Post by noelyone » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:29 am

RE: Materials - sounds good, best bet is to probably create my own library of personal materials from photographs online.....

Your image was at least 15 storeys high, residential job, looked like white render. conceptual images, one of which was taken from the base of the tower looking right up!

You seem to know your stuff, I may harass you in the future if I need more advice haha!

Cheers again!

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:56 am

Hey they look pretty good :)

Are you using environment maps? if not then they could be a could way to help unify and provide more realistic lighting in the scene.

Also trees as Pibuz has said could be better and definately don't use the default sketchup textures. Trawl the net for free tileable versions, higher res if need be.

Also some of the people look a little odd - I assume because they're flat images which don't pick up the correct lighting very well. You could always go down the artistic visual route and have the people blanked out or just as sketchy lines rather than photo images which can look a little out of place I find.

If you can, a jazzier camera angle can smarten things up, also some depth of field if possible.

Good start though :D

noelyone

Post by noelyone » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:01 am

Thanks for the info!

No, I didn't use an environment map, just a bit of background photoshopping! However I will look into environment maps tonight. Never done one before but they look a little daunting! Also, I'll have a play with depth of field!

Cheers for commenting, appreciate your insight!

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:18 pm

Oh, for the night shot I have a couple tips for you.

The first one concerns global lighting: either use an EXR map (as suggested) or launch the render with simple sun/sky on separate levels, then during the render turn off the sun and set a very low value for the sky. This will give you a slight dark blue good for night shots.

Second tip concerns the indoor lighting: to provide a certain degree of variation I usually make several cubes, which I texture with the attached image (mapped extremely huge, say 20,30 or even 50 meters); then I place them randomly indoor and make the textured material an emitter, based on the SU texture, not a fixed temperature (keep the emitter on a separate layer).

A similar result is also attached.
Attachments
prospetto MOD.jpg
glow map blur.jpg

noelyone

Post by noelyone » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:06 am

Interesting advice for the night render, I'll have a play with the sun/sky intensity levels! Sounds like I could get some cool results.

I've copied your emitter material so will try that out too..... For the night image I did make a few cubes but textured the inner walls with the same colour light emitter.... Using random light colours for each apartment would give the image a bit more life and variation!

Wow, with all this advice I'll be an expert by Monday! Thanks for your input, I'll probably put a few more up soon for critique......

Noel

9 posts • Page 1 of 1