Neoo's Work in Progress thread

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
neo0.

Re: Neoo's Work in Progress thread

Post by neo0. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:43 am

There spherical idea sounds interesting. I will look into it. There is a lot to think about here and I will go over it soon, but the first question that comes to mind is where would I put the engines?

CTN, are you proposing some sort of satellite generators that orbit around the ship? Because that sounds really neat. :) Maybe like something that detatches itself from the ship, collects hydrogen (for anti matter reactions), and then docks so it is safe while it is converting the hydrogen into anti matter.
Last edited by neo0. on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:51 am

Let's keep this on topic, yes? Just some courtesy, otherwise we'll turn into a Blenderartists.org-type forum.

Neo0: Stick with the idea you've got. You have absolutely no completed projects to show for all the work you've done since you started here. It's been said before: finish what you start, THEN move onto the next idea.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:27 am

StompinTom wrote:Let's keep this on topic, yes? Just some courtesy, otherwise we'll turn into a Blenderartists.org-type forum.

Neo0: Stick with the idea you've got. You have absolutely no completed projects to show for all the work you've done since you started here. It's been said before: finish what you start, THEN move onto the next idea.
Very true. I completely agree. Its just that this project has been sort of a trial and error thing where I look at the design and decide whether it looks sufficiently huge.

CTN, are you proposing some sort of satellite generators that orbit around the ship? Because that sounds really neat. :) Maybe like something that detatches itself from the ship, collects hydrogen (for anti matter reactions), and then docks so it is safe while it is converting the hydrogen into anti matter.

The biggest issue seems like it's gonna be air. Air can be recylced (some machine to remove the co2) but how long would that last? Where would you find more oxygen in space? Water could be stored in giant tanks. It shouldn't be too hard to store enough water. A water tank that is 4 cubic miles could hold several trillion gallons, but that would only be enough for 4 days.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 pm

ENSLAVER: thank you for the compliment ;)

neo0.: Tom is right ! Yup, I was talking stations clustering. Engines ? wehr...
obsolete asset

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Anti matter would work really well. After some googling, only 150 pounds of it or so, and you'd have enough energy for all 6 billion people for the entire day.

Here is the new design.
Attachments
ark2.jpg
ark.jpg

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:04 am

I think that's the farthest you've ever gotten. Keep going.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:09 am

I think im happy with the basic shape of the ship. Now comes the hard part. The small details.

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:13 am

Before making lots of detail, you may start by using a bump like this one:

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/5858 ... xture1.png

Material should be somewhat metallic
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks for the map! I'll look into it.

EDIT : Sketchup is giving me texture artifacts :(

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Mon May 02, 2011 6:54 am

Progress. No more blue painted look. :)
Attachments
ark3.jpg
ark2.jpg
ark1.jpg

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 am

That looks pretty stylish :)

Stars are way over exposed tho

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Mon May 02, 2011 4:01 pm

Yeah. It seems to be related to the EXR. It's the only space exr that I can find, but all the stars in the map function like an individual light source, so they glow way too much in the render.

I've seen a lot of renders based on real world renders and indigo excels at this. They look fantastic and one day I hope for my renders to look that good, but I hope that indigo has some more features for space scenes. Planet generator (maybe part of the exporter anyway) and maybe a starfield generator. This could be a shader I guess (if possible.) It would created physically accurate stars with different apparant magnitude and maybe even randomly shaped/colored dust cloud. Maybe even procedural nebulas one day.

Here's another render. Close up of the engines ~a couple dozen miles tall. The ring in the center is floating, but it would magnetically suspended somehow. In total around 6 engines. Top speed would be relatively slow. Would take a couple weeks to clear the solar system.
Attachments
ark4.jpg
Last edited by neo0. on Mon May 02, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Mon May 02, 2011 4:05 pm

neo0. wrote:Yeah. It seems to be related to the EXR. It's the only space exr that I can find, but all the stars in the map function like an individual light source, so they glow way too much in the render.

I've seen a lot of renders based on real world renders and indigo excels at this. They look fantastic and one day I hope for my renders to look that good, but I hope that indigo has some more features for space scenes. Planet generator (maybe part of the exporter anyway) and maybe a starfield generator. This could be a shader I guess (if possible.) It would created physically accurate stars with different apparant magnitude and maybe even randomly shaped/colored dust cloud. Maybe even procedural nebulas one day.
I think most of that is already possible with ISL. Nebulae can be simulated with procedural noise functions.

You just need to tone down your EXR, it's too bright and dirty. If you look at any space images, there is a very strong contrast between the sunlit areas and shadow areas on objects. Making a directional light source such as a sun would help greatly.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Mon May 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Nice. well I'll see what I can do. A starfield/dust clouds based on ISL would probably work much better, but I'll see what I can do with my exr.

I don't know, would it be possible to add something that could tell indigo to "use this procedurally generated background image for lighting"?

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Mon May 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Just reduce gain of tonemapping!
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

126 posts